SAU Community

R32 (GT-R) Wheels Width Recommendations

Hi All,

I did a search and (suprisingly) came up with nothing: I would have thought this was an issue already discussed.

Anyway, I am looking at getting a new set of wheels for my R32 GT-R due to two reasons: 1) the stock wheels are an odd size 2) I want to get something light weight.

Anyway, 17" wheels seem the most logical -- as someone in another thread said "17s for go, 18s for show" -- because it keeps down tyre costs and there is minimal difference in contact patch with larger rims.

However, I am unsure what width to go for. Someone recommended I get 17x8s, but what do others recommend? Is there a major advantage getting wider wheels? Also, what sort of cost is associated with having to get tyres for wider wheels?

Cheers guys..

Lucien.

17x9 / 9.5

8 to too narrow for GTR, won't fit 255-275 tyre well

increase tyre wide selection

the wider the rims, the less movement of the tyre when u drive them hard - more stable feeling

Ok, definately getting the vibe that x9s are the minimum :(

But does anyone know if I can go wider legally, and also what the max width is for a R32 GT-R without rolling the guards/etc?

Thanks,

Lucien.

Ok, definately getting the vibe that x9s are the minimum :)

But does anyone know if I can go wider legally, and also what the max width is for a R32 GT-R without rolling the guards/etc?

Thanks,

Lucien.

Lucien;

I run 17x9, 255 45 17 tyres and I doubt you'd get more than a 9.5/10 under the guards comfortably. I don't think rolling the guards will make a difference unless your car is low. Some advice I got was to try and pick a size that was popular ie SS Commodore in order to keep cost down through economies of scale. There might be compromises in doing this however.

Mark

its not the width that matters in overall grip, its the tyres that makes the difference. u could have 9' width with shit tyres and will grip like shit. rather have good tyres instead. im using 205 (stock) with es100 and they r good ifm not better then what i use to have, 235-265 with faulken azenies st115. i think for a gtr 8' is wide enough as long as you grab urself some decent tyres.

Max width for R32GTR without rolling guards: Mine are 18x10's (Pretty sure, dont have proper dimensions but they are running 18 255 35 rubber), scrub at front on inner guards at 90% lock but my car is too low at the moment. I will correct this post once I find out rims true width.

its not the width that matters in overall grip, its the tyres that makes the difference. u could have 9' width with shit tyres and will grip like shit. rather have good tyres instead. im using 205 (stock) with es100 and they r good ifm not better then what i use to have, 235-265 with faulken azenies st115. i think for a gtr 8' is wide enough as long as you grab urself some decent tyres.

Increasing the contact patch is good though if you use equivalent quality tires...

ecenshu: thanks for that.

LW.