SAU Community

Fun Cars For <5K

Jonno34

Yeah, I prefer the Aw11 to the 20, im a big fan of the 4-AGE and 4-AGZE engines, hopefully I find a good one around perth - would getting the car from the eastern states - perth be a problem? although shipping + rego + RWC etc would probably eat up a big chunk of my budget ...

how about the supras? these are for sale in perth atm

http://perth.gumtree...QAdIdZ311805887

http://perth.gumtree...QAdIdZ307510304

*edit* - +1 to what james said cars here are a fair bit more expensive than in the east states :(

civics probably my best option and even then a decent EG sedan (i really cant stand the look of the hatch for some reason) goes for about 2.5k

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Honda-Civic-VTI-94-W0QQAdIdZ310806290

Edited by Jonno34

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go a ke corolla i have a ke35 with a 4age... can be built or bought for under 5k... but if you want to throw it around corners might be worth looking at ke 70 as there coil sprung rear end easier to modify to handle better...or even better a ae86.... but for 5k youd be getting a aus delivered one with a 4ac motor or a really dodgy/thrashed 4age converted one!

Edited by rgr34

ae86's are awesome but yeah definitely would not fit my budget unfortunately :(

would love to do the 120Y with the SR20 or CA18 or a KE corolla with the 4AGE - that would be my favourite really since i like the oldies

just worried about reliability on them and the amount of money that would be needed to be spent, it looks like a pretty big project?

theres a 120Y in what looks like decent condition at the moment .. 2.5k

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Datsun-1974-120y-coupe-W0QQAdIdZ312094606

nobody likes the supra?

going to look out for a AW11 mr2 and some civics

I agree with the others the MR2 is a great car, my brother had one but its ability to snap over steer and also the fact that hes still learning to drive i wouldn't suggest the Mr2 for your second car.

My second car was a Honda CRX i still think it was the most fun car I've ever driven. It wont keep up with the turbo terrors but a car doesn't have to be fast in a straight line to be enjoyable to drive get some sticky tires for it some coilovers and because it only weighs 900 kilos you could take it to your favourite spot or the track and because its light you shouldn't go through too many tires or pads ultimately turning it into a cheap track day car.

As a lot of these guys tend to say pick a heap of cars that tickle your fancy then go and test drive them i thought the CRX was awesome but it may be too slow for you in a straight line or you may prefer rear wheel drive, slowly get a list together and go and find your next ride.

My vote is for a Civic, nice lightweight chassis, reliable, and did I mention they're loads of fun?

Plus, you will always have the option in turning it into a serious trackcar.

Just have a look at what the BYP boys have achieved with their civics.

NA Supra and Skylines are fat slugs, I would rather a Falcondoore, it would be quicker.

I had a NA AW11, quick little car, bit sketchy on the limit as the arse likes to come around real quick.

Lots of variables though, RWD FWD 4 6, I would look at the power to weight figures for all your options and then go from there.

Also double the budget at a minimum if you are going to track it.

I agree with the others the MR2 is a great car, my brother had one but its ability to snap over steer and also the fact that hes still learning to drive i wouldn't suggest the Mr2 for your second car.

My second car was a Honda CRX i still think it was the most fun car I've ever driven. It wont keep up with the turbo terrors but a car doesn't have to be fast in a straight line to be enjoyable to drive get some sticky tires for it some coilovers and because it only weighs 900 kilos you could take it to your favourite spot or the track and because its light you shouldn't go through too many tires or pads ultimately turning it into a cheap track day car.

As a lot of these guys tend to say pick a heap of cars that tickle your fancy then go and test drive them i thought the CRX was awesome but it may be too slow for you in a straight line or you may prefer rear wheel drive, slowly get a list together and go and find your next ride.

no real preference for RWD/FWD - im not planning to drift, just want something thats going to be a little bit of fun and something I can learn on the tracks with, and play around with some modifications

straight line speeds not very important to me, ive always preferred a car that handles and stops well

its looking like the civics the way to go! the car will leave me with a good 2-3k left over for some good tyres/coilovers to begin with

may just have a look at a few of the old datsuns/ke rollas around though - i have a real soft spot for them

I havent seen many CRX's for sale but their another one to consider :)

mark the supras i mentioned were turbo http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Toyota-Supra-2-Door-3L-Turbo-1989-5-000-Ono-W0QQAdIdZ311805887

and i've also heard a few opinions that the mr2 is a more difficult car to drive, but im a pretty cautious driver even on the few occasions ive taken the skyline out to skidpans

why do i have a feeling your probably local to me? haha

are you from the north bro?

hahaha yep sure am. and the most fun i ever had was in my vn locker. they sound like a ticking time bomb but go forever :D

looks like hondas the way to go - whats the opinions on preludes/integras?

i can really only afford gen 3 preludes or gen 2 integras

haha considered an mx5 .. but na

Vtec Honda's(civc, integra, prelude), MR2, S13, maybe even turn homo and get an mx5.

IMO try get a light weight car that wil be better suited to the twistys and track work.

Chubbs has a MX 5 and is quicker around the track than most people on here with 1/3 their power, not sure you could get one for under 5k though, but then if your only spending 5k or less you are going to be limited to what you get and how long it will last, look for something with a crap paint job and tatty interior, you may get better value for money if the car is cheap because it looks crap, remeber though that if it looks crap the service history may be a problem.

Fun times ahead..............