SAU Community

Carbon Bonnet

Hello all, i trust we all had a good weekend of skylining around :)

I just wanted to see if anyone had any problems with cops and a carbon bonnet?

and if anyone had problems with there insurance and a carbon bonnet?

Well i dont know if that is entirely true, i had herd that on cars pre 97 the bonnet is not considered a main part of the vehicle structure, or something along those lines, and can be changed to carbon

i have a carbon bonnet and haven't had any trouble with cops as yet....but im not sure on its legality. I suppose how much you get hassled will depend on how much attention your car draws from the cops and whether or not u cruise in a lot of "hot spots" at night. I only really drive my car on the track.

If you are going to paint it then why would you bother paying extra for a carbon bonnet when a complete fibreglass bonnet would be just as effective.

If you are going to paint it then why would you bother paying extra for a carbon bonnet when a complete fibreglass bonnet would be just as effective.

most rice boiz just want em for the fulee seek CF look bro

Another reason the CF bonnets are illegal (in WA anyway) is because of the rear facing vents in them. Can't have any rear facing vents in case of something going wrong under the bonnet and spraying crap all over the windscreen effectively blinding the driver.. Rex style forward facing scoops are ok though..

So painting them might not help ya much....

i reckon carbon fibre bonnets are sick as, lighter, better for letting heat out and looks tuff as, the was a few pics of a silver series 2 line on here with r34 GTT rims and it had a sick c/f bonnet with 3 outlets and one inlet and 2 clips in the middle, any one know what the brand and name of the bonnet would be and also the price? im thinking its a border(correct name??) bonnet.

:werd: what a waste of money to paint over that gorgeous black weave!! get a fibreglass one if you wanna save weight AND want to paint it etc.

The Nismo.com Bonnets are carbon top with fibreglass undernieth. I have their type 2 on mine. I don't believe they are strong enough for street use, you just have to lean on them and they crack, also they weigh 10Kg against the 18Kg of the stock bonnet.

My next bonnet will be from Custom Carbon in Bris. Carbon both sides of a sandwich of 6MM foam. Weight 4Kg and strong enough to stand on about $1600 with the vents I want....similar to my current one

But if you paint a fibreglass one it will look crap, would have to be very good quality not to have a bucket load of wasves in it. The carbon with clear coat seems to be a more even wrinkle free finish

The Nismo.com Bonnets are carbon top with fibreglass undernieth. I have their type 2 on mine. I don't believe they are strong enough for street use, you just have to lean on them and they crack, also they weigh 10Kg against the 18Kg of the stock bonnet.

My next bonnet will be from Custom Carbon in Bris. Carbon both sides of a sandwich of 6MM foam. Weight 4Kg and strong enough to stand on about $1600 with the vents I want....similar to my current one

Yeh ive heard they make good carbon bonnets, 4kg! thats insane, ide rather pay $1600 for a real CF bonnet