SAU Community

Scanner + Technician required to reset/train Skyline V36 ECU

cvcomp

Scanner + Technician required to reset/train Skyline V36 ECU

Hi Folks,

Have got a 2007 Skyline v36 350GT sedan that requires some work.
A couple of 'mechanics' have looked at it to no avail.

Basically it was stuffed up during a routine service by the original mechanic.
I think he unknowingly reset the ECU while messing with the electronic throttle bodies.

Need a competent technician to look at it (who has the right scanner).
At the moment, the car is hunting for revs between 1000 and 2000RPM - contently back and forth.

Probably not a difficult job for someone who knows what they are doing and as access to the right tools.
Anyone you guys could recommend?

looks like you might just need to do a throttle position learn procedure, just look/search on myg37.com and you will be good to go mate. Doesnt need a mechanic to do the learn procedure i had that prob on my coupe a few years back.

Hey thanks for that - I'll give it a shot.

I have a feeling that the mechanic has already tried this procedure - but the ECU loses the programming every time the car is switched off.
I'll give it a go anyway, but might need to track down a replacement ECU + tech to program it.

Can an individual tech with the right scanner do the job themselves? Or does it have to go to a dealer?

If it is anything like the VQ35DE, messing with the throttle body(s) without doing the full re-learn procedure will almost always cause these symptoms, I found that the symptoms would improve greatly if you drove the car until it was fully warmed up, then stopped the engine and re-started it.  But when it fully cooled down again, it was back as bad as ever, that was until the full relearn was done, then no problems ever again.

So if the issue is reoccurring on your car, it is more likely the mechanic hasn't actually completed the relearn rather than the ECU 'forgetting'.

There is a non-consult procedure for the V35, but it involves a bit of accurate timing, waiting for flashing CEL sequences, holding you tongue right, etc.. If the V36 is similar, it would be much much easier If you have access to a consult or good clone.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think you may have hit the nail on the head my friend.

I went through the the non-consult procedure yesterday. It appears to be only idle hunting when the car is in park at the moment, but will take it for a spin later today to see if it's still doing it in drive as well. Previously, it was jumping in revs while you were sitting at the lights... which makes for some 'interesting' driving. Basically had put the handbrake on every time I stopped.

Does the re-learn process just involve driving the car around for a bit, or does it require the car to be plugged into a scanner + software?

I am not sure of the requirements on the VQ35HR, but on the DE, the engine needs to be properly warmed up, then there is a pedal position learn, throttle closed position learn, and then the idle air volume learn, they are all done either via consult, or a throttle pedal/ignition key sequence, there is no driving required at all, other than to warm the car up.

When you get the sequence right for the idle air volume learn, you should see the idle rpm drop quite low, rise to about 1100rpm and then settle back to the correct idle rpm.  If you aren't seeing these symptoms, then the re-learn isn't happening.  again assuming the HR is similar to the DE.

• 5 years later...

Hi there 

could you please update whether you solve this problem or not 

Ive got the same problem with my Skyline V36 350gt 

after cleaning the throttle bodies, car now hunting on idle 1000 to 2000 rev 

The mechanic tried almost everything but no luck car still hunting 

any idea what to do 

thanks

I’ve been through this problem with a 2007 V36 sedan. It is a nightmare. If you look through enough forum posts from the US, it seems there is a fault with the relearn process sticking with 2007’s specifically.

After countless dead-ends a mechanic friend of a friend mostly solved it with his snap-on consult device. He found my exact jdm model on the scanner whereas the Nissan dealership were trying to use the 350z heading.

As mentioned the parameters for the idle relearn are quite precise. In my research I’ve also read that forcing a fault & then clearing it can help. Unplug a maf sensor while the car is running which will cause a code. Clear the code & then try the entire realern sequence. 

The last resort would be to replace the throttle bodies.

Good luck 👍

To preface all the below, I dont know what I am talking about here.... however

I previously owned a 350 GT Coupe; just got my 370 in Jan. Every now and then, I would "clear"  the ECU's stored learning by disconnecting the battery for a while (I would leave it over night). That cleared some learned data, and when I next drove my car, it was noticeably different ("punchier").

I dont know, but maybe that would also clear the learned idle and force the relearn for idle also.:unsure2:

I use to use my Bluetooth ODII scanner and Nissan Datascan app to force a relearn of idle. But it was never a problem, so I cant say I noticed any real big change; maybe a very slight lowering of idle. I remember that, as I thought maybe it had gone too low.

Edited by Vee37

I have had the same issue and my mechanics also have other customers with 06-08 V36 VQ35HR engines with these issues. Some of the 350z series ii gets them as well. So far we were unable to sort this out but get new throttle bodies or swap it from another vehicle.