SAU Community

Stagea Modification!

Freak1

haha yeah its a very debatable topic and straying from OP, so we'll leave it at that then (i'll meet you in the middle 500chp=275rwkw)! 500 is possible but dont expect too much change from 10G! Yeah my new 30 is soaking up cash fast, with a fairly extensive amount of work & parts, >20G later and i still havent got my turbo or ecu, nor is it in the car yet! Im chasing a target of 350awkw & 1000nm, which im hoping to do with a hks gt3037pros, or the back up plan is a garrett gt32 (trying to keep max response & torque, even though the turbo will be pushed, im hoping mechanical HP will get me there! ). My thoughts anyway.... my estimates are usually alittle pesamistic, but then im never dissapointed in my results! :cheers:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im chasing a target of 350awkw & 1000nm, which im hoping to do with a hks gt3037pros, or the back up plan is a garrett gt32 (trying to keep max response & torque, even though the turbo will be pushed, im hoping mechanical HP will get me there! ). My thoughts anyway.... my estimates are usually alittle pesamistic, but then im never dissapointed in my results! :cheers:

I think there is no chance you get 350awkw with a GT3076 the compressor will run out of flow. You are into GT3582 territory (and this assumes you are going to ignore your ideas on drivetrain loss :rofl:). The car will be awesome with your choice of turbo but peak power will be much lower.

If the fat log gets an RB30 then I will definitely use a GT3076. Ms Wolv spends most of her time in Sydney traffic in cut and thrust driving so it should be pretty lively for a fat car with that combo.

Well maybe, i think it is possible, as the hks flows more than the garrett, even though they are the same size, but at best i know its a stretch. 300 should be pretty easy which i would still be quite happy with & 750nm plus would be grin inducing! The gt32 is also an option, for a little more top end at the sacrifice of some response, but im trying to avoid the gt35 route (unless it was a track car, but then id probs go a to4z)! Im also attempting to do this lowmount & internal gate (yeah i like a challenge), the results should be interesting & atleast it will be a bullet proof street rocket, even if i dont make target! Also i dont like calling turbos by hp, a 500hp turbo doesnt mean you will make 500hp, no more no less, it just a rough guide to suggest, that for its intended use, this may be a suitable turbo for the power goal your intending to achieve. Although there has been plenty of trial error & results with these turbos on rbs. Im still confident that i will get close! (also my driveline will be getting some serious attention too and i will attempt to limit losses as much as my wallet will allow..lol!)

Im also attempting to do this lowmount & internal gate (yeah i like a challenge)

Im running my GT35 low mount, its also internal gate. It all fits on there snugly, only real issue was with a split dump pipe, the wastegate partition wasn't flowing enough causing boost to climb. Made up a bellmouth and it has been all sweet since then.

I've been in a RB25/30 R33 with a GT3582, it doesn't feel like there is any lag at all.

HKS3037 ProS has the same 76mm 56 trim comp with a nice HKS specific turbine housing as a garden variety GT3076. It will still run out of puff long before 350awkw.

Lowmount internal gate is easy peasy btw. The GT30 and GT35 are the same frame so no issues at all on a stock sidemount manifold.

I like using hp ratings for turbos as it gives you an idea of how much air they will flow at sensible boost pressures before they start to become inefficient. Sure water meth or E85 you can exceed these power levels so it is not precise or exact just a fair guide of what they can do. Turbine sizing is also an important factor but choosing mid spec turbine ARR usually gets you there.

ps. I forgot there seems to be a dyno over in SA where you might make the power you want from that turbo. :whistling:

haha ah the magic dyno, anyway..... yeah after reviewing the compressor maps of various turbos (much more accurate than using hp suggestion) & comparing to my engines air consumption needs, i will be falling into the 'choke zone' in the last 1000-1500rpm, so i might fall abit short but will be into the 300s for sure...... could always use E85 to get my target! GT35 internal gate? really, who makes it? didnt think you could get anything bigger than the hks? hmmmmmm, i do like the specs of the new garrett gtx35 turbo though, so maybe a hybrid of sorts might be the go?!

The GTX wheels so far seem fairly disappointing also worth noting they run the old spec turbine. They need higher boost pressure to get them going but ball tearing results from them are rare as unicorn poop it seems. There just aren't many local results. The GTX3076 being the most disappointing IMO. My old GT3040 performed the same for much much less money.

Mick_o just installed a GTX3071 (and the 71mm flow maps indicate it is a pretty good bet to have the 76mm GT wheel covered). Mick's early results are in forced induction, he has a few issues to sort out before he gets his final result but it looked ok without shooting the lights out for power output at 20psi. More boost and E85 it will crack 300rwkw.

