SAU Community

Heating Issues Need Help !

matt-turner

My series two stag has issues with over heating when I go for a drive along the high way all of a sudden

The first thing I've done to stop this happening is changed the coolant total forward flush then reverse flush and install a high flow thomostat. But goin for a drive this weekend the issue was still there !!! I'm in need of ideas what to try next I'm looking at a aluminum radiators with dual 12 inch fans. Has anyone done this mod and has it fitted when u remove the clutch fan ???? Please help thanks Matt

I installed a Fenix 42mm radiator thru SAU NSW. They are a well made generic looking radiator. There was some trimming of the shroud required. I would leave the clutch fan as it has been shown to be the best bet for controlling temperatures. The factory radiator is around 12mm thick so it is no wonder the car can overheat in Australia.

Thanks for the reply most of the radiators on eBay are around 52mm thick do u believe that more trimming would be required if it 40mm one needed it ? Do u think 52 mm is too thick ? Is the eBay ones any good there Around $300

I believe a stock twin core radiator with the stock fan and shroud is best. I am tracking my car with the original cooling system apart from an allegedly higher flowing thermostat and will be upgrading just to a thicker stock type radiator.

Alternatively you could just take it to a radiator shop to replace the top tank and properly clean out your core... reverse flushing won't always suffice.

Things to consider,

- How old is the car i.e. kms, the radiator could be blocked, they require the tanks taken off and rodded to clean properly.

- Do you know if it has been regualrly serviced, for fluids etc, lack of anti corrosive eats the aluminium core, inclding the heater core.

I would not change the standard fan, I have been building and racing drift cars since ages ago and they work the best especially with the standard fan shroud.

The core is uber thin on S2 stageas. In cold climates they would be adequate but in Australia they seem struggle. The 52mm one should be similar to install but bigger isn't always better so do some research before committing to buying one.

The cars just ticked over 90 thousand so not much at all. I regularly check fuilds and replace when nessersary I've done coolant twice now first time when I replaced the turbo to a hight flow item and second time was when the heating issues started. I just had a quick look at just japs web site the replacement drop in alloy radiator retains the fatory fan trim so I'm thinking they should be the best for a full replacement option.

Has anyone brought ebay ones ?

I went outside and measured the factory radiators side and it is 15mm

I have tracked the car before so I want the best for the car.

Thanks for the replys guys

Pretty close to nailing the cause right there in your last post Matt, & attribute what Wolverine added about Oz's higher temps into the mix(although Tassie doesn't get hot :whistling: ). Higher flowing turbo. Q: Did you have ANY cooling issues before you fitted you high flow? Higher boost generates higher intake & combustion temps, & if your cooling system isn't up to scratch then overheating occurs. Upgrade your radiator & also look at replace your viscous clutch hub (fan)(with a genuine item, as with my experience, cheaper generic ones are shit!-Do it right first time), as it's been working overtime it seems. Excess heat from the radiator hammering the hub seriously depletes the silicone core inside the hub.

i bought the justjap cooling pro one

flushed the system beforehand (old rad)

bolted the new one on

mustn't have flushed it well enough because all the loose scale from the motor blocked the alloy rad and made it overheat if i drove too long on the highway

it had just enough flow for daily driving but 100/110 it would slowly creep up (thank god i have an ecutalk display, the stock guage doesn't even move as you get near 110°c)

ended up replacing it with a brand new koyo stock replacement for $220 and its never missed a beat since

I actually ordered one of the 52MM alloy radiators from eBay on Thursday from seller asi_performance. It was $164.95 Delivered Buy it now from Melbourne. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow as my standard radiator is leaking.

It is a R33 item but they have been proven in the past to fit into C34 Stageas. I'm not sure if it will suit auto and manual vehicles or manual only but that didn't worry me as I am running a PWR transmission cooler.

I thought I might aswell upgrade at the same time as I want to start towing with the Stagea soon (hence the trans cooler). I willl be retaining standard clutch fan and shroud.

Will let you guys know how I get on when it's installed.

Chris.

I actually ordered one of the 52MM alloy radiators from eBay on Thursday from seller asi_performance. It was $164.95 Delivered Buy it now from Melbourne. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow as my standard radiator is leaking.

It is a R33 item but they have been proven in the past to fit into C34 Stageas. I'm not sure if it will suit auto and manual vehicles or manual only but that didn't worry me as I am running a PWR transmission cooler.

I thought I might aswell upgrade at the same time as I want to start towing with the Stagea soon (hence the trans cooler). I willl be retaining standard clutch fan and shroud.

Will let you guys know how I get on when it's installed.

Chris.

If its installed

Ok I purchased a cooling pro 40 mm triple core radiator from just jap and fitted it last night

Cooling system is a lot more efficient thermos took a lot longer time too come on lol had a look at the clutch fan and water pump while everything was off

Clutch fans fine but the water pump is leaking out of the hole in the bottom which means it is stuffed

Looks like a big job too replace

post-70873-0-96559800-1352596925_thumb.jpg

post-70873-0-49499700-1352596947_thumb.jpg

post-70873-0-52420000-1352596971_thumb.jpg

Yeah it's not too far away 10,000 kms or so ,

holidays coming up which means more traveling , Ill have too save for that !!!!,looks too be around the $500 mark for parts

When I first brought the car it had 65,000 km on the clock.

Are the eBay packs any good ?? Looks like the neo's water pumps a little bit different from the normally rb25