SAU Community

Brand 'focal'

popinr33

Hey people..

Just wondering if any of you have heard about or use 'FOCAL' gear in your cars.

I'm looking at the poly glass 165vb for the fronts.

165cvx for the rears.

33v2 sub

With focal 4 channel and a mono amps.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

One of the best speaker manufacturers in the world (home audio and car audio).

I have a set of Polyglass splits and coaxials running through an amp and love them to death.

If you think of it as cars, Focal are like a Ferrari.

Awesome - I've got a pair that I move from car to car - can't live without them. Really great frequency range and very good clarity.

also - buy them from a dealer and NOT off the net. there are copies floating around on ebay that will pass as originals until you listen to them.

I agree with chris, dont by off the net, they make some really good made in china copies.

Focals overrated IMO so many better choices for the money.

Focal amps, hmmmm NO not even on my radar for SQ or SPL, unless your brand loyal sooo many better choices. IMO

Focal subs, fine for SQ, but once again many better and cheaper choices, unless your brand loyal in a generic box they will sound horrible

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:thanks: for all the feed back people.

think im going to go for an alpine type r system instead :yes:

As long as you're going the splits then this is a great choice... I'm yet to hear something that I rate higher than the Type-R splits. But the coaxial and 6x9's are fkn terrible.

man I wish I knew how Alpine brainwashes so many people, Type R are mid range speakers at best LOL

Bang for buck they are quality. Sure there's better stuff available for 10x the price, but I'm not after competition level stuff. I've tried plenty of speaker combinations for around that price bracket, nothing I've heard compares.

man I wish I knew how Alpine brainwashes so many people, Type R are mid range speakers at best LOL

And they appear to be priced accordingly?

What would you recommend then? I've noticed my factory ones seem to have given up the ghost on the weekend, so I'm on the lookout for some.

And they appear to be priced accordingly?

What would you recommend then? I've noticed my factory ones seem to have given up the ghost on the weekend, so I'm on the lookout for some.

I'd give any of these a listen, in the lowish to mid range price around 250-400 bucks , some as low as 100 bucks a pair, not flash looking or fancy but sound fine.

there are other brands but they have to be imported to OZ.

Morel got the best splits award for under 300 bucks

vifa

bostons

dynaudio.

kenwood some models

pioneer some models

DLS

Seas

Infinity some models

MB Quarts

Audax

kicker

soundstream

rockford fosgate

PPI

orion

clarion

JL audio

Polk

Blaupunkt

I'd give any of these a listen, in the lowish to mid range price around 250-400 bucks , some as low as 100 bucks a pair, not flash looking or fancy but sound fine.

there are other brands but they have to be imported to OZ.

Morel got the best splits award for under 300 bucks

vifa

bostons

dynaudio.

kenwood some models

pioneer some models

DLS

Seas

Infinity some models

MB Quarts

Audax

kicker

soundstream

rockford fosgate

PPI

orion

clarion

JL audio

Polk

Blaupunkt

Do the Morels need to be amped to get the best out of them (sorry if that sounds like a noob question)

Mike.

all speakers sound better with more power then the deck can provide, as long as the power is clean, not a 20 dollar amp sound

most decks can only push 20 watts per channel REAL WORLD power even if they say 50 watts, that can be a very distorted power level.

and you can use the xover on the amp (most cases these days ) to protect the mids/tweets from low bass if your using a sub ?

Morels can be touchy if you dont baffle the mids right or mount tight and flat. its easy to over extend the coils and fry them if you dont even with 50 watts they can flap like a bird . they like some resistance behind them otherwise its like running them in free air without a box ? its because the suspension is designed way different then most brands to move fast and clear. without a bafffel you wont like the sound. a bafffe can be as simple as a peice of thin grill cloth stretched on the hole behind them. and some pillow stuffing , not touching the speaker or it will buzz. 10 bucks to do it nothing serious but use care to do it !!

Alpine Tupe X

Lanzar Opti 6

DLS

and a few others are the same as morels and like some baffle . I know I have some..lol but they run a 3" Voice coil and handle 600watts each , like a sub does. most 6 inch mids run a 1 or 1.5 inch coil and handle 80-200 watts

any mid can sound smoother/punchier with a baffle but the above need it without a doubt

Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd just ask here.

I did a fair bit of research, and ended up dealing with a mob that were recommended on CAA. They recommended the following for my Stag:

Front components: Focal 165KR

Rear co-axials: Focal 165CVX

Amplifier: Hertz HDP4

Another option was to leave the standard rears and go with Focal 165KRX2 (200W vs 160W).

Has anyone used any of those and got any suggestions/feedback? 165KRs seem to get rave reviews, and the amp seems to have the power to run everything.

One of the best speaker manufacturers in the world (home audio and car audio).

I have a set of Polyglass splits and coaxials running through an amp and love them to death.

If you think of it as cars, Focal are like a Ferrari.

Not to sound rude, but this is fairly incorrect. Focal make very nice speaker systems there is no doubt, but of the best is debatable.

I say there is something better on offer for every focal model released, money wise.