SAU Community

Federal Tyres Rant

R DIRTY 3

I have used Federal tyres for many years and for the time i was managing parts sales in a local dealership they were a top choice.

However in recent times the quality of the tyre is suffering. I purchased a set for my own car (toyota Hilux) as was told i would get 80,000km out of them so i fitted them up. A week later my car had problems and went off the road for over a month. In this time we noticed the sidewall was peeling apart. Upon further inspection, turns out all 4 are peeling on the inside and outside.

Rang the Federal distributor...no help at all. Basically they wont be crediting or repalcing them under warranty as the damage is "mostly likely Under inflation, over Inflation and/or kerb damage". (on all 4, inside and outside????)

Now this could be fair comments...except the vehicle has not seen any serious off road (maybe 20km on sand at best) and total km is maybe 1000km as the rest of the time, it was literally on blocks.

Upon doing some research, i am not the only person in perth to have such problems.

So if i have been using them for years, spent a hell of a lot of money with them and still get the cold shoulder with an issue....what chance do you have if you buy a set a year etc.

Maybe save your self the hassle and look around for another brand to use these days.

Very disappointed in a product that once was fantastic :(

Rant over

Edited by R DIRTY 3

Damn!! Thats pretty harsh treatment for someone who has probably generated more sales for them guys than their own sales team.

Over the years, I have come to trust your judgement on these things bard, so thanks for the heads up. Guess I will stick to Michelins for a few more years then eh?

i had "triangle" tyres on my 34 as part of compliance. . . triangle by name and nature- ferkn horrible

I have being using some china spec tires for 4 years now, the 1st set lasted for ~40,000 kms with a bad alignment & the 2nd set still looks new.

No traction at all in the wet, but I just learned to take off slower than a granny in a Corolla when it is raining.

• 2 weeks later...

What was the build date of the tyres, did they sell you old stock ?

They are current stock. Not old or anything like that....already looked at that.

Just a shit product and a shit service from Cometti Tyres the distributor

There is no independant third party you can complain to?

with sidewall peeling inside and back on all four tyres indicating faulty/defective manufacture there has to be some way you can get refunded/new tyres etc out of it

department of consumer affairs?