SAU Community

Xo2 Exhaust With Magnaflow X Pipe

Hi there,

Is anyone out there running with an XO2 catback/Magnaflow X pipe combination where the X pipe replaces the XO2's H pipe? It apparently reduces the drone substantially.

Just got myself an XO2 and am now considering whether I should get the Magnaflow X pipe.

Cheers,

Keith

I know a lot of guys on V35 Coupe drivers fb page that run HKS reps with and without the Magnaflow X Pipe, every person i talk to that has the Magnaflow says it makes a massive difference to the drone and sounds very clear. I would definintely recommend the Magnaflow X Pipe.

I've yet to install my Megan Racing axle-back but what would be a good combination to complete the catback system to achieve a minimal drone, maximum legal sound level on acceleration whilst still maintaining the deep note this axle-back gives? Would this XO2 and Magnaflow combination be the way to go?

I've yet to install my Megan Racing axle-back but what would be a good combination to complete the catback system to achieve a minimal drone, maximum legal sound level on acceleration whilst still maintaining the deep note this axle-back gives? Would this XO2 and Magnaflow combination be the way to go?

I know a guy in the states that has a HKS rep with Magnaflow X-Pipe + Test Pipes and it sounds crazy. Not too loud but very intimidating!

Ok, I'm a little lost here but what the fudge are test pipes? Is that another term for resonators?

I'm a little lost myself, but i believe test pipes are a straight pipe that delete the resonaters making it much much louder. Someone that 100% knows the answer to this please correct me.

?not sure why all these eBay special/taiwanese/chinese knockoff parts seem to be so popular?(appart from being cheeeeap!)

my experience is if you want good quality fit,sound,performance, DONT BUY CHEAP SHIT PARTS??!!

People buy them because they give the SAME sound at HALF the price made out of the SAME materials or very similar materials. Do some research before you assume they are "shit parts" people run HKS replica exhausts for years with no problems at all.

Edited by Seano350GT

Test pipes are straight through pipes that replace the cat - the claim is more power cos there is no flow restriction - they are also very illegal for on road use. Also know as cat delete pipes.Cheaper cos all they are is a straight through piece of pipe. They are claimed to be louder but also raspier.

www.G35driver.com is a really good place to search all kinds of V stuff

Edited by Skylinetragic

Ok. That makes more sense then. Bugger that. I'd rather not contend with the EPA. I had a test pipe in my Maxima before embarking on the turbo project. After that, I was prepared to spend the cash on a Magnaflow HFC since taking out the cat would've been a minuscule gain in the grand scheme of things. It wasn't a race car where every millisecond counts.

I know a lot of guys on V35 Coupe drivers fb page that run HKS reps with and without the Magnaflow X Pipe, every person i talk to that has the Magnaflow says it makes a massive difference to the drone and sounds very clear. I would definintely recommend the Magnaflow X Pipe.

Thanks for the info Sean. Much appreciated.

oops may have touched a nerve there!

i suppose ebay replica stuff is the same as genuine in the same way as many people are keen to buy a fake TAG watch from bali instead of a genuine one-looks the same as long as you dont look too close,does the same job,some of them are pretty reliable and keep time 99.9%as accurately,all for much much cheaper.

i guess i value the craftsmanship (weld quality,appearance,sound,design) more and am happy to pay a premium for it.each to their own..with exhaust systems its not a safety item like say,tyres,suspension,so build quality is not as paramount.

returning to the OP's question,ive personaly driven a VQ35 with a fujitsubo legalis catback,amuse catback with tomei exh mani and front pipes,and blitz catback-all have in my opinion a very nice sound characteristic.quiet at light engine load and low revs,and a nice raspy bark under heavier load-not too loud but very nice. the tomei/amuse combo was particularly nice sounding an looked amazing,but of course this is a very pricey option!

i guess i just wanted to say it may be worth considering replacing your existing one with something like this if you are not happy with the droning sound of your current one.check

out this link for a selection of exhaust sound vids:

