SAU Community

Shannons Insurance Snowy Mountains 1000

SM1000

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I haven’t driven on an airport run way before so was not sure what to expect but really disappointed on the condition of the run way. Starting on the worse section gravel everywhere, no chance of even using launch control pulled away from 1500rpm and still wheel spinning and wheel spinning into 3rd gear. Lose gravel down the whole runway and braking area was bad again with 2 large bumps at the end. Only did one run as I didn’t want to stuff my paint work with stone chips and damaged my front lip splitter on the braking area over a bump. I may be fussy as I try and look after my car but speaking with others they were not to impressed over the track conditions.

That’s my little rant....

From a spectators perspective the masses were very dissapointed with the organisation

The barriers were placed so far back you could not hear or see the cars.

Scoreboard times were not posted untl after the 4th group of cars had there first run

There was no commentating (at least until after the 4th group was finished) and even then it was Meh and sporadic

Our entertainment was the weekend traffic being pulled over by the police just outside the fence line which we could see clearly

Well I haven’t driven on an airport run way before so was not sure what to expect but really disappointed on the condition of the run way. Starting on the worse section gravel everywhere, no chance of even using launch control pulled away from 1500rpm and still wheel spinning and wheel spinning into 3rd gear. Lose gravel down the whole runway and braking area was bad again with 2 large bumps at the end. Only did one run as I didn’t want to stuff my paint work with stone chips and damaged my front lip splitter on the braking area over a bump. I may be fussy as I try and look after my car but speaking with others they were not to impressed over the track conditions.

I know how you feel battling for traction, I was trying to do it with a 2WD! It meant that I was not able to run my car anywhere near its peak power unfortunately, would have loved to have full boost in it from 3rd gear as it hooks up on the street and Cootamundra.

It is a great concept, it's a shame the surface was not better.

I didn't realise how bad the damage was until I changed my wheels this morning, the rocks made an absolute mess of my side skirts (looks like they've been sandblasted and fibreglass now exposed), wheels chipped real bad.

I'm not really too fussed when it comes to things like that, but I'm sure it would be enough to turn car lovers away.

Adam did mention hot-mix for the first 140m next year, would definitely make it more competitive, would be nice if they could extend that to 400m :)

Ultimately, it is runway racing. It is not a perfectly prepared drag strip. There will ALWAYS be stones on it, regardless of Cooma or Temora or anywhere else. However, we are taking steps to make the launch area MUCH better for next year with hot mix off the line to get the cars underway. We also received a lot of positive feedback about the fact that at least we made the effort to try and clean the start with brooms

Thanks for the feedback about the end of the runway. I spoke to most of the competitors at the finish line throughout the day. I asked nearly everyone who i did manage to get a chat with up there as to what they thought of the start, middle and finish, and the only comment was the first 100m was garbage. Most competitors mentioned that it was no worse than anywhere else. Again, Thanks for the feedback on the finish.

From a spectators perspective the masses were very dissapointed with the organisation

The barriers were placed so far back you could not hear or see the cars.

Scoreboard times were not posted untl after the 4th group of cars had there first run

There was no commentating (at least until after the 4th group was finished) and even then it was Meh and sporadic

Good to see that there was a decent sized scoreboard there at all. We had a power supply issue for the modem from the timing guys

Barriers will be 70m closer to the track next year, so going from 140m to 70m away. This years distance was a requirement by our DSR Permit and track inspection, with the room to move closer if no issues this year

Adam did mention hot-mix for the first 140m next year, would definitely make it more competitive, would be nice if they could extend that to 400m :)

Correct

If you guys have any other feedback, please feel free to email us at [email protected]. The more we know, the more we can keep doing or improve if needed

Cheers

The stones were no where near as bad at Temora,Im not laying crap on the event,just saying it was bad.Alot of the cars entered are beautiful street cars and thats a definate turn off.

I totally agree.