SAU Community

Trust T517Z""10Cm"" Rb26

just thought i would do a writeup on my trust t517z ""10cm" turbos on my built r33 gtr..

aka( td05 16g with ev03 front housings)

gotta say these turbos are awesome , power delivery is almost the same feeling as a large single , its nothing ... nothing ... nothing and then bang!!

fairly laggy on my bored 0.40# over rb26 , boost start develloping at around 4,500 at the earliest , this is on the road real life driving not being ramped up on a dyno!!

full boost by 5500 and all the way to redline and beyond... with my hks step 2 cams mechanic said power would keep climbing past 9.000 but rev limiter set at 8

power wise these things are gold , i made 290rwkw on only 10psi!!! and when i retune for full boost of 20-22psi expecting around 380-400kw!!

even at 290kw the car feels really quick off the line , and snaps your neck when boost kicks in

in my opinion these turbos are great and recommend them to anyone who is interested!! wouldnt bother with the 8cm ones tho go straight to the big guns!!

Its funny how people like different things to others. Nothing below 4500rpm for example would shit me to tears, but someone else is perfectly happy with that and the huge feeling during transition onto power (which yeah, feels fkn awesome :D)

Sound alot like my Nismo le mans turbos... pretty laggy but at around 4500 they would come on like a freight train.

Was wicked fun and the lag never really bothered me that much. As long as it makes ya smile everytime u get in who cares :thumbsup:

Its funny how people like different things to others. Nothing below 4500rpm for example would shit me to tears, but someone else is perfectly happy with that and the huge feeling during transition onto power (which yeah, feels fkn awesome :D)

Amen to that.

Although many of us have owned cars like this at some stage and probably enjoyed them just as much too. That top end surge acompanied by the RPM is a hoot.

The only thing I don't like about cars setup like that is that a toyota prius can drag you off from the lights and beat you to 60km/h unless your prepared to rev past 5500, and risk attracting the attention of everyone on the road.

Amen to that.

Although many of us have owned cars like this at some stage and probably enjoyed them just as much too.

Standard Soarer lol

Needs >4000rpm to go anywhere

Amen to that.

Although many of us have owned cars like this at some stage and probably enjoyed them just as much too. That top end surge acompanied by the RPM is a hoot.

The only thing I don't like about cars setup like that is that a toyota prius can drag you off from the lights and beat you to 60km/h unless your prepared to rev past 5500, and risk attracting the attention of everyone on the road.

If you are bothered about dragging at the lights then you wouldn't be bothered about attracting attention now would you?! Go the 2 stroke power delivery!!!

If you are bothered about dragging at the lights then you wouldn't be bothered about attracting attention now would you?! Go the 2 stroke power delivery!!!

Its just prius's that bother me and especially prius taxi's. And rightfully so. No self respecting GTR owner can enjoy the fact that a hybrid is quicker from a standing start while being so dam quiet about it.

In standard form and even in many modified forms, GTR's are only quick cars when they are being revved. The rest of the time they are a 1.6 ton car with a low compression 2.6lt motor, delivering a less than inspirational off boost driving experience.

Its just prius's that bother me and especially prius taxi's. And rightfully so. No self respecting GTR owner can enjoy the fact that a hybrid is quicker from a standing start while being so dam quiet about it.

In standard form and even in many modified forms, GTR's are only quick cars when they are being revved. The rest of the time they are a 1.6 ton car with a low compression 2.6lt motor, delivering a less than inspirational off boost driving experience.

Bloody taxi drivers aye?! Mate I hear ya. That's what you get when you have a car with a little engine. The only thing going for skylines is the turbo. If they were all na then no one would buy them except p platers. I bought v8's and v6's for years cos I didn't like the idea of a little engine. Now that I don't care about response any more I'm happy to have a skyline. It will kick the shit out of almost any car on the road if I want and is calm enough for my grandma to drive off boost. If I ever get another v8 it will have a turbo or two that's for sure.

