SAU Community

Engine Making Weird Noise

sleptema

Jumped in my car this morning and it was making a weird high pitch buzzing/squeaking noise. It SOUNDS like a belt rubbing against something but I could not see anything. My dad says it may be a problem with a bearing, but I do not know what that means, as I am by no means a mechanic.

Took a short video from inside the car which is where I first heard it, then down to the left of the air intake near the fan where it seemed to be the loudest. My car is a r34 gtt, so a rb25det neo. The car is basically stock, bov, catback exhaust, hks mushroom air filter, bleeder valve + tune. Engine doesn't seem to be unresponsive or having any problems but I was too afraid to give it too much piss just incase something did happen. It is due for a service within a month, (every 5000kms, last service was a 100,000km) only done 102k kms. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by voncina

hi mate,

its tough to try and listen to that noise..

But u could try and remove a belt and see if its a pulley/bearing. Or take it in earlier for the service if your not mech minded.

take all the ancillary belts off one by one (remember that the one that goes on your fan also runs the water pump so dont run it for a long time with that off) and see if the noise goes away

It may be the idler pulley bearing for the A/C

Otherwise it may be underneath the timing cover, as said above, something may not have been done right in the 100,000km service or it may not have been done at all

Also have a feel of your crank angle sensor (on the front of the timing cover) just in case the bearing in there has gone. Mine used to make noises before I put my new CAS on, but they were different noises to that. Cant rule it out but

Edited by 89CAL

New belts will generally stretch after a a while. It even says to readjust them after installing.

Just watched the video. Did you have your A/C on while you were taking the vid? Cause my compressor sounds like that when engaged, just not as loud.

• 1 month later...

Did you find out what the noise is?

Mine started the same noise from what looks the same place.

Will be taking belts off one by one this weekend.

Mine dont start making the sound until about 5-10 seconds after start up, then slowwwwly gets quieter and quieter. Similar?

Noise hasn't gone away, but is loudest and only really noticeable early morning when it is cold. I am pretty sure it is one of my belts because when the turbo timer is running and I hop out of the car there is another sound that actually sounds like a belt. When I get my next service I will just get the belts looked at, if something happens earlier I will blame my mechanic - I take it to a mechanic because I am not a mechanic. I pay him enough, my car should run perfect all the time. If it doesn't, I am going to rain shit on him.

Hey mate, no luck. I couldn't be f'd taking off all the belts, the power steering belt felt a bit loose so I gave it a tweak but nothing. I am pretty sure its coming from the timing train somewhere. Belt rub, pully or bearing. I have just had my timing belt done but like... 500km ago and its been quiet up till I take off the exhaust manifold . Makes me think its something I have done, but ummmm... Didn't work near that area. :huh:

Ive booked my car Wednesday to get it checked out. Just had a new engine dumped in so these sorta things have me on my toes. Ill let you know what he comes up with.

I am sure you have the same prob as mine, when car is cold its LOUD. Sound starts about 5 secs after running, slowly goes away after a few mins, will come back with minor revs till that slowley goes away and then only does it at high rpm.

See if there is somewhere (safe) on each of the items with a pulley (a/c, power steering etc.) and place the end of a very long screwdriver directly onto the casing of the metal as close as you can to the pulley and the other end to your ear while the engine is running, This will tell you straight away exactly which device/pulley is causing the noise, trust me you will know it when you hear it using this method. Then again on my commodore the thermo fan was electric so wasn't on all of the time like a belt driven fan so this was quite a bit safer lol

Hey Steve,

Mate I hate to say it... But check out your oil pump.

Mechanics taken all my belts off, still there. Taken off timing belt and swapped pullys etc. Still there.

Hes put a screwdriver where the oil pump would be? and is certain its the oil pump. He was blown away but swears it must be gears rubbing on the backplate or something. Oil pressure seems fine. Im fkn fuming because ive only had this engine in for aprox 600km and its causing me so much problems. I hope the oil pump is not your prob, but sounds VERY similar so check it out. Good luck to you Sir.

Hey Steve,

Mate I hate to say it... But check out your oil pump.

Mechanics taken all my belts off, still there. Taken off timing belt and swapped pullys etc. Still there.

Hes put a screwdriver where the oil pump would be? and is certain its the oil pump. He was blown away but swears it must be gears rubbing on the backplate or something. Oil pressure seems fine. Im fkn fuming because ive only had this engine in for aprox 600km and its causing me so much problems. I hope the oil pump is not your prob, but sounds VERY similar so check it out. Good luck to you Sir.

Cheers man, I will get my mechanic to look at it when I take it in for a service in about 1000kms or so. I got my stepdad to look at it, for a better opinion, he said it isn't anything that I should be worried about. Good enough for me :)

• 2 months later...