SAU Community

R32 Gtr Getting Ready For Wtac @ Tunehouse

JohnGTR

Hey guys once again I've been pretty slack and have not updated my build thread... ("Plan B" Another thread)

Been busy at work and trying to get the car ready...

John Boston will be doing a few sessions and I will be doing the rest... So the car will hopefully set some decent times and then ill have some fun!!

I will post up some more updates and photos over the next few days.

Edited by JohnGTR

• 2 weeks later...

Tunehouse have committed to assisting me to get te car ready and John Boston is helping with the setup so it has gone from a "Oh, Yeah lets just get the car out there and have some fun" to a "Let's try and get this sorted out properly" type attitide...

Still have a long todo list on the car... Here is what is happening:

- The fuel pump setup is being revised and we found that the foam in the tank was deteriorating (e85) and bloking one of the lift pumps. We also found the the primary (single) pump was locking up and failing. We had fuel pressure issues during the first test ewith the new box.

- After a weeks worth of emails and correspondents with the Precision Turbo guys I have ordered a new smaller turbo to try and give it a few more herbs down low. John Boston did not like the power out of the slower corners. The car made 500+ kw atw on low boost setting. Making power is not a problem !! The theory is, smaller turbo, faster spool, more power earlier in the rev range but then wind it up top and still make the power. We need more power to push the car through the air down the straight... 260 Km/h is not quick enough.

- Having a good close look over the Motec configs found some interesting settings which we need to sort out and a couple sensors are ot working properly.

- Need to secure front bumper and diffuser, dragging on the ground after 250 km/h and clean up aero.

These are the major things but I have a a lot of little things to sort out as well ...

I am hoping to merge this thread with my original thread (Plan B Track Toy) ...

Thanks Duncan, can you change the title to "R32 GTR getting ready for WTAC @ Tunehouse" ?

Actually John Boston never drove the car previously, he had a sister car which was well underdeveloped compared to this one. He drove it for the first time at SMP when we took it out for its first run with the Holinger...

Getting pretty eager to get it out there again !!

I know how a hub dyno works, you should be making peak torque at around 5000-5500rpm not 7500rpm. Something is causing you to lose a lot of mid range power?

PS. How do the RB20 Nics covers go with blow bye?

Why should you be making peak torque at 5000 - 5500rpm? I know this this would be better and we are looking to address this with a smaller turbo but the car just loves to make the power and torque up top with the current setup ...

RB30 covers seem to work fine and getting no blow by but do have a dry sump setup !!

It actually got tuned with e85, a bit more boost & timing all the usual stuff... Its not really being pushed but as per above posts its not making the power down low which is where its needed...see how we go with the new turbo!!

Edited by JohnGTR

Here is a video from the first test at SMP ... John Boston driving the car for the first time with the Holinger, this was his first lap at what he says was at 70%... We are trying to fastrack the development of the car and sort out all of the gremlins, having John help us with this is such a bonus...

Why should you be making peak torque at 5000 - 5500rpm? I know this this would be better and we are looking to address this with a smaller turbo but the car just loves to make the power and torque up top with the current setup ...

RB30 covers seem to work fine and getting no blow by but do have a dry sump setup !!

On a engine like yours torque should peak around when full boost is first reached and then hold (maybe trailing off a little) until redline. The torque/power graph posted looked like boost was creeping throughout the the range... Have you got a boost plot?

Also they are RB20 NICS covers... RB30s are single cam engines

On a engine like yours torque should peak around when full boost is first reached and then hold (maybe trailing off a little) until redline. The torque/power graph posted looked like boost was creeping throughout the the range... Have you got a boost plot?

Also they are RB20 NICS covers... RB30s are single cam engines

Correct... We will be looking at the wastegate spring and boost control to try sort this out ...

What new precision turbo will you now use to get power on sooner?

A smaller one than the 6768... Is that a good enough answer?

I've been in contact with the Precision guys and they made a recommendation but we have gone for a slightly different one and we've ordered it with two different exhaust housings so that we can play on the dyno.

Well actually no, as it didn't answer the question. But wish you well.

A smaller one than the 6768... Is that a good enough answer?

I've been in contact with the Precision guys and they made a recommendation but we have gone for a slightly different one and we've ordered it with two different exhaust housings so that we can play on the dyno.

Well actually no, as it wasn't an answer. But wish you well.