SAU Community

Cals Budget 32 Build

Running a power cable under the car on any vehicle is just wrong.

Why would you want the cable exposed to so many ellements that are behond your control?

Dirt and road crud building up. Water and mud, rocks sticks any type of rubbish.

I've seen battery cables properly secured under vehicles which has gone brittle from the elements and the lining has shrunk and cracked. Leaving exposed cable held tightly to the floor pan.....

Run your cables inside the car next to the sil panel held securly and smartly insulated from hazards. It will live a much longer and safer life there.

So last night went and picked up the alloy radiator and china spec forward facing manifold. Looks the goods, cleaned it up a bit. Radiator is in excellent condition, just need to install some fans on it later on. The manifold has most sensors on it and throttle body which will fit directly onto the cooler piping being that they are both from the same car :) Tax return is coming very soon so brakes will be getting done within a few months. Also found a supplier for my sheet metal i need so hoping to start making a final center control unit done including gauges, iso switch, start button and fuse pannel. Along with acc switches for fans, heated windscreen and fuel pump. Heres a pic of the radiator and manifold.

IMG_0920.jpg

Hey guys another quick update. Was a quiet day in the workshop so decided to try get the power windows working. With no harnes in the doors managed to wire up the windows so they went up. Good news regs still work. Now just have to buy the right switches to reverse polarity when wanting to go back down :) Also ordered front and rear rotors, slotted, and a set of EBC red stuff for the fronts which will be going on the car hopefully on monday :)

Thought id just have a quick update with a pick of the front now assembled and also the window in the up position. apparently my mate was saying these calipers for the front look like 300zx calipers. Im not sure but they do look different to a standard 32 caliper and not a 33 either. Enjoy the picks. Rear Rotors showed up today will probably fit them saturday.

Front brakes done :)

IMG_0924.jpg

Windows up, happy motors work :)

IMG_0921.jpg

Interesting hmmm. They bolted straight on R32 rotor fits and everything. Good to know. Also have put a deposit on a standard RB20DET. Picking it up for $300 bargain. Has everything minus alternator, turbo and main engine loom. But has back 3 injector harness and coil packs. Also will need the ignitor. So at least with a starting point i can start pulling down and re-assembling engine while saving for other bits and pieces. Slowly getting there.

Well a bit bigger update. So today got alot done. Got the rear brakes assembled, only to find the rear soft brake lines were cut. So had some braided ones made up considering eventually all lines will be braided at a later date. Also got some switches added to my center control unit mock up. Switches from right to left are Fuel pump, thermo's and Heated front screen (when it gets put in). The only other thing missing is the start button. For now the Fuel pump is wired from the isolation switch through the fuse panel to the switch then to back of car to a relay. Fuel pump is in working order but will be replaced by a bosch upgraded unit. Wire is already run to engine bay to another relay for the thermo's which i have not yet purchased. Engine will be picked up hopefully saturday and then the fun will begin. All coming together and im pretty pleased. With a big tax return to come i should have the rest of the car almost complete ready for engine :)

Just quick question for those of you who have cams cars and have done track days. The fuel pump i was going to wire off the ECU fuel pump wire so it would be like s stock since i have no rear harness, once the rest of the engine harness was in. It would still pass through the toggle switch as well. Now to be legal for scrutineer does it need to be like that or is 2 switches (ie iso and toggle) enough? Cheers. I only ask cause ive seen both set ups but im planing on running this car at the creek around the circuit not drag, wakefield and texi days. Cheers. Heres some pics.

Rear assembled

IMG_0930.jpg

Braided line

IMG_0929.jpg

Mock up panel complete besides gauges, start button and minus 1 more led pilot light.

IMG_0932.jpg

So picked up the engine today, $300 later and 140XXX odd km on her. Normal oil seepage here and ther. No turbo, no alternator bracket, no water leaks. Only bum thing besides no turbo, alternator and harness is the metal water line for turbo feed behind engine have been broken. But the rest is good, will start pulling down next week and start replacing gaskets ect.

On another note, found the pin out for the standard fuel pump feed. So am using that, from the ecu output, to the toggle switch, to the relay in the boot to the pump :) So that will make it as factory.

IMG_0940.jpg

This builds getting more exciting now.

Just scored a rb20 silver top last night for 300 also. But with turbo and a few other bits that may come in handy.

Damn, Good find bud.Yah im looking at a 25/30 for the turbo so that dont bother me to much and i have 2 wreckers within 20min of my shop that i can get the odd bits from :) But if you have a for sale thread ill check it out :)

Started to pull down the motor today ready for the head to be serviced and modded a little. Just gonna get it pressure tested and checked. While there also getting the valve seats worked on to improve flow and also the valves themselves. Searching for some TOMEI cams which will go in at the same time. Full VRS kit with steal head gasket ordered and have also found an alternator including bracket, engine mount arms and power steering bracket, which were missing off this motor. With the head work, ECU, 25/30 turbo, cams, injectors and fuel pump she should easily make around the 220-250kw mark. Should be a very tidy reliable package in a shell that will be nicely lighter then usual :) Here's some boring but necessary before picks of the pull down stages. More to come tomorrow.

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

So just another quick update, just stripped more of the engine down, got the head off. Looks nice and clean, no major concerns so seems like a great engine for the money. Some more quick pics of the engine 90% stripped. Going to deagrease and spray block black. Thinking something different like purple but a real dark purple for the rocker covers. Also should be getting head picked up within the next couple of days. Anyway enjoy pics.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

So it was like all my birthdays came at once today. My engine loom and all my goodies turned up. Included in my 2 large deliveries were

- Complete engine harness

- Alternator including bracket for adjuster

- Starter

- Both engine mount arms

- HKS Mushroom style filter

- Power steering bracket and bolts

So once head is back i pretty much have a complete engine ready to go back in. Getting excited and my wallet has a big hole burned in it lol. Also cleaned and sprayed the block with a coat of black engine enamel. 2nd coat tomorrow then ready for assembly :)

IMG_0957.jpg

Ahhh that pod filter :/

Coming along though mate, keep it up! You should get that alternator powder coated while you can, maybe even rebuild it? Easy while it's off.

Yah good idea, i have an auto elec whos round the corner will do it cheap cheap for me. Not sure what colour as the rocker covers im doing in a really dark purple almost GTR purple. Might break it down myself and send it to my spray painter at the same time as the covers :)