SAU Community

Sump Extension Price Question

Hey guys, im about to go buy a sump from a very popular workshop/store i dont want to mention names but most people would beable to guess anyway. Its for an r32 gtr, originaly he said roughly 1700 if i traded in my sump, that included sump extension to 10L and baffle kit and welded doors etc. Without my sump traded in he said roughly 1800-1850. Now i rang him to say yeah i wanna buy one, cause my car isnt in the process of getting my build done so i cant trade my sump in just yet, so i said ill buy it out right, hes now said its $2000. Is that a little sus/expensive to you guys. Im gunna confront him on the phone tomorrow anyway but i just wanted to hear from someone thats may have had some experience in this specific stuff. I dont normaly question prices etc and just hapily pay although ive been told to watch my wallet around them before.

Cheers guys.

250-300 for a sump with diff i've seen for sale on here a few times, i'd say get it writing that he'll give you the 300 back and you should be right, the extra is probley like a deposit to give you more insentive to return your sump back to him, though the fact he changed the price is a bit sus unless he is running low on sumps to prefab

250-300 for a sump with diff i've seen for sale on here a few times, i'd say get it writing that he'll give you the 300 back and you should be right, the extra is probley like a deposit to give you more insentive to return your sump back to him, though the fact he changed the price is a bit sus unless he is running low on sumps to prefab

Ah ok yeah that sounds like what it would be aye, Thanks for the reasurance!

Price is about right, I think I know which shop u r talking about, mine was $1700 nearly 2 years ago now

ah ok, how did u go with fitting it up? was it a direct fit and did everything else come together perfect? cause i had a guy pm saying that the front diff has to be shimmed to each different sump etc and to be careful cause it might not fit and u have to get it customly changed etc. which costs a fair bit. His advice was to give them my sump to modify. Which would be really anoying

Are you in Sydney?

Name the place mate, wont hurt as what he is doing is pretty normal for fab shops and we can all tell you if the shop does a decent job.

A deposit, as has already been said, just ensures you actually take your sump back. Personally i would be asking a bit more for a despoit as they would be worth more than $300 on the second hand market....

I would get your sump done. The diff does need to be set up again and all the prelaods etc done when you swap the sump over. It would be much easier to get yours done. Does this place not have the diff supplied with the exchange sump?

They built the engine and fitted everything up, I havnt had a single problem in two years so I can't realy complain. Also bought a spare sum for like $150 so I just gave them that to start with

Hey guys,

I decided to go ahead with the sump as they reassured me it would fit and if theres any dramas to bring it back, so i guess that was good to hear. So i thought i would show u guys what i got. Cause a few of you hear were interested :)

Im quiet happy with the buy although its hard to wrap my head around on how expensive this modifcation is. My only complaint is that the whole sump is quiet dirty, ill have to clean it up before i install it, (which is actualy anoying :/). But the actualy modication is very well done, looks strong, solid, doors work well, extended the pickup arm etc. The pictures dont show the dirt as well, infact make it look really really good. So dont think im just been a fussy person! haha.

I do have a question in one of the photos, just incase its hard to read, My question is that they actualy use a sealing agent through a gun like silicon to attach/seal the sump. Now all the groves etc around the sump is filled with this stuff, ill need to some how dig or clean it out. Just thought id ask if anyone knew of a good way to do this before i started.

Thanks guys!

post-86483-0-08789600-1311671112_thumb.jpg

post-86483-0-33228300-1311671205_thumb.jpg

post-86483-0-60750000-1311671218_thumb.jpg

post-86483-0-52328800-1311671231_thumb.jpg

Thats a Performance Metalcraft sump :D

Had you said that from the beginning i would have said you havent got a worry with him, Leon is a champion and does some of the best work i have ever seen. Shame he didnt have the diff though

FYI re the gasket goo, thats what NIssan specify when bolting the sump to the block. Use heaps of it, dont be shy. You should see sealant ooze out the side all around the sump. Thats when you know its gpoing to seal properly. I use to use about 3/4 of a tube of the stuff on every sump i bolted up lol

I find the best way to clean it is razor blades. Hold them 90 degrees to the sump and scrape away. You will go through a few blades but it wirks really well on every surface you will need to clean on an RB26. A small screw driver works well at scraping out the sealant in the dents on the sealing surface. When all thats done, go to town on it with a wire brush.

Do yourself a favour though, grey selaer looks so much better than the red sealant they supply with the gasket kit. Use the Loctite Ultra Grey on everything. Sump, water pump, rocker cover gaskets (cam cap corners, half moons etc)

Edited by ido09s

Thats a Performance Metalcraft sump :D

Had you said that from the beginning i would have said you havent got a worry with him, Leon is a champion and does some of the best work i have ever seen. Shame he didnt have the diff though

FYI re the gasket goo, thats what NIssan specify when bolting the sump to the block. Use heaps of it, dont be shy. You should see sealant ooze out the side all around the sump. Thats when you know its gpoing to seal properly. I use to use about 3/4 of a tube of the stuff on every sump i bolted up lol

I find the best way to clean it is razor blades. Hold them 90 degrees to the sump and scrape away. You will go through a few blades but it wirks really well on every surface you will need to clean on an RB26. A small screw driver works well at scraping out the sealant in the dents on the sealing surface. When all thats done, go to town on it with a wire brush.

Do yourself a favour though, grey selaer looks so much better than the red sealant they supply with the gasket kit. Use the Loctite Ultra Grey on everything. Sump, water pump, rocker cover gaskets (cam cap corners, half moons etc)

haha ah really. well i bought it from crd anyways. But they probaly make them exactly the same these days. Looks really good tho. I looked up performance metalcraft sump and saw they look very similar and quility work.

Thanks for the information about the goo and cleaning. That helps alot! I might try cleaning it up this weekend. Ill keep in mind about the grey sealer over the red one, Thanks for the heads up!

haha ah really. well i bought it from crd anyways. But they probaly make them exactly the same these days. Looks really good tho. I looked up performance metalcraft sump and saw they look very similar and quility work.

Thanks for the information about the goo and cleaning. That helps alot! I might try cleaning it up this weekend. Ill keep in mind about the grey sealer over the red one, Thanks for the heads up!

Leon does the work for CRD and many other workshops in Sydney. If you got it from CRD its even stranger that they dont have the diff..... I would have thought they of all people would understand its easier to supply the diff.

Its all good. Always glad to pass the information i have picked up over the years

be carefull using too much sealant on your sump as the last thing you want is for it to drop inside the sump and block your oil pickup

Thats the joy of Loctite Ultra Grey, i am yet to see any of it come lose from the inside of the engine and i have stripped down some engines several years after they were originally put together. They were race cars which were stripped and checked every couple of years

Edited by ido09s