SAU Community

What Did You Pay For Your Skyline / Performance Car Recently?

This.

It's also very hard to compare cars and prices.

I got my R32 GTS-T for 5k not registered in Oct 2010. But I wanted a largely original and tidy example (particularly) the interior. I've spent another $4400 getting it to the point where I wanted it.

Some people obviously want way too much for their car but some people also pay peanuts for a car that's rough as and end up paying for it down the track.

gets it in one line :) (btw I knew what I was buying.)

I have seen a few $5k cars that were cut/shut units where the owner was none the wiser. also seen a fair few GTRs with side swipe damage and rear side hits that people have paid silly money for.

so for those that are saying they got a bargain - how deep did you look when you bought the car?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so for those that are saying they got a bargain - how deep did you look when you bought the car?

Saw this thread a few weeks ago and was waiting for someone to hit the nail on the head. Very good point above, when it comes down to cars - in most cases, you get what you pay for.

Im shopping for an R34 GTR at the moment, Ive had 3 or 4 offered to me for around the 36 - 37k mark, however these were for obvious reasons.

I'd rather hold out and spend the required $45k - $55k for a fantastic example, rather than just settling for something average.

So what you're saying is that your car is illegal and not insured. :sleep:

Yes sir. :thumbsup:

But on a serious note, car yard did rwc for me (owned by habibs tho :D )

and just car insurance ftw?

You're a f**kwit, go marry a tree and get payed nothing.

He means run into a tree.

Nissan 200SX S14, for $2000.

No motor

No gearbox

Not much interior

Very few exterior panels

Still registered though :D

Ready for a straight 6 of Nissan or Toyota Heritage :P

No major problems found yet....

^^^ That's what one guy was overheard to say outside the 40th floor when he'd just jumped off the 50th.

But you never know...

One woman was known in the smh to have sold her hubbie's 500SL for a hundred after he'd gone to Fiji with his secretary for 2 months and announced his intention to divorce. He said, "You mean $100k?"

She said, "No $100" and hung up.

Sad to say that alot of people need cash fast and cannot afford to keep their cars, if your willing to low ball theres bargains to be had if your lucky and they need cash quick, Ive known guys who have come into some cash but then spent it all on crap, when its rego time theres no money and a car sitting in the driveway, I also know guys who search out these guys with a pocket full of cash.

Unfinished project cars can be had for a pitance of there real value too, my mate picked up a clean HQ one tonner that needed paint for $500 from a guy that was being posted to Darwin, he had no room in his new residence for it, 2 months rego, a 307 with a powerglide, and HQ statesman front end, he had spent a ton of cash on it.

Ive been hit myself with a AW11 MR2 which I was trying to sell before I went overseas, no takers at all untill a guy turned up wanting to buy the rims and some interior parts which he said he would pay $600 for, I told him he could have them for $600 if he took the car away.

Some one sell me a clean VL for $500.......

gets it in one line :) (btw I knew what I was buying.)

I have seen a few $5k cars that were cut/shut units where the owner was none the wiser. also seen a fair few GTRs with side swipe damage and rear side hits that people have paid silly money for.

It's all a false econemy. The maths goes; Car + cheap = winning...until all the costs from inherent problems arising from said cheapness.

As I said, I paid 5k for mine, thinking it was in alright condition. But it all adds up. Overall the car has cost me well over 10k. Looking back, I should have purchased an "overpriced" R32 in excellent condition for 9k-ish.

Edited by Truffles

A car is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it . The killer for the market is when some tool buys a shit box for cheap , then expects a good example of the same car to be worth the same amount.... The good thing about performance/rare cars is that even if they do drop in price , eventually the shit ones get wrecked so there are less of them which pushes the value of the good ones back up :) . Don't believe me? 2 years ago there were heaps of r32's rolling about for 5k that look reasonable and were manual turbo , now there is sfa and people are asking more $$ for them :) , the same will happen with r33 and the same thing will happen to r34's etc

Considering most people here are skyline owners and depreciation on the surface seems like a bad thing, however have a fender-bender, need some parts or whatever you can buy it cheap.

Also if we didn't have the rapid depreciation most people here would be priced out of a skyline! Compared to other cars a skyline 32,33, 34 holds its value much better, have a look at how cheaply you can buy a V8 or 2j soarer.

How about flipping the conversation for a few posts.

I just SOLD one of my R34's in excellent condition for $17k in 1.5 weeks (and I actually had 3 people after it at the time).

There still are buyers out there looking for the good ones, realise how many below average examples are out there and willing to pay for the extra for a great one.

post-86021-0-97356300-1325287127_thumb.jpg post-86021-0-16692100-1325287133_thumb.jpg post-86021-0-71822700-1325287230_thumb.jpg post-86021-0-44259700-1325287236_thumb.jpg

Just thinking, I also helped a mate purchase an Evo VIII a few months ago.

While we were shopping, i was amazed how many of them (around the $24 - 25k mark) had a whining diff, siezed AYC pump, close to bald tyres, hardly any rego, had obviously done more km than on the cluster, poor resprays,

A replacement AYC pump alone from Mitsubishi is $3500. Used, maybe $1000 - $1500 fitted. But you can see how quickly it can add up if you buy a shit box. He ended up paying a little bit more and touch wood, hasnt had any issues.

Then again, there are always some legitimate bargains out there, and some cars will always just be hard to sell. Just a grain of salt, but food for thought. Happy new year every1.

Wow I feel like such a dunce I payed $16,000 for a r34 25gt

2000 model,,,

At least it had low kms.....

That you can prove are real?

Not being a dick but yeah skylines with genuine kilometres is a very "prove it!" sort of situation.

That's what I mean, like at the time I was like yeah! My dream car is in reach!!!

Now I'm like F*#K I wasted a load of money on something I can't prove

I bought the car n the odometer read 69666km

Edited by SkyBlue92