SAU Community

Jamboree over....Results R in :(

Like all the big guys, I too was still working on my car till all hours of Friday night. As mentioned in another thread I ended the week with 217rwkw and this helped greatly with the top end speed.

Straight up my overall best time was 13.7, the same as my previous best time 6 weeks earlier. This was of course dissapointing as I had hoped for a 12sec pass and I still believe that the car is capable but for some "Out of my control" problems and rules.

I am not making excuses, I am just telling your guys exactly why a 12 didn't happen.

The main reason was the fact that it was a dial in race and as such doesn't allow you to race as hard as possible because if you better your dial in you are out. I dialed in a 13.0 and on my first pass of the night I ran the 13.7 BUT backed off well before the line to ensure I didn't run too fast, not sure if I would have gone into the 12's but it would have been close, This win was a bit of a shame as it was against my friends RBS13 so one of us was going to loose.

The reason I had to dial in at 13 rather than say 12.7 was the fact that it was so hot in the morning qualifying that I was unable to run any faster than a mid 14 (Track temp 34 Humidity 90%) My first 3 runs I used to sort out the launching, and let me tell you the suspenion made a huge difference.

Qualifying

Run 1.

Hard launch at 4000rpm no burnout = mass wheel spin in first and second.

Run 2.

Hard launch at 4000rpm small burnout = bog down.

Run 3.

Hard launch at 4500rpm small burnout = good grip

Racing

Run 1.

Hard launch at 5000rpm small burnout = no spin + better 60ft time.

Run 2.

Hard launch at 6000rpm medium burnout = no spin + good 60ft time.

When I next attend a test and tune I will be launching at 6500rpm this should be spot on, I just need to remember to change into second.

Conclusion

Last time:

Track Temp 22 degrees

Humidity 43%

Full trim incl sterio etc

Slipping clutch

Bald tyres

Hard suspension

206rwkw

This time:

Track Temp 34 degrees

Humidity 90%

Stripped interior

New clutch

New tyres

New suspenwion

217rwkw

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam what mph that tell alot of the story as to whaether you are able to get into the 12's.

don

't strees you will get there but I really am of the believe withteh r32's at least you need semi slicks to crack the 12's or 250 rwkw

cheers

and congratualtions

meggala

dial your own racing sux big time.

when youare going for your best time

alright, im not that into drag racing(as in i dont know that much) but... dial in racing sux, you should be able to say this is around the time that i shoudl run, but if you go below it they shoudl be happy not, your out...

anyway bad luck cam, i hope you do better next time, im sure your car has it to go under a 13

The whole point of Bracket Racing is that a guy running 13.7 can beat a guy running 10.7 if he is more consistent & has a better reaction time.The practice(or qualifying)session gives plenty of opportunity to run your best time & allow you to post the best dial in time for your combination/tuning on the day.

When racing starts you know what your car runs flatout, & you stand on it & run that time again. You only back off if you are way ahead of the other guy so you dont break out.If you exceed your dial in time you are out - it's the only way it can work fairly.

Sandbagging is when you dial in a very slow time that your car can easily beat, then back off enough to just stay ahead of the other car.Most guys dont do this & prefer to go hard - but it does happen.

In competition Drag Racing there are classes which have Heads up/Pro start racing, where the amber lights all come on together &

then both lanes get the green together.Whoever crosses the line

first wins.This is great fun. But you can't pull up next to a 10 sec car & beat him if you are 2 seconds behind can you.So he with the

most money wins - end of story.

Same cars, but a dial in bracket race.The advantage of having a much faster car is gone - and the slower guy can beat the fast guy

with good reaction times/skillful driving.Therefore; the little guy with a limited budget can race the big guys & have fun trying to kick their asses. Does bracket racing suck???

No way.It's great. You just have to understand it.

:burnout:

I agree with you munro and suppose I miss worded what I said It sux cause boosty was unable to achive his time etc.

but as for bracket racing being competitive I have to agree . and it real puts your skills to the test .you dont have

he/she with the fastest car wins.

one catagory I used to love to watch was the supa gas here in victoria it was a race and the closest to nine seconds won now thats good racing .and come of the cars were interestng as well.

cheers

meggala

well even tho its been explained i still dont like it, i agree that you should have classes eg, the ruff estimate of times, so you can race a close car, but still think that you should be going for the best possible time you can get.

also, you guys are taking it the wrong way.. it should be about racing against the clock, not anyone else, as in, making your time better and better, not caring what anyone else does.

I dont really see the point Cam is making re dial in times.

I ran 15.069, 15.2??,and 15.3?? in my 3 tr1als. for the comp the track temp was down 8 degrees but air temp was only down 2 degrees humidity was up from 78 to 92 and there was a cool breeze. I dialled in 14.95 which allowed me to run as hard as I could. I figured that if I broke out I'd be happy with the time anyway. ...... I thought the far end of the track was very slippery

I nearly lost it changing up to 4th and again transitioning to brakeing. several guys went into the paddock.

Regardless of Cam's times, his burnouts rocked. I have them on tape and will rip them soon-ish.

As a side note the guy who bought my "Project Tight-Ass" R32 Non-Turbo/Turbo ran at Benaraby about two weeks ago and I was like a proud dad :D He ran a 14.2 with the open diff and all.

Cam, you coming to the Benaraby Import Drags in October, I'll let you know dates etc, when I get them.

Best Speed was 182.4km/h up from 170ish

60ft was 1.9 down from 2.4ish

I only found these times on my mates slip that I ran against as all my slips along with some other personal items were removed by some nice person right from my bag right next to my car while I was there......Hey Nismo boy did you see anyone lurking about near our cars?

The main problem on the second run was the amount of traction I had in 1st....it caught me by supprise, normally I launch and then have to drive out 1st a bit before hitting 2nd but this time I launched and then had to hit 2nd straight away because I was launching from a much higher RPM in any video of my second run you will see the front of the car drop while I go "Oooops 2nd already dam now where is that gear stick:) " Then I fed it a bit too much power and the rears tramped for 30m

Jay, my prob with the dial in is that I want to win the comp so I have to ensure I am first to the line AND don't run too fast, also I (as everyone else) didn't know how the night was going to be, as it turned out the humidity was up but the air temp was better and generally cooler, also my car hadn't just driven from Toowoomba. Thats why I found it hard to nominate a dial in with my cars new specs, don't mean to be harsh but being an auto it is a little different to drive to my car and your times are more consistant there for it is easier to work out a dial in.

Next time I will get to a test and tune the wekk prior and work out my dial in then turn up at Jambo after lunch rather than getting up at 4:30:)

Squizz when in October? I am going to Airlie Beach on the 18th for a holiday so I may be available :D Where is Benaraby?

Originally posted by BOOSTMEISTER

......Hey Nismo boy did you see anyone lurking about near our cars?

I wasn't with our car much untill the R13 got there, but when I was there, there were some people just having a look. I know when the r13 got there, at one stage there where heaps of people at out little area. My money is on some teenagers that thinks it cool to take other peoples stuff.

sorry I couldn't help any more.

The R13 looked good....very tidy and nice rims. My only concern is the lack of cooling for your radiator...The main problem with all these conversions is the water temp. we have to big davies craig fans on the back of the silvia's radiator plus we don't have the a/c radiator tingy the water temp got upto 91 degrees the other day in traffic so be carefull about this.

great mph cam that show 12's are possible. th old vg30 turbo is turning out very well.

and the 60' time tells the whole story you are really getting there.

shidft will come with practice and consider doing testing with a 2nd gear launch yes I know its sounds silly but one less gear change could help quite a bit.

thats excellent now Ihave something to aim for

meggala