SAU Community

Gts4 Rolling Shell, Need Advice On Replacement Motor And Box

anikee

Hi Guys,

I joined the forum few days back, reading and hoping to find a answer to my Delmer.

I currently am doing a full resto on a 69 dodge phoenix now for over a year and i am needing a break on it, so i decided to buy a cheap skyline and go from there.

Too cut a long story short, I bought a immaculate rolling shell R33 GTS4 and all that it requires is motor, box n ecu, thinking how hard is it to slip an engine n box...........well

After trying to find anything that could help me out, i got totally confuddelled :wacko: ...but from what I have read I have one of the less desirable skylines.

All I would like to do is get the car back running in original set up and everything to work as it was before removal of old motor n box.

Now do i need to find a replacement from another R33 GTS4 or Can i source a RB25DE form another car?

what about ecu? do i use the one from replacement motor or find one from a GTS4?

I need a gearbox, can i use one out of a GTS T or from any other model.

I know some of my questions might be stupid to some but i do apologize, so if anyone can throw me a link, phone number or any advice it would be most appreciated.post-97245-0-73837000-1344527018_thumb.jpgpost-97245-0-77517700-1344527056_thumb.jpg

In my view the GTS4 is one of the more desirable Skylines (poormans GTR). Importantly it is awd.

Ideally you would get an RB26 and GTR gearbox or second best an awd Stagea Neo turbo engine and GTR gearbox or finally a S1 awd Stagea( R33 S2 RB25DET) motor and GTR gearbox. In each case you would need the ecu and loom to go with the motor.

If you really don't want a turbo you would need a Stagea awd RB25DE (fairly rare in Aussie - dime a dozen in NZ) or an original GTS4 engine.

Putting an rb26 in mime, stock box. Or another great option is the neo 25det. Both a straight drop in but custom piping needed, a stud conversion of not already done. You mentioned de motors? Don't want turbo?

Choose Neo before GTR motor. Less fuss, still easy to make power later if wanted, variable cam timing to put some torque into the bottom end. Much cheaper.

But.... be aware that a conversion to Turbo will require a brake upgrade to be legal, means going over the pits etc etc. If you were to drop an original GTS4 motor into it you will have an easier time of getting it back on the road.

Gts4 came factory turbo, no need for engineer cirt at all.

Not quite true. If it was an NA, then it will have NA brakes. You cannot legally put a turbo in without upgrading brakes. In SA, that means at a minimum it has to go to Regency for ID and roadworthy inspections in order to "complete" the engine swap - no engineer required, but the inspection is compulsory. In some other states, a brake swap is a trigger for an engineer's report, even if other versions of the same car had the required brakes.

Even an RB25DET into R32 (from RB20DET starting point) requires the R33 brakes.

In my view the GTS4 is one of the more desirable Skylines (poormans GTR). Importantly it is awd.

Ideally you would get an RB26 and GTR gearbox or second best an awd Stagea Neo turbo engine and GTR gearbox or finally a S1 awd Stagea( R33 S2 RB25DET) motor and GTR gearbox. In each case you would need the ecu and loom to go with the motor.

If you really don't want a turbo you would need a Stagea awd RB25DE (fairly rare in Aussie - dime a dozen in NZ) or an original GTS4 engine.

Thanx for the reply KiwiRS4T , ok thats givem me an idea. i would go for the easiest option and try and source a GTS4 donk n box.

Choose Neo before GTR motor. Less fuss, still easy to make power later if wanted, variable cam timing to put some torque into the bottom end. Much cheaper. But.... be aware that a conversion to Turbo will require a brake upgrade to be legal, means going over the pits etc etc. If you were to drop an original GTS4 motor into it you will have an easier time of getting it back on the road.
yeah going to original setup is the go, way easier n cheaper i think. i can always then sell it and buy something already with a turbo ;later if i like.