SAU Community

V36 Gps - Quote

Hey Chris, is this using the TX wires on the Garmin unit? I looked at this but it said for experienced technicians, so I left it :blush:

nah I'm using somthing different on them. I use garmin on the earlier cars. still fiddling with USB interfacing on the garmin.

Have you changed your console buttons or anything or do they still read japanese?

Everything is the same as when it was imported (including the japanese tv tuner in the boot hooked up to the aux video input).

Having lived with the car for a year I've figured out what the buttons do and haven't bothered with getting them replaced with laser etched or stickers to cover them with english translations. Most of the buttons are for the Japanese satnav so it doesn't take long to figure out how to navigate everything else. Also 90% of the music functions can be done from the steering wheel. Once you've paired your phone via bluetooth, what else do you need them for? Nice to have, but getting the FM band expander for the Japanese radio should be your first priority. :)

Nice to have, but getting the FM band expander for the Japanese radio should be your first priority. :)

Speaking of this, anyone done it before? Would love to have radio back in the car, can be useful (sometimes). Would like to know how it's done, kind of remember doing it in the 34 but that was many moons ago!

Guys,

Wogboy told me that you can just connect a Garmin GVN 53 navi uni to the centre console via the RCA plugs. apparently you just change the system to AUX and you will get the navi up and working.

I might give this a try because this option is about half the cost of getting some guy to get it done for me.

hope this works

Props to Wogboy for this knowledge. :worship:

• 2 weeks later...

I did a similar thing with my iPhone running the Tom Tom app. It works pretty well, and I sit the iPhone in my cup holder and use it's touchscreen to control it. It charges the iPhone too which is nice (I'd imagine most other people would have a cig charger for their iPhone anyway so this can replace that).

I think it's a little nicer than having to control the GPS through this thing - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1468, plus I can play music via my iPhone's iPod (and Google Voice search, Facebook, YouTube, Safari, Dyno apps, videos, Cheap Eats app, Urban Spoon, etc).

Not a perfect solution but pretty nice compromise. For eg, when using the AUX you cannot listen to your V36's Music Jukebox and the picture isn't as crystal clear as the car's regular screen.

I did a similar thing with my iPhone running the Tom Tom app. It works pretty well, and I sit the iPhone in my cup holder and use it's touchscreen to control it. It charges the iPhone too which is nice (I'd imagine most other people would have a cig charger for their iPhone anyway so this can replace that).

I think it's a little nicer than having to control the GPS through this thing - https://buy.garmin.c...hop.do?pID=1468, plus I can play music via my iPhone's iPod (and Google Voice search, Facebook, YouTube, Safari, Dyno apps, videos, Cheap Eats app, Urban Spoon, etc).

Not a perfect solution but pretty nice compromise. For eg, when using the AUX you cannot listen to your V36's Music Jukebox and the picture isn't as crystal clear as the car's regular screen.

How did you connect the ipod to the console?

which cables did you use etc?