SAU Community

Just Brought A R33 S1, Few Problems.. Wtf Are All These Random Connections ?

R6n350GT

Problem 1:No dash cluster back lights.

I checked fuses in boot, right foot box and in engine bay, all fine.

The indicators, warning lights are fine but no speedo, tacho etc..

Here is a picture of the back, which are the ones im looking for??

IMG_3930.jpg

also someone tapped into one of the plugs and two spade connectors come off it, what reason could this be for?

IMG_3933.jpg

Problem 2: I have a aerial up and down switch, which i found when i pulled the dash off ,had no plug leading to it... I could not find it either ??

Instead i found two unused plugs, the brown one does not fit in the aerial switch

IMG_3928.jpg

and this one ?

IMG_3929.jpg

Random wire 3: Again back of engine near NISSAN cover , the end of these two spliced wires are not connected to anything... wtf could they have been used for?

IMG_3941.jpg

Random wire 4: This runs through firewall and back into car but i cant find where it goes..

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

Thanks for help guys :)

Oh also i put in $50 and it said it was full on the gauge... wtf? thats 33ltr and only lasted 200km

Car is Auto BTW

Edited by R6n350GT

hey man only thing i can help u with is the dash lights. those 5 big brown, orange looking plugs on the back of the speedo light up the speedo, tacho fuel etc. twist and pull them out. bulbs possibly blown? replace with t10 led bulbs. also that plug in the 4th picture you posted is for diagnostics (nissan consult software) so thats normal for it to be hanging there.

hey man only thing i can help u with is the dash lights. those 5 big brown, orange looking plugs on the back of the speedo light up the speedo, tacho fuel etc. twist and pull them out. bulbs possibly blown? replace with t10 led bulbs. also that plug in the 4th picture you posted is for diagnostics (nissan consult software) so thats normal for it to be hanging there.

Thanks, ill get LED ones and replace them but what else could it be? I mean they all die???

Also is there anyway to recalibrate the fuel float or anything as i put 33ltr in and it said it was full?

Thanks, ill get LED ones and replace them but what else could it be? I mean they all die???

Could be the dash light dimmer switch is faulty or disconnected

Rh side near mirror adjustment control. It's a rotary switch.

Mine has 2 wires soldered in like the first photo which then go to this switch.

Edited by t_revz

Rh side near mirror adjustment control. It's a rotary switch.

Mine has 2 wires soldered in like the first photo which then go to this switch.

i only have one switch for the mirrors there.

The ends of the wires coming from the speedo cluster were sitting near the aerial switch so done know if they would reach and there is no where to connect them to? Or have i miss understood you?

Hey hey, just in relation to the last couple of pics in the engine bay, I have that same relay box marked "FET" near my fuse box, the large bundle of wires in the white sleeve also marked "FET" that comes out of it has been cut and the end taped up. As far as I can tell it is to prevent interference from the cars electrical system reaching the audio system (or previous system)

Hey hey, just in relation to the last couple of pics in the engine bay, I have that same relay box marked "FET" near my fuse box, the large bundle of wires in the white sleeve also marked "FET" that comes out of it has been cut and the end taped up. As far as I can tell it is to prevent interference from the cars electrical system reaching the audio system (or previous system)

ohhhh Thanks, do you also have the green Fusion boxes in the car somewhere? down on kick panels with tweeter, sub, input wires?

Mine has two spade connectors as seen in the pic but not attached to anything..?

And im thinking Series 1 doesnt have aerial up and down button and Series 2 does so someone put a series two dash in mine thus no cable for the up and down switch...

But im still wonder wtf the wires in the speedo cluster are, why i have no back light.

What that plug plug is for in 3rd pic and what was spliced into that cable in engine bay..

Yea, I have a few loose wires in the boot, I'm assuming from the Amp/sub. My auto aerial is activated by my stereo when I select the radio, no switch. There is a switch to the left of my steering wheel that does nothing, it has a green light in the switch, but it doesn't light up.

If u have an alarm/immobilizer, those wires going to the back of ur cluster could be to activate ur blinkers when u arm/disarm it. Those loose plugs are prolly just for accessories or extras that didn't come with ur car, eg. sunroof.

I have a series one auto in the same colour. '94. Similar wiring mods by the looks.

Have you figured out what they are? Does your cluster lights work?

If u have an alarm/immobilizer, those wires going to the back of ur cluster could be to activate ur blinkers when u arm/disarm it. Those loose plugs are prolly just for accessories or extras that didn't come with ur car, eg. sunroof.

ok so black plug may be for sunroof or something.. its quite short thou and doesnt even react the aerial plug,..

The wires from the cluster are not connected to anything yet indicators blink still with alarm being set..?

Hey man

FET , there is a this FET brand turbo timer as well , is that some old turbo timer thing ?

to check that , have a ook at the ignition unit if there is an extra harness that goes into some unit.

if not that , it could be some cut off relay for some electronic component as stereo ( check if wires are coming from fuse box) and where does that go to.

Yes my cluster back lights work fine, but it just occurred to me that my car had an extra dial fitted (mine is near cigarette lighter) that was installed as part of the Aussie compliance. It adjusts the brightness of the cluster backlights. If u have disconnected this, either deliberately or by accident while removing ur dash, the lights will no longer work.

Or maybe it was removed and that's what the 2 loose wires are. If that is the case, connecting those 2 wires might solve it, but prolly best to check with a sparky first.

I dont have a dial... can someone show me a pic of S1 dash, i think i got S2... should i just put wires both together?