I just installed a new GT3076 with an ATP 0.82 twin scroll housing on the R33. My car will be on the same dyno next week and we are hoping to overlay the two. They will not be direct comparisons due to different turbine housings and manifolds but still interesting info.

The tuner in question indicated that he hasn't seen any results from the GTX to make them change a car with existing GT spec turbo. A new install might be a different thing?!?

GT3582 internally gated is very available (there is even a GT3576 thanks to the turbo falcons out there) but there are also some other interesting turbos out there like the Kando (ex-mitsubishi tooling), BW EFR (if they get their act together) that might be worth reviewing as well on a serious build like yours.

Many places you can get the GT35 here is a link to ATP ATP GT3582

The internal wastegate rear is a garrett item, uses the same 5-bolt dump pattern the GT30's do and also the XR6 Turbo. Mine is the .82 AR rear but there were other options. I measured the wastegate port to be 32mm which flows enough for my setup but Ive heard of the XR6 guys having to machining out the port bigger to flow enough for the 4L.

Im not sure if there is an internal gate option for the newer GTX35 series.

haha yeah its a very debatable topic and straying from OP, so we'll leave it at that then (i'll meet you in the middle 500chp=275rwkw)! 500 is possible but dont expect too much change from 10G! Yeah my new 30 is soaking up cash fast, with a fairly extensive amount of work & parts, >20G later and i still havent got my turbo or ecu, nor is it in the car yet! Im chasing a target of 350awkw & 1000nm, which im hoping to do with a hks gt3037pros, or the back up plan is a garrett gt32 (trying to keep max response & torque, even though the turbo will be pushed, im hoping mechanical HP will get me there! ). My thoughts anyway.... my estimates are usually alittle pesamistic, but then im never dissapointed in my results! :cheers:

20g no turbo or comp pinch.gif gold plated or what or all work done by shops ???? thats ouch what parts?? hks should see little more than a 3076r but i reckon still just shy of 350 just putting final touches to chucking the 3076r with a .64 rear external gate on mine atm, dyno time should be with in next week or so see what we pull this time :devil:

Ok well the garrett website doesnt seem to indicate an internal gate 35, with the 32 being the largest they list, so i might have to do a bit of digging & jump on the dog n bone! I was under the assumption i was stuck with a 3037...... might just get that 350 after all! Yeah tell me about it 4bidn, I have a fairly impressive spec list so far, sporting a whos who of performance parts, but the budget is well n truely blown..... problem of working in the parts industry, constant temptation!

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to do a step 3 tuning?? high flow filter, 3in exhaust from the turbo back, chip and rise boost to 1,2 bar?? without destroying the engine cause i heard that the fastest way to kill the engine is to do this kind of tuning typical volvo tuning!!

Is it possible to do a step 3 tuning?? high flow filter, 3in exhaust from the turbo back, chip and rise boost to 1,2 bar?? without destroying the engine cause i heard that the fastest way to kill the engine is to do this kind of tuning typical volvo tuning!!

Filter yes

3in yes, mandrel bent is best

1-2 bar no, max 12psi on stock turbo

Have you bought a turbo yet Zorro (just caught up with this thread)?

I have a GT3540 with a .63 exhaust and response in any gear including 4th or 5th is amazing from 2000rpm. I think when its tuned again it will top out at about 330 -350 awkw.

You could probably run the .86 housing and still have great response and make 400kw if you want.

However if you are happy topping 300kw the 3076 would do but then what's the point of the forging and balancing and expensive parts??!!

ive run 17psi on stock turbo :D lasted me 1 year of flogging before the seals actually blew and it burnt oil to the shithouse. core was still fine, no shaft play either. had stock ceramic rear wheel and stock steel wheel on the front.

i ran turbo at 17psi, power fc untuned, 3" mandrel exhaust with split dump, splitfires, and apexi pod.

when running rwd mode, i could easily light up 235 tires with NO clutch dumps in 1st gear.

with clutch dumps, i could light up all the way till 3rd.

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking about cutting a few laps on the feathers of Stagean is it a good idea? I can not afford coilovers or some other lowering kit: (

Have you bought a turbo yet Zorro (just caught up with this thread)?

I have a GT3540 with a .63 exhaust and response in any gear including 4th or 5th is amazing from 2000rpm. I think when its tuned again it will top out at about 330 -350 awkw.

You could probably run the .86 housing and still have great response and make 400kw if you want.

However if you are happy topping 300kw the 3076 would do but then what's the point of the forging and balancing and expensive parts??!!

Yeah mate I have! I went for a HKS GT3040 .87AR, external gate with high mount HKS mani, should well and truely smash the 350 now!

also Freak1 are you thinking of cutting the coils to lower your car? Not a good idea!!!