SAU Community

High Mount T04 Turbo To Much Lag! :( Wanna Change

Hey I have a r32 gts4 it has a high mount set up ATM with just a t04 (eBay special) with external waste gate and it is just hopeless was on there when I got it it's way to lagg I want to change it to something more smooth in power but not sure what to go a lot of people are telling me r33 r34 turbo but how would I go about it with my high mount set up will I have to go back to stock manifold what would I have to change?

You'd need to change everything - manifold, dump, lines, turbo, intake piping etc.

You'd be better off with a R34 turbo, make 200rwkw, would be a good thing.

Sell off the manifold/turbo/dump and you'd probably almost workout even, if not infront

Oh k interesting mine was about half the price of that it was on there when I got it but stuffed up not long after and didn't have the money at the time for a good one so just got the same one again I'm not really going for huge power I would just love it to be smooth and have a fare bit of poke ;) atm it is great on boost strong as but down low ain't got nothing!!

Sam, please confirm the following details and we will be able to help you pick a suitable replacement (keep the highmount setup IMO, why not).

- What flange is your current turbo? T3 open, T4 open, T4 twin scroll?

- Is it external gate? If so is the gate working properly? IE holding boost properly ETC.

- What motor is this bolted to and do you have the rest of the supporting mods? IE tuned/tunable ecu, bigger injectors, fmic/tbe etc.

Give us this info and we will be able to help you pick a better turbo (rather than referring you back to a stock item only to need to upgrade again later when your bored). No offense to any posters with this comment either.

Thanks,

Ok mate well I'm sure its a t03 5 bolt flange it is external gated and the gate works fine I

Have big blitz front mount not to sure on actual size k and n pob standard ecu I believe but I have a emanage ecu that come with the car but haven't used it yet full 3" exhaust hope this helps

Thanks for your help :)

My best recomendation is to work out exactly what is done to that car, if it is tuned and how it is running ETC.

If its definitely a T3 flange turbo we will be able to recommend a great alternative which will make the car get up and boogie, BUT we really wouldnt want to give that advice unless the car is properly set up for that sort of thing.

If its literally running the stock ECU at the moment then your not in for a good time whether you change the setup or not. You will either need to go and do all the required upgrades to proceed or return it to a stock turbo like Ash said.

Please properly look into what the car is running and get back to us.

Alright I believe the motor is mostly stock besides spitfire coils ache 550cc injectors and a bigger fule pump I'm not to sure on the exact type of fule pump and injectors but will try and find out I gotta try find out some more info on the ecu I'll get some numbers and what not for you as I dont know to much about them.. What are your thoughts on the G readdy E manage I got with the car they any good ??

Thanks

you bought a car that has been modified but dont know what parts have been used...?

why?

You really need to know exactly what you have before you do anything...

Greddy emanage blue ? there a piggy back ecu, u can control timing and fuel with them, not as good as a stand alone tho. As for ur turbo id swap it out with a kando like mentioned above. I wouldnt go any bigger than a TD05. I recently sold a kando TD05 to another sau member who since put it on an RB25, hes told me it starts spooling at 3k. so on a RB20 it could be a tiny bit later.

Oh k yeah I was thinking about gettin a wolf computer for it the guy I got it off said that you gotta plug the computer in once the cars hot coz it is hard to start when cold but I've never bothed with it

It doesn't sound like the current setup is any good mate.

Do lots and lots of reading if you can, the answers are all here. It sounds like you might need to start from scratch in some aspects, or at least get a real ECU for it. A nistune is probably your cheapest option in terms of being effective.

I recommend you see a decent tuner and ask them what they see in the car, they will know whats going on and will be able to make some suggestions regarding where to go from here. Just ask for their advice first and see what they can offer.

If your in NSW I recommend you go see DVS JEZ, he will work out whats in the car and send you on the right path. Can do your tuning and supply/fit/tune a Nistune for a great price.