SAU Community

Tein Or Bc For My S2 R33 Gts-T

After a few high speed runs at bobbin head and cottage point and round sydney i think it's time to change out my suspension for better riding comfort and maneuverability on the streets.

Although i've never tracked or drifted the car i'm just lookin for a set of coilovers that can offer me the maximum driving comfort on the streets because i'm going to start behaving myself on the roads =]. So sticking with known brands than going with some cheaper knockoffs for the sake of my car i'm curious whether i should start saving up for a set of Tein Super Streets and the BC equivalent BR series. My r33 Gts-T series 2 is current running stock set up and some unknown springs because the guy i bought it off did quite a few dodgy mods to the car... (E.G. melting plastic on the coil packs). Bought this car late April 2011 so it's almost a year old. I'm planning on installing coilovers soon after my upcoming major service.

Any input or suggestion for alternatives is greatly appreciated. Domo Arigato! :domokun:

After a few high speed runs at bobbin head and cottage point and round sydney i think it's time to change out my suspension for better riding comfort and maneuverability on the streets. DONT TELL US THIS..

Although i've never tracked or drifted the car i'm just lookin for a set of coilovers that can offer me the maximum driving comfort on the streets because i'm going to start behaving myself on the roads =]. So sticking with known brands than going with some cheaper knockoffs for the sake of my car i'm curious whether i should start saving up for a set of Tein Super Streets and the BC equivalent BR series. My r33 Gts-T series 2 is current running stock set up and some unknown springs because the guy i bought it off did quite a few dodgy mods to the car... (E.G. melting plastic on the coil packs). Bought this car late April 2011 so it's almost a year old. I'm planning on installing coilovers soon after my upcoming major service.

Any input or suggestion for alternatives is greatly appreciated. Domo Arigato! :domokun:

as for coilovers if you want driving comfort and are going to slow down... get some standard shocks with springs.

or if you want the best of both worlds go the way of the teins and get the EDFC to change the damper on the fly.. I have run the BC's for a few years and although they ride better than most of the cheaper brands of coilovers its still a bit of a bumpy ride and through places like bobbin head it will be too harsh with teh bumpyness of that road

Jeff,

I agree with Dave. You'll find that not many folks here are very impressed with folks claiming to drive hard on public roads. It is a reason we offer so many driving events in this club.

Now that lecture is over. If you want better car control from suspension I'd suggest getting your suspension bushes checked out before you invest in suspension gear. We had a suspension tech night a few months back and they really stressed that these cars are getting old with many k's. You have to expect the stock rubber bushes in the suspension gear to be at end of life and needing to be replaced. Once that is sorted then you have a good solid base line to decide what it is that your suspension needs - ride height (coil overs), roll control (sway bars), stiffness (Springs/shocks), damper control (shock/coil over), camber/caster/squat/roll center adjusters, etc. But the answer isn't really as easy as "do this and it will handle just the way you want." Suspension matching to what you want is really about getting a well balanced set-up that suits what you want to do with your car. Agree that if you want better control and ride then I'd start with replacing worn bits first - bushes, rod ends & stock shocks if they are worn out.

I just happen to have had it done two weeks back and it has totally transformed the way the car drives. I didn't realise just how much my rear cradle and arms were moving about under cornering and bumps (especially bumps). I can highly recommend that as the first place to start.

I installed some pedders coil over super x i think they are about 6 months ago. For around $1600 (i installed myself retail $2400 installed) These coil overs offer 30 clicks of damper adjustment and plenty of room to adjust height. At the maximum soft setting the car almost feels like standard suspension but with minimal body roll. I drive mine all day everyday on halfway so 15 clicks. This offers a nice firm ride but not back breaking. I also went all out and fitted the front adjustable camber bushes and new radius rod bushes in the front end. Improvement was amazing. All these items were pedders so the match and balance between components is 100%. They also took care of my wheel alignment and they also offer a free setup of the ride height with purchase of the coil overs.

Finally they are fully serviceable like the teins and parts are easily available from any of their stores. A good entry level coil over for a good price. Hope this helps. Heres a vid of the product :)

yeah thanks for the recommendations fellas. i'll get the bushes, shocks and all that checked out.

Being a 17 year old car obviously expectations of worn out parts should be no surprise, also knowing that creating comfort via suspension isn't easy considering all those factors you listed i guess i'll definitely replace the worn out suspension parts as a firm first step. Thanks again guys =]

Yeah i realized more people lean towards tein for track/streets ride-ability. i'll definitely lookin into the EDFC thanks for the suggestion Dave!!

I read bout the pedders earlier today on another thread Cal. Thanks for the recommendation i'll give that a look as well and do some research =]

I would start off with checking out all the bushes like people have already said then i would recommend bigger sway bars before coilovers. They are cheap for the gains you get, less body roll and don't effect the ride comfort, if anything its better ride comfort because your not falling out of your seat around corners.

No dramas jeff. If you have any other questions just PM me, im a licenced mechanic so any little things you need help with feel free and i can have a chat. Good luck with your reserch :)

actually jas i was thinking bout the whiteline sway bars to combat body roll and being rwd i agree the comfort level is not comparable to Gt-Rs swaying side to side on my seat hah. But yeah good suggestion and true that it's substantially cheaper than coilovers and in terms of having a fundamentally balanced suspension it'd make sense to first change out the ancient worn out bushings anyways as well as looking into getting sway bars prior to coilovers. Thanks =]

heaps cool thanks for the offer luke great to get some opinions from experienced mechanics!

• 4 weeks later...

coil overs and comfort should never appear in the same sentence.. except this one..

It would depend on how you define comfort. I have tein coilovers and find it quite "comfortable" to drive, except when the road is quite unstable it's a little hard as you would expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Id say it depends on your budget ... quite sure teins would be a fair bit more expensive than the BC's?

Ive got BC's in mine, their great, not too hard on a softer setting and feel pretty good.

Id say it depends on your budget ... quite sure teins would be a fair bit more expensive than the BC's?

That it does.

In saying that if your budget allows for a Skyline and not an Excel then you can afford good quality parts IMO

^ True

BTW just saw a post in a related thread .. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/uploads/R33GTST_Whiteline_Package.jpg

The whiteline springs and bilstein shocks make for awesome value. I've heard good things about them too. Quite sure they'd be cheaper than coilies and are made for our road conditions.

Something else OP May want to consider :)