SAU Community

Defected - Still Want Turbo Sound Though

hop1308

ill confirm it for you, im 100% on this, i looked into it a fair bit. it has to be completely enclosed to avoid a fire hazard because the pod filter is made of paper after all. to avoid the paper catching on fire it needs to be completely enclosed.

i really dont get the point of those half assed covers on justjap and ebay that only cover the top of it.

so does this mean if you have the stock air setup with a metal intake pipe, the induction sound will remain?

dammit. ok , so any links to fully enclosed boxes for pods as I want to retain the bov sound

thing is, if you do get a legal fully enclosed pod filter cover, there probably wont be any sound, similarly to the stock airbox.

ahh im going crazy without the sound, contemplating pulling one of the pipes off the BOV valve off, to get a bit of a flutter :P

thing is, if you do get a legal fully enclosed pod filter cover, there probably wont be any sound, similarly to the stock airbox.

ahh im going crazy without the sound, contemplating pulling one of the pipes off the BOV valve off, to get a bit of a flutter :P

Hmm... well next thing is...how knowledgeable is the average cop on the legality of a fully enclosed box?

If they just see a cover over it (that they cant remove at the time) are they likely to look beneath it or even know that its supposed to legally be fully enclosed?

ill confirm it for you, im 100% on this, i looked into it a fair bit. it has to be completely enclosed to avoid a fire hazard because the pod filter is made of paper after all. to avoid the paper catching on fire it needs to be completely enclosed.

i really dont get the point of those half assed covers on justjap and ebay that only cover the top of it.

so does this mean if you have the stock air setup with a metal intake pipe, the induction sound will remain?

Not all states have exposed pods as illegal. Qld doesn't (just has to be secured with a bracket). So enclosures like the just jap one work well as heat Shields, which is the point of them. A pod in a fully enclosed box often won't flow any better than a decent panel filter in the stock box.

Pods don't need to be boxed in the ACT either, just secured.

Pods in the engine bay are sucking hot/warm air unless shielded.

Noisey Bovs are noisey due to turbulence, therefore not moving the air as efficiently as they could.

Personally, I would rather a stock box knowing the air is as cool as it can be and a plumb back Bov that's quiet is doing it's job well.

Function over fashion.

The stock bov makes a fair bit of noise when it isn't muffled by the airbox. Pull the snorkel off the stock box and you will hear the stock bov a bit. It isn't louder because it is more turbulent, simply less muffled. The same goes with having the stock bov and a pod. I made an alloy heatshield for my pod and all the intake and bov noises got louder because it acted like an echo chamber.

As for air temp, a decent intercooler will negate the higher air temp to a certain extent. And then there is the argument of air temp vs air volume. If you are at a power level where the airbox is becoming a restriction, an exposed pod will work better than an airbox. Obviously the colder the air, the better, but it has to be within reason.

well with laws and performance partially aside. is there any way to get the best of both worlds. which is having sound as well as having a stock looking air system. removing the snorkle alone didn't increase the sound noticeably.

I had no way to fit a stock air box on my set up... So pods were the only option. I will be getting these boxed, More so a cover for the top & sides and a Cold air intake feeding from the pods from the bottom of the box

Just move to QLD or ACT=Profit.

lol , yes pack up and move purely for the bov sound...

just get the cover man..

check my other thread

as long as your car isnt to loud , its isnt ridiculously low and you arnt driving like a total d*ck , you should be ok 99% of the time

at the end of the day you drive a skyline and if a HWP wants to defect you , he will.

okay, so i've finally gone crazy without hearing my turbo for way too long.

I've decided to make a box to hold the pod filter in, there are heaps of images and threads on this everywhere, but i've got one main question.

if i did make a box to hold the pod filter in, would this box muffle most of the blow off sound that came from the pod filter?

and what material/metal is best to allow most of the sound to be heard?

wish i could just make one outta aluminium foil :P.

anyone have any recomendations on types of material to use, e.g which metal? something thats not too hard to get, not too expensive, yet is thin?