SAU Community

Just brought SAFCII- now how do i use it?

JaFF

OK, as the title suggests I just got a SAFCII- paid $380 brand new.

I am pretty much a noob at this sort of thing but wanna get better. :Oops:

I have a R33 GTSt Series 1 with 100K on the speedo just had major service. It has a full 3" exhaust, turbosmart boost controller(5psi for normal running, 11psi for track), and turbosmart BOV (although this was fitted when i brought it and i'm thinkin bout going back to original) and also a turbo timer which i actually use.

I was wondering how to tune this thing and what i should look out for when installing it? (I havn';t recieved it yet)

I have read briefly somewhere that you should initially tune it with the aid of a dyno? WOuld this be the best thing to do?

Any help or information on this thing would be great.

:D

JaFF

ONLY tune it on a dyno!

whatever you do, do not fiddle with it unless its on a dyno so you can check your a/f ratios.

its pretty easy to lean it out and do serious damage. once you have installed it, just leave all the settings on 0 (zero) until you are able to get some dyno time. mine gave good results

good luck.

just wondering what are these things like if you have upgraded the turbo got fmic and go and buy 550cc injectors.. could you make it run better easily or is it better to get remap/new ecu.. i know the second option would be better but for a patch up till i can afford a new ecu would it be fine?

rbs13, your much better off getting a remap. The SAFC isnt designed to accomodate new injectors, let alone a bigger turbo on topetc. Remember, all you're doing is fooling the stock ECU, and it becomes a limitation itself eventually! It would help things quite a bit tho, and you can always sell the SAFC again after you're done.

but the SAFCII is like $400 or so, then you've got your full dyno tune time .. how long would it need on a dyno to tune a SAFCII? probably end up not all that worth it in the end? be on your way to having the money for a full management system. the small gains u make with the safc2 in the meantime probably arent that earth shattering that you couldnt have gone without them and saved for a bit longer?

it wouldn't cost more then around $100 to get an s-afc tuned, well worthwhile if you aren't looking at doing anything serious. The gains really depend on how bad the state of tune was previously, and how many mods you have done since. You should be able to see a nice 10-15rwkw increase in most of the rev range if you haven't had your car tuned before with abit of boost, full exhaust and an fmic for example.

off your topic, jaff, but how can you run 5psi when the factory wastegate spring doesn't open until about 7psi with a full exhaust?

Wouldn't the turbosmart then be, instead of bleeding pressure to fool the wastegate spring to get a higher boost, adding pressure (which is not possible) to open the wastegate earlier?? :confused:

The factory wastegate spring is 5psi in a S1 33 GTS25t...

FWIW my DIY bleeder when closed gives 5psi all the way thru the rev range... The factory 2 stage boost is disabled...

I have the standard dump, 3" front and 3" cat back...

Back on topic...

I have an SAFCII... Installation is relatively easy if you download the English manuals from the US Apexi site... If it appears that you are missing wires from the wiring loom, you are looking at the wiring harness from the wrong direction... I soldered all my connections rather that using the included crimps and taps... Just a bit more reliable that way IMO...

You will need to enter the settings for your car before the car will start once it is wired in... HW4 in, HW4 out, and 1/1 calculation...

rbs13, your much better off getting a remap. The SAFC isnt designed to accomodate new injectors, let alone a bigger turbo on topetc. Remember, all you're doing is fooling the stock ECU, and it becomes a limitation itself eventually! It would help things quite a bit tho, and you can always sell the SAFC again after you're done.

Cant remap r33's, the ecu microprocessor and the rom chip that contains all the maps are on the same chip, only r32's and silvia's can be remaped.