SAU Community

R33 Gtr Advice

ausromeo

Hi all,

Ive just joined up, looking to purchase a skyline. Im new to skylines but familiar with 300ZX's.

Im looking at a series 1 (95') GTR in near standard form with 70,000k's on it. It has an exhuast, pods, boost controller, turbo timer and a heavy duty clutch.

My questions are:

1. Would it be a reliable everyday car? I want to use it about 4 times a week, mostly short trips with the odd weekend 150km trip.

2. What would you expect to pay for this car? Assuming its in neat condition with only a few scratches etc and mechanically fine.

3. Is there anything I should be checking that is specific to the R33?

The car would be kept relatively standard. I know a GTST would be a better everyday car but is there really that much difference in running costs?

Thanks for your help.

Read this buddy

What to look for

If treated properly they are great. If mistreated well obviously you know what happens.

Just think can you afford to maintain youre car? Its not all that bad. Things break but then you fix it. Sometimes big things break, well then you'll be sweating for a while.

A GTST is cheaper to rebuild, and a GTR has two of everything haha (not quite).

Both great cars. you just have to decide what youre getting the car for, and make youre own decision.

Thanks for your advice, appreciate it.

My GTV isnt very expensive to maintain, its only routine maintanance they dont 'break' anything really.

I can do most of the work myself and I im not one to thrash a car. Sure I enjoy a quick squirt once in a while but I wont be drag racing the car. Thats what the sportbikes for ;)

That thread that Jvd referred to is superb.

I had an R33 GT-R for 2yrs + 1 day and I bought it at around 70,000Kms too - appeared quite genuine from history and lack of visible wear/rust and no visible panel/engine removal.

Problems over that period included oil pump > engine out. So check for any oil leak front the front crank collar.

2pce tailshaft went weak and had to be replaced.

That's it. Although coilpacks/looms and air flow meters can require replacement with age/hard use

Lovely car! I'd have no hesitation in getting one if it's the right one; so try several if you can unless it's superb and at the right price.

If need be, get it checked out by someone experienced with RBs.

I've had 2 GT-Rs since and am about to get another.