SAU Community

Snowboarders!!!

BB GoDZilLa

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, got about 400days under my belt - a few seasons teaching in the usa helped that count :P

Going to NZ in aug/sep with a few mates, wouldn't mind trying to get up to the snow here a couple of times...

do you know what the deal is with chains on a 4wd? do you need them or what?

Went to NZ the last few year. Believe it or not a week in NZ is cheaper than a week at Buller or Falls.

U goin to Queenstown Ferni? The best Mountain around there is Cardrona, Treble Cone is OK but don't go to Remarkables.

For a 4WD u will still have to carry chains but u'll never need to use them. By law u must carry chains even for a 4WD. I'm pretty sure that is the case.

BB - yeah going to queenstown - i've been there twice before, been to all the mountains on the south island as well, and yeah cardrona is my fav, TC has some good freeriding as well tho, i didn't like remarkables when i went since it didn't have good snow cover so lots of rocks..., corenet peak is ok to muck around in the park...

yeah i thought that was the deal with chains - have to carry them but dont have to put them on - wouldn't want to put them on my wheels would scratch the fsk outta them :P

i got some old chains from my old car i can just carry them...

2wd drive cars dont have to use them, unless its been/is snowing heavy.. even then you can still get away with not putting them on... no one in the usa uses them, but they all have snow tyres but they all do like 80mph on the interstate right to the mountain :(

fooey - just remember to use your front foot to turn :P and keep your knees bent, very simple things but people who had been snowboarding for years used to come to me riding on thier back foot with straight legs...

only thing with the bus is you have to park your car at/near where you catch the bus?

Guest INASNT

I been working up near falls creek over the last few weeks and will be up there again from monday. Theres a bit of snow up near mount bogan but its ***ing cold as a muthfarka.

If u r heading toward falls creek then u gota have snow chains with ya before u start heading out of mount beauty if u have a 2wd. 4wd u dont have to really worry about it.

Ferni: Heh yeah, I used to have more weight on my backfoot as I thought that gave the impression that I wouldn't go as fast, however, took me a -long- time to work out thats why it took forever and a more before I could do decent turns.

When you have 50/50 turns are so much easier, but you also get a sensation (possibly true) that you are going faster.

fooey - yeah marbs - mate from qw back in the old days, still speak to him on icq etc :)

how do you know him?

sure i can give you a few tips if we are there at same time..

but no, putting your weight on your front foot won't make you go faster, only cause to you be in more control, rather than using the back half of your board to turn, you'll be useing the WHOLE board - gotta be better right? ;)

most people who haven't had a lesson, or been taught by friends, ride on thier back foot... i used to do it too when i started :P

I usually go up to Hotham for a week with mates but unfortuantely can't go this year. So I'd certainly be up for a few day trips to Bulla once the season starts - finances depending. Will probably have to be later in the season for me however - like late August or Sept.

I am however going boarding in Canada for 2 weeks this coming Christmas! :)

Will be doing some Buller weekends this year.

Lada is good in the snow :)

I went to NZ last September - fantastic stuff.

Agreed that Cardrona is the best - but had good fun at TC. Dislocated my shoulder ;)

Will be doing some Buller weekends this year.

Lada is good in the snow :)

What - only if you want frost bite or hyperthermia! I've usually found roofs and windows handy in the snow.

I'm a SKIER!!!! down to all boarders!! :( Just kidding, altho most snowboarders have an uncanny ability to stop in the bottle necks of runs or just after you get off a chairlift, and decide it's a great place to do your bindings up!! :D MOVE!!! :rofl:

I was in Whistler/Blackcomb in the summer just gone, and picked up some Rossi Scratchs' - Twin Tips :rofl: Hope to hit the parks hard this winter!

ss8_gohan - sorry to hear that (your a skier)

:D

i used to ski before i tried snowboarding, as nearly everyone who has tried snowboarding from skiing, i sold my skis and bought a board straight away :rofl:

twin tips, ie freestyle - sking owes its renewed (freestyle) interest to snowboarding, without snowboards you probably would still be on old straight skis, wearing fluro one peices :(