SAU Community

Beware Of This Car!

Hi,

Just thought I'd post this up. Just saw this car advertised on Gumtree:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-beach/cars/1999-r34-nissan-skyline-coupe/1003492890

Thought I'd seen it somewhere before and did a bit of research. Turns out I have seen it somewhere before....

http://www.exportcar.jp/en/component/auctstat/?view=auctstatdetail&id=2o2tcgIu1aIJ4O

Must have driven it around the world backwards a couple of times.....

Yeah I had a similar experience with a dealer recently too. Hence why I am looking for an r34 gt-t again..... I've also found a way to get Odometer checks from Japan for $40 if you have a copy of teh export certificate....

Haven't bothered trying to contact the seller. What's that going to achiev? The authorities know that this sort of thing is going on all over the country and not just with imports and they're not doing anything about it. It is so hard to get away with in Japan now as well that if anyone believes that it mostly happens before the cars come here they're dreaming

There’s just way too many inconsistencies regarding ODO and i assume every Jap import is non-original KM's unless proven otherwise. Overall condition of the car is a way better indication as opposed to an odometer reading that can be so easily tampered with.

Even on or own doors - In NSW you are free to change ODO's with no notification or documentation supplied to the RTA to make this change in the KM's on the dash. They "advise" however you keep a record of when it was made and at how many km's in order to notify a future potential buyer... Which for someone dodgy trying to make a quick buck out of a more appealing vehicle I have a slight feeling its something that they will fail to mention

Edited by nomnomv8

There’s just way too many inconsistencies regarding ODO and i assume every Jap import is non-original KM's unless proven otherwise. Overall condition of the car is a way better indication as opposed to an odometer reading that can be so easily tampered with.

Even on or own doors - In NSW you are free to change ODO's with no notification or documentation supplied to the RTA to make this change in the KM's on the dash. They "advise" however you keep a record of when it was made and at how many km's in order to notify a future potential buyer... Which for someone dodgy trying to make a quick buck out of a more appealing vehicle I have a slight feeling its something that they will fail to mention

yeah as above, it is good practice to assume that the majority of imports in this country have fake kms on the clock. i'm sure there are some genuine ones, but plenty aren't.

and it's only a scam if the person currently selling the car is the one who changed the odometer. if they bought the car from an importer with the 83,000kms on the clock, thinking they were genuine, then they are just another victim.

yeah as above, it is good practice to assume that the majority of imports in this country have fake kms on the clock. i'm sure there are some genuine ones, but plenty aren't.

and it's only a scam if the person currently selling the car is the one who changed the odometer. if they bought the car from an importer with the 83,000kms on the clock, thinking they were genuine, then they are just another victim.

Not if this legal precedent catches on throughout Australia. Link; http://m.news.com.au/QLD/fi1617141.htm

That's a completely different scenario. They were claiming it was a different car to what it actually was.

But did they know it, or were they "victims"? That's the relevant point I'm making. How is thinking a car is a legitimate article, whether it be what it is or the kilometers on the dash any different? At one point in time it's been altered to be something it isn't.

As you stated, it is a different senario but the basic premise is the same.

Edited by Truffles