SAU Community

Personal Training

TUFF_350

Hey guys,

can anyone point me in the direction of an online only PT course? Would like Cert 3 & 4, not for career path but just something extra to put on the CV and also due to me being a health and fitness nut! After the accelerated learning approach i guess, eg real estate agent style.

• 1 month later...

Wouldnt recommend it but there are some, check google... Better idea is aif does a part time online course BUT you need to do practical face to face sessions occasionally also...

Oh also if you want quick two nights and one weekend per week for 16 weeks gets you cert III and IV at AIF... I did the course and its brilliant.

I did mine through AIF years ago. Since then the industry has been flooded with 'personal trainers'. Fortunately I have a core group of clients that keep the $$$ coming in and I have started developing my heavy lifting knowledge (Strongman/crossfit) .

Good luck with it tho.. its a great career path if u can put up with the negatives that come with it.

I did mine through AIF years ago. Since then the industry has been flooded with 'personal trainers'. Fortunately I have a core group of clients that keep the $ coming in and I have started developing my heavy lifting knowledge (Strongman/crossfit) .

Good luck with it tho.. its a great career path if u can put up with the negatives that come with it.

Curious as to what some of the negatives you've experienced are? Reason I'm asking is because I'm currently studying the course at CIT, and wouldn't mind hearing what I may/may not be in for.

In terms of doing it online, I wouldn't. I'm studying the course full time mon-thurs and it will take me 2 semesters to get my cert III and IV. A proper long duration course through CIT is usually preferred by employers as you're seen to have more knowledge going in to the industry for work.

Edited by TM7GTR

I started it at CIT and hated the course, thought it was crap and a few employers I spoke to also said they weren't happy with how little practical experience cit pts had compared to AIF and that they preferred the training at AIF over CIT but it varies from one business to the other.

Curious as to what some of the negatives you've experienced are? Reason I'm asking is because I'm currently studying the course at CIT, and wouldn't mind hearing what I may/may not be in for.

In terms of doing it online, I wouldn't. I'm studying the course full time mon-thurs and it will take me 2 semesters to get my cert III and IV. A proper long duration course through CIT is usually preferred by employers as you're seen to have more knowledge going in to the industry for work.

I love personal training - don't get me wrong - and the course at AIF was great.

I think CIT is alot better now due to the influx of students and better PT's teaching there.

Some negatives that I've experienced and observed are the 'no shows' and the time wasted because of them (hate), up and down levels of work. if ur an independent PT and want to train someone at a gym, the gym might ask for % or charge you per hour to use the facilities. If u work for a Pt business then they take a cut of your hourly rate.. and if assigned to a gym u may or may not actually train anyone and will find yourself putting the gym rat's weights away. If ur employed by a gym u could be paid the same as the phone bitch or that weird creepy guy who walks around wiping down equipment.

Fortunately my main job is being a public servant and I offer some cardio/circuit work during lunch. I take 6-8 people within my department twice a week 15$ per head, and its enjoyable. Also I train people one on one after work and weekends.

I'm really focusing on the heavylifting and crossfit stuff.. its alot more interesting and I'm starting to train alot more girls who want to lift heavy and get definition as opposed to just being skinny... definitely a positive.

Again these are just my experiences and I do love it. But I've seen alot of people go down this road and not make it because of how hard it can be to secure work.

More than happy to talk to u about more.

Edited by S T A R 3 3