No Wonder Women Don't Get Into Gym...

JEPPE

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only thing stopping these people from achieving what they desire is ignorance - and if they aren't ignorant and realise what needs to be done, sheer laziness.

Mostly ignorance.

Which isn't their fault at all, they just need to be educated (girls not wanting to get heaps muscly is an absolute prime example).

The only thing stopping these people from achieving what they desire is ignorance - and if they aren't ignorant and realise what needs to be done, sheer laziness.

Mostly ignorance.

Which isn't their fault at all, they just need to be educated (girls not wanting to get heaps muscly is an absolute prime example).

I believe we have something to reform the high school PE curriculum with. Brought to you by SAU!

I would have thought that any PT introduce herself/himself and then ask each attendee to spend 1 minute to cite his/her name, motivation & recent history including fitness - but also illness (with current meds).

After all, before you start CPR don't you firstly clear the area of danger and check the airway?

I believe that before starting any programme, one should adhere to that old adage, "Firstly, do no harm!"

Next, continuity, sustainability and perseverance are quite simple if one gets the overall concept right!

The titles "fitness" or "exercise" are considered by myself as being subheadings - not main headings are they're used to-day.

Physical Activity = Mental Stimulation/Fun + Exercise

If one only focuses on the physical without the mental, the whole process becomes too tedious - and thus, boring!

That's why women can walk for ages so long as they have a walking (ie talking) partner or iPod.

Try a crosstrainer machine without a tv or iPod.

Try step exercise classes without music.

Even cycling at home on a machine is more fun doing it in front of Law&Order etc

Weight loss or fitness alone are not enough to prompt perseverance and sustainability in my clinic patients. The Activity needs a mental/fun approach as well as the physical. That's why I love sport.

My 2c

If one can maintain motivation long enough to see some of the results they want, the motivation usually stays for good...thus people like Trozzle and I won't be ditching exercise anytime soon.

Trouble is, it can take months before any noticeable visual changes come about, which is another reason why so many give up on it. This is why, rather than physical appearance or weight goals, I think it's good to start someone off with lifting or (in the case of cardio) time goals - the improvements are almost immediate - the client can see that progress is being made, even if they can't see it in the mirror. In time comes the weight loss or body shape and with that comes more motivation. Everyone is different though. Some people can't be helped until they truly want to do something about it - difference between wanting and needing success.

Almost an insult to the hard work we put in, isn't it?! To think you might accidentally gain a boatload of muscle overnight!!!

If one can maintain motivation long enough to see some of the results they want, the motivation usually stays for good...thus people like Trozzle and I won't be ditching exercise anytime soon.

Trouble is, it can take months before any noticeable visual changes come about, which is another reason why so many give up on it. This is why, rather than physical appearance or weight goals, I think it's good to start someone off with lifting or (in the case of cardio) time goals - the improvements are almost immediate - the client can see that progress is being made, even if they can't see it in the mirror. In time comes the weight loss or body shape and with that comes more motivation. Everyone is different though. Some people can't be helped until they truly want to do something about it - difference between wanting and needing success.

Almost an insult to the hard work we put in, isn't it?! To think you might accidentally gain a boatload of muscle overnight!!!

hahaha yeah it's like BITCH PLEASE YOU WON'T GET BIG LIFTING A 6kg DUMBBELL WHEN IT'S TAKEN ME MONTHS AND MONTHS TO GET TO HOW I LOOK LIFTING 40s!!!

I think the misinformation that leads these people to expect results within a few weeks is perpetuated by the media and gyms/fitness equipment manufacturers looking to make a quick buck with lines such as "Summer's just around the corner" when it's in a mere 6 weeks by this stage. THE f**k YOU GONNA DO IN 6 WEEKS? Would have more chance getting into "shape" if you just stopped eating.

Terry - I do agree with you, infinitely. I'm a sports kind of person and i actually used to hate anything to do with weights or the gym - thought it was stupid. But now that I've actually started going, I can see/feel the progress and it's motivating me to continue. Having said that, I don't think I could do any treadmill work without there being TV on the thing, I would fall off from boredom - which brings me back to why I love sports, because I can play with friends and be fit at the same time. But sports themselves won't give me muscles! So I do them together, and see both improve!

Troy, Birds - totally agree. Once I'd started to lift and learn more about it, I started educating my missus too and now she lifts (a little) at home, with dumbbells! Will slowly get her to move up....

or.. go to a different gym

Know of any? I need one within 15 minutes of me and I live in Shoreham. You probably don't know where that is, hence why this is the /only/ gym in my radius.

We weren't attacking people with chronic illness. It is just a sad fact that many people are quick to adopt the "exercise doesn't work for me" mantra, when it's the way they go about it that is letting them down. I wasted my younger years on shitty methods - wish I knew then what I know now. Give most people a decent program / instructor / motivation and watch miracles happen!

I know you weren't attacking anyone of course, but you certainly didn't voice the fact that some people could have ligitimate reasons that they didn't even know about. That's all I'm saying.

Fark if I had to account for every scenario when I'm making complaint about a particular scenario, my posts would be even more tl;dr.

'Every scenario' is a bit dramatic. A simple 'generally' or 'in most circumstances' or 'there are exceptions' or something else very simple and easy would suffice. I don't mind expanding on your posts to confirm this if you would prefer not to do the above, but please don't get smart when I do, just trying to understand. Anyway this is completely off topic, continue.

Yep. And people look at the number on the scales and judge. Body recomp is the best. But like said, people just don't have the right knowledge about it due to the perception of heavy weight = steroided body builder woman.

Have a female friend that has lost 2 sizes and gained 6kg. Heavy weight sessions only, 3 months. Scales are a number.

It's gotta be sustainable as well. Eating lettuce isn't going to last long for most.