SAU Community

Intercooler Gains

Anz32GTR

Heyy everyone this topic has prob been talked about befor i dont want to start any arguments or anything, everyone has there own believes. but just want to know some of the Gains use have gotten with replacing a factory r32 gtr cooler to a after market one. such as greedy, HKS, ARC ect.

Also if the engine is high comp (9,1) dos this play a role in how thick the cooler should be ect.

cheers Anz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the new PI magazine, the r32 gtr "gmaster" made 360kw with stock r32 cooler, then changed to an r34 cooler and made 380kw, then again changed to a cooling pro 76mm core and made 411kw....

All runs done on JEMs Dyno...

Once you get to those power levels, the little GTR cooler is probably causing a fair bit of pressure drop. Might still cool fairly well, but unloading the compressor will in turn unload the turbine, which reduces backpressure in the exhaust and lets the powers out.

Once you get to those power levels, the little GTR cooler is probably causing a fair bit of pressure drop. Might still cool fairly well, but unloading the compressor will in turn unload the turbine, which reduces backpressure in the exhaust and lets the powers out.

well thats what i was thinking my car at 13 pound is making 290 not much gains to 17-18 psi the car runs fairly cold but there is a restriction somewhere and its all pointing to the cooler. . dumps front pipes ect are all big with no step downs.

im making 320kw at 17-18 pound atm but fuel pump needs direct feed its leaning out. with hks gtss.

Well I can only speak from the results I've personally seen. I had a Greddy upgrade core on my built GTR and -5s making 365rwkw @ 19psi.

My car:

- Made the same power

- Had the same response

- Almost identical intake temps after 5mins on circuit (talking less than 2 degree difference, cars had different front bars)

as cars with the same motor build/turbo config that utilised stock R32 GTR or stock R34 GTR cores. These were cars from the same tuner, using the same dyno.

I've also seen a GTR core flow 400rwkw on over 20psi from a 2.8ltr stroker, with the lap times to back up the performance.

IMO you would be wasting your money.

well thats what i was thinking my car at 13 pound is making 290 not much gains to 17-18 psi the car runs fairly cold but there is a restriction somewhere and its all pointing to the cooler. . dumps front pipes ect are all big with no step downs.

Garrett -9s (GT-SS) are only capable of making max of 330-340rwkw on 20-22psi... So 320rwkw @ 18psi sounds exactly right really.

Garrett -9s (GT-SS) are only capable of making max of 330-340rwkw on 20-22psi... So 320rwkw @ 18psi sounds exactly right really.

I've also had -9s prior and made 330rwkw on 19psi, using stock dump pipes - ran 124mph as well which is smack on the money for the power :thumbsup:

haha well im going to change my cooler and post up befor and after dino runs and see the differences. i honestly dont think the stock cooler can flow that much.

MPH never lies, so the proof would suggest otherwise (people said stock dumps couldn't either, but ive proven that wrong) :)

Make sure you do pressure drop testing as well :thumbsup:

Well I can only speak from the results I've personally seen. I had a Greddy upgrade core on my built GTR and -5s making 365rwkw @ 19psi.

My car:

- Made the same power

- Had the same response

- Almost identical intake temps after 5mins on circuit (talking less than 2 degree difference, cars had different front bars)

as cars with the same motor build/turbo config that utilised stock R32 GTR or stock R34 GTR cores. These were cars from the same tuner, using the same dyno.

I've also seen a GTR core flow 400rwkw on over 20psi from a 2.8ltr stroker, with the lap times to back up the performance.

Thing that I see from that is the tanks are the same and the internal cross sectional area of the core is the same. So, whilst they might be able to design the tubes to flow a little more than a standard GTR core, it's really very close to being the same cooler, in terms of how much flow it will do for a given pressure drop.

Edited by GTSBoy

Well this is where it always gets interesting :)

The core Nizpro use for their XR6 upgrades flows enough for 400-450rwkw and these cars are well proven. From memory it's roughly:

400mmL x 300mmH x 76mmD

Now look at a Greddy replacement size:

600mmL x 284mmH x 76mmD

If Nizpro cores that are pretty much the same size as a GTR core (GTR is actually larger)... and they flow easily 400rwkw... I don't see why it's so hard to believe a GTR one, or sized replacement, can't?

I've got it on good authority, as i was going to use one on my GTS-R, that the drop across the Nizpro core is only ~1.5psi which is fine in that volume as any less it won't be cooling enough given it's always a trade off between flow/cooling/size.

As for the XR6 cooler debate its really not a fair comparisson putting a 4L I6 next to a 2.6L I6.

The Barra can push out 320rwkw out of 12psi with not too much difficulty. Compare that to the conventional 18 - 20psi to get the same power level out of your typical twin setup RB (purely going by the results I have seen in the RB26 Dyno thread in the past).

Interested to see results Anz ! If you get your hands on a well priced hks/greddy/arc unit why not replace the 20 year old Nissan intercooler thats probably seen better days.

sorry was this on BP pump or E85 / Water meth??