SAU Community

66Kg Monster!

-FIGJAM-

What hes tryin to say is that every one is scared about lifting a little bit of weight every now and then, too scared or lazy to really push themselves

If u don't do 1RM how are u supposed to know how strong ur getting or how far u ve come..

Dunno about u guys but getting an extra rep on say 80% of my max doesn't get me excited and motivated as much as getting an extra %5 on my 1Rm best like I did on dead lifts the other day..

Not sayin u should be forever doin 1RM but it definatly has it's place

Fair enough man, I'm not hating on what you're style of working out is, I'm just voicing an opinion like everyone does. All i'm saying is I personally measure ability to lift heavy weights by doing a proper set, with proper form. If I can only push out 1 rep for a certain weight, I know for a fact personally, that my form wouldn't quite be as good as dropping that weight a little bit and pumping out a full 6-8 rep set. I'm not saying don't go heavy. If you do 6-8 reps of say, 5-10% less weight than your supposed 1RM, then you are working just as hard (actually tearing the muscle fibres more), and still very heavy (on the basis that you're struggling like a bastard to get those last reps out). Personally I feel that is something to be just as proud of, and possibly the next week even, you should be pushing to get those 6-8 reps on what was your previous "1RM" was, because doing a full set will increase your strength more than seeing how much you can push out for 1 rep.

What hes tryin to say is that every one is scared about lifting a little bit of weight every now and then, too scared or lazy to really push themselves

If u don't do 1RM how are u supposed to know how strong ur getting or how far u ve come..

Dunno about u guys but getting an extra rep on say 80% of my max doesn't get me excited and motivated as much as getting an extra %5 on my 1Rm best like I did on dead lifts the other day..

Not sayin u should be forever doin 1RM but it definatly has it's place

There's more than one way to measure your strength. 1RM is a rather two dimensional way of doing it IMO. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do it, if it's good enough for the olympics then it's good enough for the gym...but to say that it is the only measure of strength, you might as well have a 100 metre sprint at the olympics and forget about the rest of the running events. Personally, I prefer to knock out a set of 10 reps and whatever weight I can get 10 reps of is my maximum...I find this useful as a measure of strength because it is consistent strength over time / endurance. I have friends who can 1RM more than me, but would be dead by my 4th/5th set.

On a side note...not everyone is at the gym to get the highest lift possible. It's nice to progress this, but there will always be someone who can lift more than you. The most annoying thing about powerlifter and bodybuilder cultures...is that neither respect the different goals of each other or other people at the gym for that matter. They seem to become so obsessed with their own goals/lifestyle that they start to pay out on why everyone else is going to the gym for different reasons. There are some funny correlations too...the fat, strong guys tend to bag people who are in the gym to look good...maybe because they couldn't be assed with the cardio to look good themselves...and the good looking but slimly built people bag the fat and strong guys because they couldn't be assed doing heavy compound lifts.

Fair enough man, I'm not hating on what you're style of working out is, I'm just voicing an opinion like everyone does. All i'm saying is I personally measure ability to lift heavy weights by doing a proper set, with proper form. If I can only push out 1 rep for a certain weight, I know for a fact personally, that my form wouldn't quite be as good as dropping that weight a little bit and pumping out a full 6-8 rep set. I'm not saying don't go heavy. If you do 6-8 reps of say, 5-10% less weight than your supposed 1RM, then you are working just as hard (actually tearing the muscle fibres more), and still very heavy (on the basis that you're struggling like a bastard to get those last reps out). Personally I feel that is something to be just as proud of, and possibly the next week even, you should be pushing to get those 6-8 reps on what was your previous "1RM" was, because doing a full set will increase your strength more than seeing how much you can push out for 1 rep.

Agreed.

Yes I agree that to build muscle 8-10 reps is generally ideal

The original argument was wats the big deal with 1RM, I've stated what it's useful for

At the end of the day if my 1RM is goin up then I know ( and I do) punch out more reps on my lighter sets so it's win/win situation

you stooges.

the guy said "my iphone app tells me what my estimated 1rm is"

I agree that the estimated 1rm is of no use to anyone apart from being able to say "in theory I should be able to deadlift x kilos"

which is wankerish through and through.

saying you shouldn't do 1rms because you might injure yourself is the same as saying you shouldn't run the 100m sprint as fast sa you can because you might sprain an ankle.

1rm is used as "the" measure of strength for power and olympic lifting.

If you are interested in your 1rm then go try lifting more weight than your work sets for single reps, increasing the weight each time till you can't lift a weight.

you would probably be able to lift that weight that you failed on when you are fresh so that is your current 1rm.

but to say "my 1rm should be about xyz according to this iphone app" is just retarded and useless.

at least try to PROVE the app right or wrong by attempting it.

if it doesn't interest you, don't post it.

:domokun:

Atm they would be for deadies

190 x1

170x3

X5 not sure but did 140x10 last week

Losing grip is my biggest issue

Bench barbell

125x1

115x3

105x5

Squats

Approximates based on last week

130x1

115x3

100x5

Squats are pretty weak in comparison to the rest of my body so work to do.

They are decent form though, goin past 90 degrees

Edited by GTR_JOEY

are we talking pounds here??? :P

The whole app being able to estimate your 1mr is just a feature. Is pretty close to the mark to be honest. I went 2kg over the weight and had horrible form. What I like about it is that it tracks what I am doing and keeps me motivated, makes me think I can do more!!

squat 185

bench 107.5 - paused - not that touch and go is any better.. lol

dead 222.5

will find out new number by end of this year if there is a comp on(bench will no doubt be the same)

Edited by GTST

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 15kg by 10 reps, should be moving up to the 17.5s...

Full squat 80kg by 8 reps

Bench Press 60kg by 8 reps

Deadlifts: 70kg by 8 reps

not as impressive as some of your lifts, but I have been steadily improving.

most of these guys have 20kg on you mate, I wouldn't worry about matching up

you should do more bodyweight exercises, that's where light guys like you can smash the big boys... challenge them to a pullup comp if they have a go at you;)

not many guys can go from squatting big numbers to doing 20 pullups

Gotta give you credit for wanting to do it naturally, many hardgainers around your age go the ROID route.

All the time i spend preparing and portioning out my meals etc...pisses me off something chronic!

So many times I've seen dudes get massive in like 3 months due to roids, then once they stop they come back to nothing, at least naturally you can maintain the weight better..

If I could get away with it then yea I'd do it, but I like my job :)