SAU Community

why is my rear skipping?

Small bumps in the road on corners send my car skitting across the road with a huge shudder through the ass of the car. Possible causes?.... New 18" wheels fitted recently, rear shocks leaking something (not sure what) therefore maybe they are in need of replacement? Am I on the right track with any of this. Its a little disconcerting. I have king springs all round and have had no problems with them since I put them in six months ago. Any suggestions appreciated.

cheers

Dude, i had this exact same problem with my car awhile back.. turns out the rear shock absorbers were stuffed.. it stopped working completely. i say more that likele your rear suspension.. go to pedders and get them to do test your shocks.. it only cost $14 or something so worht it i reckon.

go to a decent suspension place(not sure about pedders) and ask them to check it out. most times I have done it at the one near me. they don't charge me to tell me what it is. then if the price is right I get it fixed there.

but yeah it sounds like the shocks are gone, oh well. guess its time for coilovers! :(

Small bumps in the road on corners send my car skitting across the road with a huge shudder through the ass of the car. Possible causes?.... New 18" wheels fitted recently, rear shocks leaking something (not sure what) therefore maybe they are in need of replacement? Am I on the right track with any of this. Its a little disconcerting. I have king springs all round and have had no problems with them since I put them in six months ago. Any suggestions appreciated.  

cheers

My car is doing the exact same thing. Will get my suspension looked at.

Thanks for this thread to all involved.

Yes that's what happened to me, the back would get all jittery around corners and over small bumps. I took out the back suspension and after I undid the pillow mount bolt on one of the shocks to get the spring off the shocky collapsed, I could push it all the way down and it would just stay there and when you lifted it all the way up and jiggled it it would fall down all by it's self.

I had previously taken the car to Pedders and they said that they where soft but other then that they where fine.

I have the same problem when going over small bumps (a good example is going "across" a main intersection where trucks have left big dips in the road). The rear end just sorta skips and I get a light squeel of the rear tyres (only under accelleration).

My rear shocks are only 10mths old, rear tyres are 9mths old and I've got Pineapples fitted.

Do any of you guys get axle tramp under accelleration ?

Yeah I think its the back right shock. Cause when I get under the car and shake the car there is a hell of alot of bumping/knocking going on coming from the shock. Oh well, hope this doesn't phcuk up my skidpan day on sat :devfu:

Anybody wanna sell me a set of rear coilovers?

I have the exact problem you describe, it appeared after a skidpan day. Wheel alignment and wheel balancing cured most of the problem but I still occasionaly get the shuddering.

I got my shocks tested at ABS and they said they are borderline acceptable, I say they are f*cked - every little bump gets picked up and the rear feels floaty. So time for bilsteins I think, or i'm considering getting standard shocks again ($170 each)

Greg just chuck in the bit extra and get Bilseins they are $245 each.

I have the exact problem you describe, it appeared after a skidpan day. Wheel alignment and wheel balancing cured most of the problem but I still occasionaly get the shuddering.

I got my shocks tested at ABS and they said they are borderline acceptable, I say they are f*cked - every little bump gets picked up and the rear feels floaty. So time for bilsteins I think, or i'm considering getting standard shocks again ($170 each)

True, but its not the money thats deterring me from the Bilsteins, its bumpy roads! I think the Bilsteins will be a bit too stiff. But I guess there's only one way to find out. Hmm and then there's the decision of Whiteline vs Bilstein, although apparently they are similar :

Well I live in Central Qld and there is a lot of bumby roads and pot holes and dirt roads etc. etc. and I personaly dont find them hard or stiff at all I am also using Whiteline springs.

craz0 thanks heaps for your help! :D i posted a thread on this topic but no one replied! I'll go ahead with the bilsteins, keeping the standard springs because I need the ride height to clear driveways and bumps etc. thanks again

edit: just looked at your photos and was amazed to see your car is the same colour as mine (paint code KN6, yeah?). yours is the only other skyline i have seen in our purplish/dark grey/charcoal colour! I was beginning to think my colour was a custom order or something :) anyway laters,

sorry for the hijack of thread i recommend you get a wheel alignment and wheel balance for starters, could save you a lot of money.

Slamm, definately sounds like your shocks are rooted. Also coil overs are completely overrated when it comes to road grip, that is unless they are setup correctly and used with the ideal ride height. Sounds like you have good springs already so some good shock inserts for your standard struts would be a cheaper and more suited to your criteria, that is if you want to grip not slip!

Greg, for the roads you travel on, I would recommend a firm spring with a medium gas insert. From experience too firm on the shockers results in too much steering effort.

I am glad that my nismo shocks and springs are still good at 100,000k and when they do give up I hope to get them kitted and reuse them.

Thanks to Prank for fixing the new posts tab, that is probably why Greg's thread went unanswered. :)

thanks for all the input ppl. My shocks are screwed. at least one is. Oil (or fluid whatever) is leaking everywhere. They are standard 33 struts replaced when I got my springs done. I lowered the car a month after buying it and when we pulled the old struts out they were both bent. possibly caused by the car being strapped down tight on the boat over?!! the dealer i bought the car from replaced the old struts with, well, another pair of old struts and six months down the track this is where I am. the handling is shocking atm. just like a boat. will tell you how I fare tomorrow at skidpan day. I know I probably should be wary of going tomorrow but I will make a decision there as to how it feels.

still nobody got some old dusty coilovers or adjustables they want to get rid of? or maybe I should learn a lesson on 2nd hand stuff. you just never know.....