SAU Community

Technical Advice

hey guys need some technical advice , my car is puffing a bit of smoke on decceleration looks a greyish colour ,, my mechanic (i wont say who so their is no bias opinions) said it may be a valve stem seal? or turbo seals , does this sound right, or is he taking me for a ride? also is valve stem seals a big job? whats involved cheers

yes could be either or oil rings.

coast down a hill in 3rd or 4th gear off the throttle using engine breaking and once at the bottom of the hill just floor it briefly. if it spews out oil smoke out the exhaust its a fair sign theres worn valve stem seals. to do the seals is generall a head off job.

About 6 bucks each, plus head disasembly machining, new head gasket and head bolts etc

wont be much change if any out of 1000 bucks if youre paying someone to do it all

yeah you can get a genuine VRS kit for 300 bucks ish. comes with all gaskets and valve stem seals and parts you'll need for head removal. then you'll need to have head machined 80-100 bucks, and labour + fluids/consumables to do it all 600 upwards so wont be cheap. but the flip side is your top end will be fresh again.

yeah you can get a genuine VRS kit for 300 bucks ish. comes with all gaskets and valve stem seals and parts you'll need for head removal. then you'll need to have head machined 80-100 bucks, and labour + fluids/consumables to do it all 600 upwards so wont be cheap. but the flip side is your top end will be fresh again.

If I were to do that I would fit new guides too.

Which would be ~$400

Hence my $1000 thingy-ma-jig