SAU Community

2002 Bnr34 Gt-R V-Spec Ii

Very nice mate! Looking forward to more updates :)

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Damn this thing is immaculate! If i ever go back down to VIC might have to take a photo or two of it!

Keep going with the build!

Thanks, I try to keep her clean.

I just hope that once I change all the piping in the engine bay back to standard that it will still have the same appeal, I guess the outside wont have changed, but the engine bay is a bit of a centre piece.

I have a few ideas on what I can do to jazz it up a bit, but we will see.

The parts are on the way from Japan now, so should be installed in the next two weeks.

Hey bud how's things, good too see ur taking awesome care of her!!

Not too sure bout spending all that money and changing it all back to stock though??

Each to there own I guess!

Still looks shit hot though,

I am jealous! Lol!

Hey bud how's things, good too see ur taking awesome care of her!!

Not too sure bout spending all that money and changing it all back to stock though??

Each to there own I guess!

Still looks shit hot though,

I am jealous! Lol!

Hi Collin,

Yes, taking good care of her.

Not really going back to 'stock' though, it will be purely from an appearance perspective, that's all.

All the good gear is staying on :yes:

Tomei exhaust manifolds

HKS 2530's

Trust Intercooler

Nismo dump pipes

etc

etc

Just want to reduce the induction noise and make it 'look' stock....."I swear it's stock officer" ;)

Just wish I paid the extra dollars and got the Z-Tune bonnet :wacko:

Do you have any parts left over lying around??

The exhaust is awesome,

It is really nice to drive as a daily, in traffic and on freeways with no drone.

However, when you open it up and give it hell it really roars and sounds very tuff.

Don't get me wrong, it is no where near as load as the Tomei, that thing was ridiculous loud!!

Let me see if I can get a video.

How are you finding your exhaust over your old titanium one? This would be much quieter I'd imagine. A video would be good for comparison :D

As promised, here are the videos.

Watch in 1080p so you get the best quality sound playback.

Slow drive off:

Full throttle 2nd through 3rd:

Good question Piggaz,

I have ummed and ahhhed about this for a few weeks now.

There is certainly a lot of data online that supports the modification, so yes, I probably should.

There is a lot of good conversation in this thread...

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/84482-testing-modified-twin-turbo-pipe.html

Also, these videos are really interesting as thet show, via use of coloured smoke, the change the modification made...

STOCK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAB7hkLDsiQ

MODIFIED:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=482_5BXoyIs

Good question Piggaz,

I have ummed and ahhhed about this for a few weeks now.

There is certainly a lot of data online that supports the modification, so yes, I probably should.

There is a lot of good conversation in this thread...

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/84482-testing-modified-twin-turbo-pipe.html

Also, these videos are really interesting as thet show, via use of coloured smoke, the change the modification made...

STOCK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAB7hkLDsiQ

MODIFIED:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=482_5BXoyIs

I did my own little back to back with Marko_R1 about 3 years ago on his RB30 with -10's. We went for a drive and a 4th gear pull up a hill down the road from my place it shuffled it's brains out. Put the pipe with the divider on the car and did the same drive. I reckon it was a 90% improvement. Funnily enough, I bought that pipe back off him and it's now on my car.

Definately a little cheeky mod to do, that doesn't cost much and does make a difference!

Well,

Most of my parts came in from Japan on Friday, I am just waiting on the airbox now, which is due Monday.

I gave all the parts a wash today and they are ready for instal.

It is surprising how much you need to convert back to factory induction...

20130921_171100_zps3eab30cb.jpg

Liking where this is heading and your commitment to fine tuning this build is commendable. There is nothing wrong with the factory system until big power is required.

Are you looking to keep to d-jetro for the retune? Or are you looking to change to another platform?

I also hope you have non stock afms for the swap otherwise you can expect your power to be capped at low 300kws.

Thanks Four - Twelve,

I think my age has something to do with it too :yes:

I used to love all the bling, blow off valve noise etc, but these days it is kinda been there done that, I am more happy trying to piece together something refined and subtle.

I have been talking to the team at Racepace and they have told me that all the stock items I am putting back on will be fine for even 400kw at the wheels.

I am going to keep the D-Jetro for the moment, so I have actually removed all the internals from the AFM's - they are just there to connect the factory airbox to the intake pipes....was cheaper than fabricating blanks or buying the HKS ones at $150+ a piece.

I am currently running a really safe (read - rich!!) track tune, so I am looking forward to going in a different direction.

I am going to run a second bleed valve and get the guys at Racepace to run a much more edgy street tune, around 21psi, for my daily needs, probably around 390 rwkw.

But then I will have a second bleed valve set up that I can switch over to for track days dropping boost down to around 18psi.

The drama I had last time on the dyno was boost creep was big, These HKS 2530's just keep making more and more boost, it is weird (dyno graphs below).

To get them where they are now (18psi) we had to have them initially coming on at around 15psi.

Anyway, next week will be interesting, we will see where it all goes.

Dyno01.jpg

Dyno02.jpg

Sounds like you have certainly been doing your research, and have this pretty well planned out.

The gutted afm will certainly not restrict your power levels like they otherwise would have. I've actually never heard of someone doing that (albeit not really researched), so I am curious how they will perform as compared to blanks.

I am actually in two minds about doing exactly what you are doing with my ride, so I will be following this thread to see how you R is coming along. The previous owner of my gtr annoyingly put an atm vented ssq bov where yours is currently, whilst tuning the car with L-jetro. This has obviously made it very difficult to tune and sometimes hunts idle and even stalls on stopping. I can either covert to map less (the more expensive option but allowing greater potential), or return the bovs to stock (cheaper but more limiting in the long run as I would still be running the factory afms). Still weighing up the pros and cons of each before I decide.

I am also impressed that you have decided to track this bad boy, and given the brakes and suspension upgrades, you'll finally be doing this car justice. It is interesting that you are choosing such high power for daily driving though - or at all on stock internals. I am no expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I have heard A LOT of people saying pushing power much past 350kw on a factory rb won't end well. That said, Racepace seem to have a very good reputation, so I am sure that they know what they are doing.

OK,

So all the factory parts are now installed and the car has had a run up on the dyno.

All went really well except for the long black plastic BOV return pipe, which was for a 32/33 so did not fit my 34.

No big issue for me, I am just venting the factory BOV's to atmosphere until I find a 34 return pipe.

Venting to atmosphere for me is no issue as I am not running AFM's - I am running the PFC D-Jetro.

But the gutted AFM's look good in place, I even hooked up the wiring and plugs so they look functional.

On the dyno we played around a little with ignition timing and boost and managed to give it a fairly decent kick in both power and torque through the mid range, which is where it needs it.

Top end it made an extra 10kw at the rear wheels (now 360rwkw), but it is the mid range that will make the biggest difference.

I will get some dyno graphs uploaded on Monday to show the before and after power and torque curves.

The good thing is that since my last dyno run I have changed exhaust systems (Tomei to HKS) and also put all thew factory intake back on and lost no power.

So thumbs up to the HKS exhaust, it is much quieter and was no compromise on power.

Here are a few engine bay photos...

20130928_092356_zps407520bb.jpg

20130928_092345_zpsf2643eff.jpg

20130928_092338_zps7249d6af.jpg