SAU Community

How do I know if it has a LSD?

Hi guys,

As you know, im awaiting my car to come from Japan. I was wondering if there is anyway to tell if it comes with a factory LSD? The car is a R33 GTST built in April 95.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Well, Ill just jump in and say this before some dickhead says it..

"Just do a line locker bro .. just do a burnout .. der"

I know this isnt the answer your looking for, so the only other way that i know of is..

Get your car up on a hoist, and then attempt to spin one rear wheel by hand, if the other wheel spins at the exact same rate, you havea LSD and its fine..

if the other wheel spins and is kinda joly/grippy this means your LSD is on its way out .. proberly a busted side arm or teeth being chipped off

That test doesn't prove the LSD is any good or not, just that you have one.

I know I had a viscous LSD ('94 180SX), and it passed the test you mentioned, but it would still one-wheel drifts and donuts like an open wheeler would.

(Note: Exercise only practiced on race tracks)

Naturally.:rofl:

Yeah, the viscous LSD always seemed to have a mind of it's own as to how many wheels it would spin eh, but we shouldn't be using these fine Nissans just for smokeshows now, should we? :D

But you're right, the question was to check for an LSD, and jacking it up and spinning the wheels is the best way.

Perhaps there's a cue to the internals by looking at the back of the diff housing?

But you're right, the question was to check for an LSD, and jacking it up and spinning the wheels is the best way.

yes that's the best way.

attempt to spin one rear wheel by hand, if the other wheel spins at the exact same rate, you havea LSD and its fine..

That doesnt make sense.

If you spin one wheel the other wheel will spin in the same direction if it's LSD.

If it wasnt originally lsd one wheel will spin in the opposite direction to the other.(single spinner)

However you'll find that most skylines come with lsd.

If your spinning one wheel and the other is spinning in the same direction but not at the same speed it might not be working properly.

if you wanna find out if your car has LSD then you could give your VIN to an authorise Nissan Japan service center (or any Nissan Dealer in australia) or infact anyone with the NSSAN Japan FAST system, they could plug it in and let you know if your car got one from the factory.

When I first got my car, I got it serviced and the dude goes "wow you have an LSD on yours". And I was like "huh? don't they all have em?" (coz I had a viscous LSD (2) on my ex-drift 180sx). He informed me that not all R32s came with an LSD, so I checked up on mine at my local nissan dealer n found out that mine had a factory LSD (dunno if its 1 or 1.5), and not only that it was a limited edition V Selection 2 which was given the trimmings of a GTR and LSD n HICAS n strutbars n all the goodies lol

Uhh.. i Thats exactly what i just said ... wasnt it?

Edit:..

Quote:

attempt to spin one rear wheel by hand, if the other wheel spins at the exact same rate, you havea LSD and its fine..  

That doesnt make sense.

If you spin one wheel the other wheel will spin in the same direction if it's LSD.

If it wasnt originally lsd one wheel will spin in the opposite direction to the other.(single spinner)

However you'll find that most skylines come with lsd.

If your spinning one wheel and the other is spinning in the same direction but not at the same speed it might not be working properly.

Thats pretty much the exact same thing i just said .. how does it 'not make sense'

lol now youve got me confused :D

Uhh.. i Thats exactly what i just said ... wasnt it?

Edit:..

Thats pretty much the exact same thing i just said .. how does it 'not make sense'

lol now youve got me confused :D

Read what u wrote again.

The ECR33 (R33 GTS25t) has a factory LSD (8/93 onward).

From I think 95 onwards there was a factory option for an Active LSD which is obviously better than the standard LSD in that there is some sensors and a computer to control the way the LSD works.

The easiest way to tell whether you have active LSD is to look on the dash and if there is a SLIP or A-LSD indicator in the middle you have A-LSD.

Very few cars have the Active LSD so don't get your hopes up.

HAHA, thats some funny posting. Thanks for the help guys, just anxious for the car to arrive. I was going to try the VIN trick, but since they all come with a LSD, no need to, ill just wait till it comes, and see if it has an active one..

• 2 weeks later...

Ok then.....

like I said before an lsd has both wheels spinning in the same direction at the same rate.

Single spinners also spin at the same rate but in opposite directions.

Hope that clears things up. :(

umm sorry for the stupid question but no body is born a genuis

what exactly does LSD stand for? and what exactly is it?

i alwayz hear people talk about it etc. but i never really know what it is..

thanksthanks