SAU Community

Heat Resistant Paint

I want to paint my rb26 engine cover a candy apple red. Only thing I want a colour to last and not fade under extreme temperatures in the engine bay. Is there a heat resistant 2 pack or powder coating?

VHT makes hi-temp engine enamel rated to 550 degrees F (288 degrees C)

Direction 1/7 says, "Clean surface thoroughly. Remove grease, oil, loose paint, rust etc. Sand previously painted surfaces lightly, then clean with a high grade solvent and allow to dry before spraying"

No mention is made of undercoating.

This product is used on engines - and I used it on an Alfa Romeo with pleasing results.

Honestly, Mine is done with $12 cans of touch up spray paint from super cheap. Its been 6 months and it still looks like this:

2012-01-14151530.jpg

No its not as good as ceramic coating or any of that, but its stood up to the heat fine. Its not even prepped that well cause it has scratched off in one or two spots, but the heat is not a concern. I have 2 spare sets of cam covers to do it properly later on, but I'm pretty happy with how well these have lasted so far

To get a shiny look, just get gloss.

...not semi or satin or matt

I'm not sure about a Hi-Temp Clear; but gloss is quite shiny.

Any Automotive Paint shop can advise.

I'm not sure what sort of position you're in with your cover being on or off, but if you sandblast, chromate etch and then paint....it's going nowhere fast. 3M have a nice acrylic clear that polishes up pretty well, other than that, all of my cooler pipes under the bonnet were a nice decent coat of polyurethane that looked wet it was so glossy.

vht make an engine clear temp rated to 550 degrees, did my covers using leftover calipers paint and this clear. looks shinny and hasn't gotten damaged at all by heat

To get a shiny look, just get gloss.

...not semi or satin or matt

I'm not sure about a Hi-Temp Clear; but gloss is quite shiny.

Any Automotive Paint shop can advise.

Did my r31 rocker in gloss red 11 years ago in brake caliper paint , still perfect

R34 is done in metallic titanium silver ( not high temp) coated in anodized blue colour cast ( not high temp ) and high temp vht clear , looks amazing and way better then powder coat , under 50 bucks just prep well and dry in warm dry air and heat up a bit a few times before mounting to set the paint ( hi temp clear will cloud if you dont)

I did my brakes and rotors same process 4 years ago and they look perfect still )

Tis good you mentioned about drying the object before applying VHT Clear.

That means it shouldn't be applied on a humid day either I presume?

Yes the humidity for most clear coats should be 40-60% tops but its even more critical with that vht clear and the ceramic paints from vht wont set until heat cycled a few times ( sunlight or heater and 23c at least when sprayed , the paint and alloy must be warm or the alloy repels the paint from being cold ) ) they look dry but easy to fark up , that clear and ceramic paints fark up paint that isnt 90% dry at least before applying

The ceramic matte black is amazing stuff it bonds well to clean degreased metal and does cool to the touch a bit , works a treat to stealth stainless mufflers that stand out otherwise

But use care it must be applied with carbon mask at least , its really harsh when spraying

i didnt pre prime any metal except degrease light sanding and wax and grease remover and it wont come off and holds up to tools hitting it , i used the titanium silver instead of the silver base coat on metal cast it really pops a lot better in sunlight with blue candy over it , and the colour alone looks damn nice , rustolium brand only ( crappy sprayers lol ) but close to 2 pac custom look