SAU Community

Just A Reminder For People Re-Registering A Qld Car In Vic

Just went to register my 2004 350gt (70th Year edition). Everything went great, until we noticed the Vin number being riveted on the chassis instead of stamped.

Damn you QLD and your lacks laws, now that puts me a week behind.

Vicroads did suggest a place in Sunshine to have it done, but can anyone suggest a place from experience.

Thank you,

The VIN is stamped, just not the whole oversized number that Australia gives. It's on the firewall behind the motor, still easily visible. Crazy pedantic rules, different in every state probably.

Vic needs imports to be stamped? wut? I've never owned an import with the compliance vin stamped on the chassis. My car has a plate on the strut tower you can't even see with a strut bar installed and my parts car has a plate riveted to the radiator support.

I bought mine from VIC and the full VIN is stamped on the strut tower.. but I think it is excessive the vicroads requires it stamped.. Why is a rivited plate ok for an Aust. deilvered car, but not good enough for an import?? who knows.. some policy maker probably trying to justify their job.!

I lose my $40 booking fee as well so i'm kind of annoyed. They rang there "top" import guy who wasn't working that day and he confirmed that it must be stamped with the full Vin number. I rang the place that did my roadworthy and they'd never heard of the law either, as the first 6 characters are merely added to meet the 17 character Vin number requirement, the firewall still shows the correct 11 characters.

• 2 weeks later...

Was warned about this by Vic Roads when I made the inspection appointment with them.

When I got my Roadworthy done I asked the Repco mechanics if they could stamp the number into the body, when they did the roady and they did it for free... They had the stamps and apparently took them about 2 minutes...

Stupid state based registration rules...

i bet the seat warmers come in handy in Vic - had 70th Anniversary in Qld, never really got to use the feature :)

Nice car by the way, have not seen many V35 in that colour. - looks like R34 GTR Bayside Blue colour.