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/353062-aftermarket-coupe-exhaust-compilation.html

oops may have touched a nerve there!

i suppose ebay replica stuff is the same as genuine in the same way as many people are keen to buy a fake TAG watch from bali instead of a genuine one-looks the same as long as you dont look too close,does the same job,some of them are pretty reliable and keep time 99.9%as accurately,all for much much cheaper.

i guess i value the craftsmanship (weld quality,appearance,sound,design) more and am happy to pay a premium for it.each to their own..with exhaust systems its not a safety item like say,tyres,suspension,so build quality is not as paramount.

returning to the OP's question,ive personaly driven a VQ35 with a fujitsubo legalis catback,amuse catback with tomei exh mani and front pipes,and blitz catback-all have in my opinion a very nice sound characteristic.quiet at light engine load and low revs,and a nice raspy bark under heavier load-not too loud but very nice. the tomei/amuse combo was particularly nice sounding an looked amazing,but of course this is a very pricey option!

i guess i just wanted to say it may be worth considering replacing your existing one with something like this if you are not happy with the droning sound of your current one.check

out this link for a selection of exhaust sound vids:

http://g35driver.com...ompilation.html

I agree with you on this, speaking on fake TAG's... i may own one but it is very good quality.

It's like knock-off replica rims, people that use for instance, XXR's instead of WORKS cop shit for being "cheap". But with exhausts i do believe a massive amount of people use replica's because the build quality is very much the same as the genuine builds.at a fraction of the cost.

Exhaust is probably the only modification i'd personally use a knock-off brand, it's like a post i wrote in a different topic about suspension i will NEVER use anything i've never heard of. I will only use well known products that offer warranty etc i don't mind paying the extra $$ for peace of mind!

Also i am guessing that link is the exhaust compilation of g35driver.com (it's blocked on my work computer) that is a great source but bare in mind the exhaust is going to sound much much different in person. It's like the MD Shockwave TDX V2 is the sexiest sounding exhaust on the VQ engines but on a sound clip you don't get that same feeling as you do in person.

Edited by Seano350GT

Exhaust is probably the only modification i'd personally use a knock-off brand, it's like a post i wrote in a different topic about suspension i will NEVER use anything i've never heard of. I will only use well known products that offer warranty etc i don't mind paying the extra $$ for peace of mind!

Interesting statement since you will also not buy a set of RDA rotors because they were being sold on Ebay. :whistling:

I should probably add to the original vs knock off debate to say that the fitment on my XO2 exhaust was way off. Not just the tips mind you but both of the pipes had to be cut and welded to make it fit. Set me back $650 just for the rectification works.

Mate of mine got the same exhaust from the same company at the same time, and his fits perfectly other than some misaligned tips.

So...end of the day, this is a risk that you take in going done the knock off path. If you are lucky, (like 90% of the others), there will be no issues. But you could be the 10% that encounter fitment issues with no right of recourse against the manufacturer..(cuz there isn't one! (other than perhaps Top Speed).

Just a different perspective, but maybe you are paying for all the R&D for companies like HKS, Fujitsubo, Blitz, Weldina etc that goes into designing an exhaust that has the right sound, right volume, right flow characteristics and certain rpm.... and bolts straight on.

Just a thought... I mean can you imagine these copy companies trying to design something instead of copying? Do you think they would/could come out with a similar high quality unit?

Just a different perspective, but maybe you are paying for all the R&D for companies like HKS, Fujitsubo, Blitz, Weldina etc that goes into designing an exhaust that has the right sound, right volume, right flow characteristics and certain rpm.... and bolts straight on.

Just a thought... I mean can you imagine these copy companies trying to design something instead of copying? Do you think they would/could come out with a similar high quality unit?

Heck no. The argument was that these replicas use materials of similar qualities. In brakes, suspension, wheels where pressure is constantly being applied, you would want the assurance that they aren't going to fail. In an exhaust system, this factor isbt as significant as they aren't load bearing items. The argument wasn't about design, it was about safety in build quality.