SAU Community

Some Question Before My Upgrade Week (Finally)!

itpesaf

Hey guys

Am planning on doing some basic engine mods on my 350gt!

I've done a bit of research and it seems like a plenum spacer and z tube would be a good starting place for me.

Now for the questions

I'm looking at buying a motordyine 5/16" plenum spacer, however there are 3 different types -

Basic

Thermal

Copper iso

Which one should I buy? and if I get it from ebay will I be receiving everything I will need for the install? or are there other parts I need to get?

Also with the z-tube is it more effective with a pod style filter like a jwt pop-charger/z-tube combo? or will a panel filter be fine? I believe I have an aftermarket panel filter (blue in colour) however am not sure as to what brand, and I'm not too keen on oiling it up as I've heard the oil-up ones can reduce the life of some component (forgot the name).

Do you guys think these mods will make a noticeable difference or am I just wasting my time? I've seen some people claim that a plenum spacer with z-tube/aftermarket filter will give you 5-10 extra kw at the wheels, but it seems a bit too good to be true!?

Thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey man i had a exhaust, cats, plenum and CAI kit. at one stage i had catback only, then catback and CAI, then added the spacer then finally cats. all together i didnt notice much power gain. i took off the exhaust before selling my car and left cats, spacer and CAI.

imo and if i were to do it again id go with 100 cell cats with stock exhaust, maybe a z tube and a panel filter K&N in stock airbox. as for the spacer it did feel like i had a bit more mid-high power open up (not much though).

it is expensive for power to come out of an n/a if your not going to SC or Turbo it...and even doing that costs a pretty penny. im sure others will agree with this comment.

on an end note, check out forums and g35 driver forums for some of the items your looking for, somethings guys here and there selling brand new or near new or low used km items your looking at getting for cheaper than new from ebay or shops that's sell the stuff (i bought a MD copper spacer of a member on G35 it was new and i got it for the price of a basic).

hope that helps.

Edited by Ezy03

Mechanically I have done:

- Kinetix upper plenum (equivalent if not a tad better than a spacer)

- Carbon fibre Z-tube

- Stock air box with HKS high flow panel filter

- Kinetix High flow cats

- Megan Racing Y-pipe

- Custom 3" mid pipe (no resonator)

- stock axle-back exhaust

Untuned it made my power go from 149rwkw to 174rwkw, then with the addition of an Apexi SAFCII and tune went to 183rwkw. HUGE difference in response, delivery and top end power.

Thanks for the response guys,

I'm basically getting these items for my birthday, but still want to make sure they will be worth it.

Would you guys say that high flow cats provide more power than z-tube/filter and plenum spacer?

Could you guys tell me which of the ones listed below are actual high flow cats that would fit the v35

http://www.japaneseimportspares.com.au/itemdetails/12658

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-350Z-VQ35DE-STAINLESS-STEEL-RACE-CATS-TEST-PIPES-/200437210693?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eaafd1e45#ht_1237wt_906

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5-High-Flow-100cpsi-Metal-Cat-350Z-SILVIA-SUPRA-/200500702274?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eaec5ec42#ht_1565wt_1111

Nightcrawler 149 to 174 rwkw is a pretty big jump untuned! my friends legnum which has had heaps of work done to it is around 170awkw and it feels proper fast lol so if I could get around 170rwkw with bolt ons on the v35 I'll be really happy! (obviously that's further down the track)

The top 2 links are for test pipes - which are NOT cats - they are just straight through pipes. The bottom one is for a cat, but it is only that - you would need major fabrication to fit to your car. From memory my Kinetix hfcs were around $600 delivered from the USA for the pair.

I recently did the same engine mods as what you are looking at. It's a good place to start.

I went with MD basic 5/16 spacer (ISO and Copper are for the US where it gets supa cold), OEM Z Tube and OEM Rev-Up Air box with a K&N panel (this adds a velocity stack over the basic hole in out air box) just to keep the stock look.

