SAU Community

Fibreglass Bodykit Panels (Bumpers And Skirts) Illegal?

wilorichie

Hey guys

Was having a chat to one of my mates today and we got into talking about fiberglass body kits.

He was telling me and wouldn't budge on the fact that fiberglass body kits (bumpers and skirts) are actually illegal in qld?

I haven't heard of this before but he is drop set on that being true.

I had a look around online and couldn't find anything about it, including the qld gov modifications pdf.

Anyone?

Cheers,

Richie

Hey guys

Was having a chat to one of my mates today and we got into talking about fiberglass body kits.

He was telling me and wouldn't budge on the fact that fiberglass body kits (bumpers and skirts) are actually illegal in qld?

I haven't heard of this before but he is drop set on that being true.

I had a look around online and couldn't find anything about it, including the qld gov modifications pdf.

Anyone?

Cheers,

Richie

not sure, but considering there were locally made models that had fibreglass pannels, that were low volume production cars (i think eureka may have been the name of one of those(but then again i am a little tipsy so may be speaking out of my ass)), i would say that it may be hearsay

It's only legal to have fibre panels on your car as long as they have passed the certifications, so most cars on the road with frp bonnets and gaurds are actually illegal.

Any car sold in the australian market even low volume still must meet the standards to be sold here so factory frp like the lotus's is legal.

It's a mod.. LOL so they could probably get you if they really wanted to..

Haha - Why do so many people say that! Too many power hungry coppers?

Mods are allowed - We just have a basic guide to follow. Problem is, it doesn't mention everything!

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c792a0c9-92b1-43ee-933b-7bdd8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

The above PDF does mention body kits (flares, rear and front spoilers) but it doesn't mention fibreglass anywhere.

Was just wondering if someone has actually got in the shit for having fiberglass or was told that it was definitely ok.

a kit needs to pass the ADR rules...

if you go to a specific body kit place like DMD or similar they can advise whats legal and whats not...

generally the correct kits come with a compliance cert to say its ADR approved... (very few however)

problem with many kits is they offer less protection/safety for people who get hit... hence they dont pass...

if a kit is better or same as OEM then often it will pass, but you pay highly for doing it the right way...

also your guaranteed to get more attention from everyone...

* cops

* DOT

* people yelling stuff

* people keying cars etc

mainly cause the consensus is many body kits are considered ghey (jokes)

• 2 weeks later...

doesn't matter if its metal or frp when u hit shit it all f**ks up the same.

i don't see rear over fenders a problem as the structural part of the car behind is still there, maybe when u cut them to fit them it could be debated.

front fenders and bonnets don't see the difference between metal guard and frp in an accident.