SAU Community

Anyone got an aftermarket turbo on an rb20?

Hi guys,

I will be in the market for a better turbo soon. I am considering all the kinds that I could get, such as - hks 2530,2535,2540 or trust td06 20g, garrett gt28, or a high flow....

I would like to have something that makes boost by 3,000-3,500rpms and pulls hard all the way to redline. I want to have 230-250 rw kw's on a high boost setting and 190 odd at a low setting which will be used 80% of the time.

Anyone that has an aftermarket turbo on their rb20 please tell me: responsivness, power output, psi, and ofcourse what kind of turbo it is.

Thanks

Mark

:rant:

i have a tdo6 20g sitting here ready to go on.. boost wont come on for a while i think.. maybe 4000.. 2530 wont make 250rwkw easily.. and 2540 mite have trouble making it on some motors etc.. mite meed cams to get it up there. jms built a r32 with microtech, rb25, fmic, exhaust and tdo6 19c (internal wastegate) that made 230rwkw (not sure on boost)at a dyno day but 306rwkw on 1.5bar wit a special fuel i think it was also runs 11.3's. i just got a tdo6 20g internal gate so im hoping for a little better. when the bugger goes on ill let you know.

Same boat as makaveli, with the HKS turbos for an RB20 u need to modify the manifold? yeah/no? what about the TD06-20G? RBS13 - when do u think the TD06 will come onto boost and what psi would it take to make 250rwkw? thanks fellas

Michael

i have a roller t28 on mine. I am surprised at how quickly this turbo spools, it will start creating boost around the 2000rpm making some decent power around the 3000rpm mark and it will pull and hold the boost all the way until its 8000rpm redline.

You dont get that lag lag lag lag BANG sort of power you get from some of your larger turbos, everyone thats driven it comments on the very smooth power delivery. I like to have useable power out of my cars, i'd recommend this turbo without a doubt, if i went bigger, i'd only go one size up... the rb20 motor is laggy enuff as it is! hehe.

Hi guys,

I will be in the market for a better turbo soon.  I am considering all the kinds that I could get, such as - hks 2530,2535,2540 or trust td06 20g, garrett gt28, or a high flow....

I would like to have something that makes boost by 3,000-3,500rpms and pulls hard all the way to redline. I want to have 230-250 rw kw's on a high boost setting and 190 odd at a low setting which will be used 80% of the time.

Anyone that has an aftermarket turbo on their rb20 please tell me: responsivness, power output, psi, and ofcourse what kind of turbo it is.

Thanks

Mark

:(

I have what I believe is a HKS GT2510 (some reckon it is a 2530) Mine makes 200rwkw at 0.9bar boost, with intercooler exhaust etc. Makes boost by 2500rpm, 0.5bar at around 3000rpm and pulls hard all the way to rev limit if 8200rpm

I will find out in a month or so what it is capable of, installing bigger injectors, GTR cams etc, hoping for around 230rwkw. Anyhthing more will be great :)

One thing to look for is a turbo that will give you really good average power, rather than a big hit in the last 2000rpm, it might sacrifice a few rwkw up top, but your car will be quicker and more drivable

Chris

im currently saving for a 2510 they sound perfect for the street, cos you dont have to rev your car to 8 grand to get some fun outa them and they make very respectable power.

go the 2510.

so chris32 you made 200rwkw with standard fuel system?

was it running ok or leaning out up top or what?

im very interested to know everything about your setup and dyno results

cheers man

Greg.

devious17 - tag was unable to be read. I got the turbo about 18months ago from JMS, and they said it was 2530, then I took it to see Mark at Tilbrooks, and everyone there said it was 2510. One thing they both agreed on was that it was a HKS GT25~ something

aKTIVE - yeah, for a street RB20, they are a perfect choice, can't complain at all about mine, it is really good. I have run 1.2bar, with a heap of octane boost, and the response was amazing, 2nd gear with 255 rubber and it would just light up. Cant wait to get 1.2-1.3 bar with the new setup and see what it makes

R32gts-t - Made 200rwkw with Bosch 040 pump, with stock injectors. My setup is pretty simple, HKS turbo, 600x300x60 FMIC with 2.5inch pipework all the way, 3" exhaust with only the rear N1 style muffler, re-mapped stock computer. Pretty simple really

Next step is -

GTR cams, Microtech LT-12S computer, 440cc injectors, Split dump with 3.5" front pipe. 1.2ish bar boost. Might go cam gears as well

Can't wait :(

I have attached a early dyno chart, the other two cars arre RB25, hence the greater mid-range power

Yeah, I would reccomend the turbo for a RB20, seem to be about right for all round performance etc.

Will keep everyone posted on the outcome of the next round of mods

Chris

I will post my before and after dyno chart as well, stock turbo vs HKS turbo

Will scan it tonight

One thing to note, it has been running 200rwkw for almost 16 months and done 30,000km, and is still going strong - good old RB20's :P

Chris

ronin: what boost was tha @? any other mods? do yu recconyou could get that kinda power from a VG30 turbo? i heard they r a bit better

Other mods are

Apexi pod

3 " HKS super Dragger zorst from turbo back

Some sort of aftermarket dump

Hybrid FMIC

Blitz SBC iD II

Chip remap

Catch Can

It made 190rwkw at 14psi

I heard that vg30 are a bit on the laggy side but prolly would make more power.

cgb_r32 - i think ill be having a cup of tea waiting for boost.. haha maybe about 4000 maybe 4500.. doesnt bother me at all tho.. it will make me drive slower on the street.. having the "power" there from the stock turbo atm is too tempting and with something laggy ill be less bothered to actually wait till boost comes on to make that pass/overtake etc and when boost comes on im expecting it to be kicking out anyway.. :D maybe make 250rwkw on 1.4bar not too sure no one knows.. ill find out.. ill keep pushing till i made it.. ill do cams, cam gears, computer, exhaust, fmic, injectors, fuel reg, and maybe a bit of porting of the exhaust/inlet manifolds just to see if it makes any difference.. ill have my newer motor on a engine stand with in the next couple of weeks so what ever i choose to do porting wise ill try post pics up to show.. mite even attack the head yet?? get rid of the factory inperfections...

Damn this thread! LOL

I thought I had it nutted that I wanted a 2530 but I am very impressed with the 2510 making 190 with 0.9BAR.

I have a RB20 with internal gate TO4E and its obviously a little non street friendly.

I want to have 200-220rwkw with a max of 1.0-1.2BAR but with decent average power. My TO4E would get close to 200rwkw @ 1.0-1.2BAR but it would be asleep untill over 5,000rpm.