SAU Community

Cutting Hole For Ic Piping?

Tony de Wonderful

Apparently cutting holes in the walls around washer bottle, or under battery tray in those "structural" areas are illegal and turn your car into a write off? I wanted to cut a small hole under the battery tray in that side wall where the tow hook is in my R32 to run piping through for a front facing plenum but a tuner / mechanic scared me off the idea... So im not so sure any more about cutting random holes

We used to get them all the time and knock them back on RWC's for it. You can get the cut approved by an engineer, and its easire than you think. Just have a chat to your nearest engineer and see what he says, it usually just involves stitching some flat plate around the area to give its stiffness back. Also, remember, measure twice, cut once and try to paint and line the exposed area to stop the steel rubbibg through your IC pipework and your car rusting.

what kind of place has an engineer? Are they special mechanics? We just call them Cert shops in NZ where a Low Volume Vehicle Certifier checks over your car and its modifications, eg suspension, exhaust, air bag suspension etc etc and if its at legal height and not a dodgy install he certifies it and puts a fancy little plate on your fire wall with the mods engraved. Is it the same here? I need to find out the ins and outs of this sorta stuff, its so much stricter in this country down.gif Cant build a 300kw car on your learners plates and legally drive it to school here

yep, in aus they have automotive gingerbeers, or certified inspection officers. You get it inspected, he signs it off, gives you a sheet of paper and if the mod warrants it, a blue plate.(in QLD anyway, unsure of other states)

• 4 weeks later...