SAU Community

Boost Gauge - Where Does The T Piece Go?

hop1308

The boost sensor for the ECU (the hose you circled in blue earlier) doesn't see vacuum, don't touch this one.

The standard gauge is electric, but it uses a boost sensor which is then hooked up via a hose to the manifold (the one Johnnilicte showed). You should T into this one

oh okay, i looked at john's photo and i really cant see where that is in my R34. would anyone be able to describe it a little more, or even have a photo of the actual hose on a R34?

Scared of T-ing into the wrong hose, thats all.

• 2 weeks later...

U dnt need to t piece into anything...on the controller ot has 2 out let's...one to waste gate then one goes just before ya turbo...it needs to be close to the vacuum course....turbo...

As for cutting it into ya bov gauage u have to be silly...

Because it will boost spike...u need to run it before ya throttle body...

All u need to do it look where stock ones run...then place ya controller inn there...

Then keep stock gauage...

Everything stock is designed better then aftermarket....

Simple. ....

U dnt need to t piece into anything...on the controller ot has 2 out let's...one to waste gate then one goes just before ya turbo...it needs to be close to the vacuum course....turbo...

As for cutting it into ya bov gauage u have to be silly...

Because it will boost spike...u need to run it before ya throttle body...

All u need to do it look where stock ones run...then place ya controller inn there...

Then keep stock gauage...

Everything stock is designed better then aftermarket....

Simple. ....

bro.... I think you've misread the OP's question LOL....

He's talking about a Boost Gauge NOT Controller! I would never recommend a boost controller to be connected post throttle, that's insane!

• 1 month later...

I've always T'd into the end of the plenum, where the stock vacuum lines goes into the stock boost sensor for the dash (this is for a R33) I am assuming the R34 is the same.

Look at the black cap on the RHS next to the vacuum line for the brake booster, use that.. or if too hard basket, just snip the BOV vacuum line.. easy.

cp10.jpg

sorry, I'm really amateur and locating things in my engine bay, still learning.

Could you provide a photo and circle the actual hose to T into please? Not used to seeing the engine out of the bay lol, and don't really know what a plenum is. I would like to directly use the old vacuum line of the existing boost gauge, but as I understand, the stock ones is electrical?

Not sure if R34 is the same as R33 but...

In this pic, the Blue lines indicate the hose going to the boost sensor (Black box circled in Red) which sends the signal to the stock boost gauge.

The Yellow arrow is pointing at the Tee piece I put in which goes to a Cheapo Boost gauge. This way both the stock gauge and the aftermarket gauge both work.

post-78856-0-63960900-1353918239_thumb.jpg

Reminds me I should replace that crappy bit of clear hose I have there. :whistling:

Hope this helps.

oh ok, makes sense.

I had a look under my hood today and found the following.

The thing circled in red is the stock boost sensor, and the yellow and blue lines are the same line, however they are connected through the thing i boxed in green.

My questions are..

WHAT is the thing boxed in green?? And should i T into the hose that i've marked yellow or blue?

20121127_170947.jpg

I just don't want to be cutting into a hose im not 110% sure about lol. Sorry for the hassle.

Cheers,

Kevin

I'm guessing it is a filter to potentially stop crud getting where it shouldn't. I guessed wrong.

If that line is for the boost sensor,Find the correct line, pull it off the sensor, put the T in it, attach a short hose to the T and reconnect it to the sensor, attach another hose to the other part of the T and attach that hose to your new gauge. Dones. No need to cut anything.

Edited by Not a Pulsar

Read the thread! It cannot possibly be made any clearer. If you still can't figure it out take it to someone who can :yes:

Tap it into one of the vacuum lines running off the intake manifold.

Do some reading up on engines and their basic layout - will help you a lot in future.

gallery_34711_3643_89247.jpg

See the cylindrical shaped thing on the bottom left with a black hose coming out the top of it? That is the blow off valve and the black hose is a vacuum line that runs from it to the intake manifold. You can splice your T piece into this line.

No, don't T into that hose, as said you won't get vacuum.

On the back drivers side of the intake manifold there will be a vacuum line the same size as that one which goes to your standard boost gauge, T into that.

Basically you can hook your boost gauge up to anything that's plumbed in AFTER the throttle body, except the fuel reg hose, but that's at the front of the engine anyway.

I've always T'd into the end of the plenum, where the stock vacuum lines goes into the stock boost sensor for the dash (this is for a R33) I am assuming the R34 is the same.

Look at the black cap on the RHS next to the vacuum line for the brake booster, use that.. or if too hard basket, just snip the BOV vacuum line.. easy.

cp10.jpg

The boost sensor for the ECU (the hose you circled in blue earlier) doesn't see vacuum, don't touch this one.

The standard gauge is electric, but it uses a boost sensor which is then hooked up via a hose to the manifold (the one Johnnilicte showed). You should T into this one

Not sure if R34 is the same as R33 but...

In this pic, the Blue lines indicate the hose going to the boost sensor (Black box circled in Red) which sends the signal to the stock boost gauge.

The Yellow arrow is pointing at the Tee piece I put in which goes to a Cheapo Boost gauge. This way both the stock gauge and the aftermarket gauge both work.

post-78856-0-63960900-1353918239_thumb.jpg

Reminds me I should replace that crappy bit of clear hose I have there. :whistling:

Hope this helps.

This^^^

You T into the hose, 1 part then goes into the stock sensor / sender, the other hose goes to your new gauge.

Piece of pie !!! I mean cake. :rolleyes:

That is the wrong sensor. That is the ECU's boost sensor, and the green thing is a check valve.

The sensor you want is over on the other side of the brake booster, connected to the plenum via a similar sized hose.

I'm guessing it is a filter to potentially stop crud getting where it shouldn't. I guessed wrong.

If that line is for the boost sensor,Find the correct line, pull it off the sensor, put the T in it, attach a short hose to the T and reconnect it to the sensor, attach another hose to the other part of the T and attach that hose to your new gauge. Dones. No need to cut anything.

ok, so im 99% sure this is right now lol.

I take the line i've outlined in red out of the sensor (circled in blue). Hook the T up to that, another tube back to the sensor and then the vac line from the gauge to the other end of the T.

20121128_081726-1.jpg

Correct me if i'm wrong.