I already have a Tanabe cat back so I have noticed a small gain thru mid to high rev range. Nothing to soil your pants with tho.

Best of luck.

As most have said, NA mods are going to be fairly minimal unless you want to spend some $$$.

If you do a search, there is a post (might even be on G35driver.com) showing dyno tests of many different plenum spacers.

So they do produce some real benefits, but they are probably too small to notice with a 'butt' dyno.

Z-tube is more about the induction noise than any performance benefits.

The basic 5/16 spacer is just a thermal spacer between the upper and lower plenum.

The Thermo also includes a thermal spacer between the intake manifold and the lower plenum. - good for hot climates.

The iso copper has the same as the thermo, plus a copper throttle body heater plate which helps prevent the throttle body icing up in cold climates.

Am planning on doing some basic engine mods on my 350gt!

I've done a bit of research and it seems like a plenum spacer and z tube would be a good starting place for me.

Also with the z-tube is it more effective with a pod style filter like a jwt pop-charger/z-tube combo? or will a panel filter be fine? I believe I have an aftermarket panel filter (blue in colour) however am not sure as to what brand, and I'm not too keen on oiling it up as I've heard the oil-up ones can reduce the life of some component (forgot the name).

Do you guys think these mods will make a noticeable difference or am I just wasting my time? I've seen some people claim that a plenum spacer with z-tube/aftermarket filter will give you 5-10 extra kw at the wheels, but it seems a bit too good to be true!?

Honestly, I feel that CAIs and plenum spacers are a waste of money, like most NA upgrades. The real power gains are in forced induction and given the cost of all these NA upgrades, it would be wiser to save that money towards either turbo or supercharging your vehicle.

I went through that whole NA upgrade phase with my old Maxima and I learned that spending all that money to gain a measly 15kW was pointless. The only real NA upgrade that was worthwhile was my old Jacobs Pro-Street ignition system because of the fuel economy I got in return. From a performance standpoint, it was only about 10kW gain. Nothing significant at all.

^^^ I disagree. Everyone who owns a standard V35 that goes in my car LOVES the extra power ..... and for a $3k spend with factory reliability vs a $10k+ spend for endless troubles, it is well worth modding without FI. Of course FI is going to have better gains, but seriously if you want to do FI properly you don't just need the turbo/supercharger kit, you REALLY need to upgrade/strengthen your trans, upgrade/strengthen your diff, and a whole host of other upgrades. Suddenly it is a $20k spend if you want to do it completely properly and do lower compression pistons and a mild engine overhaul.

^^ i kind of agree with nightcrawler on this too. NA mods are never going to get you spine-snapping acceleration, but as he has shown, with some good exhaust mods and some mild intake, there are some gains, 34rwkw is probably more than you would get on most NA cars with similar mods. and $3k isn't too bad.

It really depends on what you want.. if you just want a bit more stick from your daily without sacrificing fuel economy and spending big $$, NA is probably the best way.

if you want an outright performance machine, then definatly save your pennies and go FI.

I'm with Andrew and Greg here. NA mods are good to give more responsiveness and a touch more kick. allow the engine to breath better and you'll feel a bit more power but if you want a wicked totes amazeballs track machine, FI is the way to go.

Of course FI is going to have better gains, but seriously if you want to do FI properly you don't just need the turbo/supercharger kit, you REALLY need to upgrade/strengthen your trans, upgrade/strengthen your diff, and a whole host of other upgrades. Suddenly it is a $20k spend if you want to do it completely properly and do lower compression pistons and a mild engine overhaul.

Exactly and that's where the money is better spent. As for endless troubles, that all depends on how far you want to push it and how good a job you do on it.

For example, mild 12PSI on an 80,000km VG30E with stock internals produced zero reliability issues for 5 years and 40,000km. Granted, we're talking a cast iron block as opposed to an alloy block, which would need sleeving and either decompressing the head or the pistons (or perhaps both, depending on the engineering behind it) but nevertheless, there's no reason why there should be problems if the job is done thoughtfully and with the appropriate expense.