Hey have your cake and eat it too. Get a prius and put a turbo on it...or make a gtr hybrid devil.gif

So your slow between corners.....Annnd slow on the street. thumbs up for that lag!

i didnt start this thread to start arguments just thought id put my personal opinion on the turbos.. sure a set of -7s would be way quicker around corners but i still manage to put the power down just keep it in a lower gear around the corner , and as for slow on the street i got a autogallery yokohama close ratio gearbox in it so 1st gear pulls hard to around 90km and second takes it way past 130km on full boost which is all i need ,, but at the end of the day everyone is gonna have their own opinions and im definately gonna get smoked by a hyundai excell if i flatten it in 4th gear at 60km lol!!!

im one for response, but taking of fast at a set of lights with either turbos can get you into trouble, chirping the tyres or massive wheelspins, youl still be in the shit.

dato$2nv, if that prius takes you at the first set of lights, dump the clutch at 6000 for the next set and see if he keeps up :) congrats on the new setup mate. enjoy

Indeed you can go for many setups depending on power etc.

full boost by 5500 and all the way to redline and beyond...

and when i retune for full boost of 20-22psi expecting around 380-400kw!!

in my opinion these turbos are great and recommend them to anyone who is interested!!

Given -5s would make near on the same power @ 22psi, yet be on 1000rpm earlier

What other turbo set-ups are you comparing with for such a recommendation?

Interesting about the Autogallery G/B, don't you mean it's actually longer if you are pulling 90km/h in 1st tho?

Sounds like it is even longer again than the O/S gearset which is interesting in 1st.

The hard part is finding that perfect balance between power and lag...... the spending never ends hahaha

That's why you have a small turbo for Monday to Friday and a huge turbo for the weekend thumbsup.gif

I was running these turbos 6-7 years ago on a stock 26 and ppg dog box.... Personally I loved them! I don't remember them being 'that' laggy especially compared to other 400rwkw setups around at the time. At the end of the day, you can swap the rear housings for 8cm versions for better response.

Everyone is all hung up on maximum response for the power... I've spent years of my life trying to find the perfect 'ballance' for my 28.

One day it hit me, I love my skylines because the way them make me feel when I drive them... not the dyno curve.

I say to hell with response, hello old school kick in the back and a big grin!!

Pair of td06's for me!!! :nyaanyaa:

PS I'll never get beat by an excell.... I don't race them.

Indeed you can go for many setups depending on power etc.

Given -5s would make near on the same power @ 22psi, yet be on 1000rpm earlier

What other turbo set-ups are you comparing with for such a recommendation?

Interesting about the Autogallery G/B, don't you mean it's actually longer if you are pulling 90km/h in 1st tho?

Sounds like it is even longer again than the O/S gearset which is interesting in 1st.

i agree with you on the response of -5 they are definately a better performer , but ive been in a mates -5 powered gtr with around 390kw@wheels and it didnt feel as quick , it definately was quicker but with the more linear power curve was a bit expected similar to a ls2 with an edit , pretty quick but not very fun ,, but thats just my 2cents on the topic!!

yeah the autogallery box is great , first gear is heaps long for the launch and then the rest seem to be fairly close.. definately much more responsive than the standard ratios , autogallery also released one gearbox which was a os giken 1-5 set ,, but the one ive got is their own custom 1-5 set with tripple cone syncros and a os giken hd input shaft,,

and just for the record every post ive seen you write has generally been negative , be happy man lifes good!! lol

Very interesting regarding the gear ratios, I suppose you could even use 1st gear for some really tight corners then too.

Yeah its all personal whether you want linear torque or lag and then a rush. horses for courses.

i agree with you on the response of -5 they are definately a better performer , but ive been in a mates -5 powered gtr with around 390kw@wheels and it didnt feel as quick , it definately was quicker but with the more linear power curve was a bit expected similar to a ls2 with an edit , pretty quick but not very fun ,, but thats just my 2cents on the topic!!

Agreed there. Most responsive setups are definatly less exciting to drive.

There is one great advantage of running a turbo setup that is capable of pumping much more power than you need. Running well below their maximum potential means the engine is not having to be leaned on as hard to produce the numbers. EGT's will be lower, knock will be lower and it will be under less stress overall. So this makes it a more reliable car.

Compare that to a -5 390kw tuned RB26. Get a bad batch of fuel or have some sort of glitch with the engine setup and your into that area that damage can happen a lot sooner.