Anyway, that's me and that's you so we'll just enjoy our vehicles the way we like. Nothing wrong with it either way.

^^ how did the horrid RE4F02A transmission hold up to boost?

Goes back to my original argument about doing things right. It was shipped up to Hamburg, New Jersey where Level 10 worked their magic on it for $8000 back in 2001. As you know, those Jatco slushies were prone to failure with their really soft shifts. It was the second time the car fried the transmission with the first being covered by Nissan's warranty. As I planned to go turbo in the following two years or so, doing a proper performance rebuild on the transmission was the first thing on the list.

And I guess that is the point.. most people aren't interesting in spending the market value of the car on 1 item, just to prepare for performance mods.

If you have bottomless pockets and are prepared to spend more than the car is worth (money you will never see again), then you can do a nice reliable turbo/supercharger build that should't give you many headaches. In which case, it's worth considering selling the V35 and looking at something like a GT-R where the rest of the car has the pedigree to match.

However, saving $500 or so to put toward a $20k+ quality FI build doesn't appear to be what the OP was looking to do, considering he said 'basic engine mods'.

And I guess that is the point.. most people aren't interesting in spending the market value of the car on 1 item, just to prepare for performance mods.

If you have bottomless pockets and are prepared to spend more than the car is worth (money you will never see again), then you can do a nice reliable turbo/supercharger build that should't give you many headaches. In which case, it's worth considering selling the V35 and looking at something like a GT-R where the rest of the car has the pedigree to match.

However, saving $500 or so to put toward a $20k+ quality FI build doesn't appear to be what the OP was looking to do, considering he said 'basic engine mods'.

Each to his own though. I know the OP was seeking basic engine mods but I simply put forward my view, questioning the value of going that path. That's all.

Nobody really modifies a car expecting it to increase, let alone maintain, the value of it. We all know cars are money pits. Some of us like to keep them until they fall apart, others sell them off in exchange for the next thing they crave. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions.

I gave my opinion with no intention to suggest that anyone was right or wrong with what they do with their cash. If he wants to go the way of plenum spacers and whatnot, all the power to him and he'll still have my respect for the effort and TLC he gives it.

As for buying a GT-R, that would only happen for me once the vehicle costs much less than what they're currently worth. Until then, FI mods done well will yield great results for the money by comparison despite the lack of a thoroughbred race vehicle build which the R35 possesses. Nothing wrong with just being unique. ;)

Sure.. and I think you make a good point in that if you are going FI, to do it properly. We don't want to see anyone buying a $5k turbo kit, fitting it, winding the boost up and ending up with a pile of molten metal..

Power can be addictive too.. some just want simple NA mods to make few extra KW.. then want more and go with cams and ECU tune.. and eventually realise they have to go FI to get any more.. and could have gone straight to a FI setup with less $$ in the first place. I guess that is what you are trying to warn against?

Some are happy with just a bit more than stock, and will leave there.

Sure.. and I think you make a good point in that if you are going FI, to do it properly. We don't want to see anyone buying a $5k turbo kit, fitting it, winding the boost up and ending up with a pile of molten metal..

Power can be addictive too.. some just want simple NA mods to make few extra KW.. then want more and go with cams and ECU tune.. and eventually realise they have to go FI to get any more.. and could have gone straight to a FI setup with less $$ in the first place. I guess that is what you are trying to warn against?

Some are happy with just a bit more than stock, and will leave there.

Spot on. It's easy to get bitten by the bug and it definitely bit me on the arse mighty hard. After the CAI and ignition system weren't enough, it was then the nitrous, then it was the turbo. From there on in, I swore to myself to go straight to the top if I wanted serious power but that's in a distant future for this animal, I reckon. We'll see. :)

Hopefully I haven't made myself out to be a pretentious arsehole in voicing my opinion and let's face it, we all have one (of each).