SAU Community

M35 Tps Troubleshooting

stealth01

My Stagea has a random TPS error that triggers limp mode and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with regards to troubleshooting the problem. This is my first fly by wire car, so TPS issues like this I am foreign to.

From what I understand the M35 Service Manual isn't available in English but the V35/G35 manual is a good reference for this sort of problem.

Best idea would be to try to borrow a working unit from someone, and try that out. If that works, grab one from the wreckers off a V35 / Z33. I think they are the same. But watch out for any unit that has a hole drilled in the plate.

I don't think there are any replaceable parts within the unit itself. But someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I tried to rip a throttle unit apart to clean the TPS carbon tracks but i'm fairly sure it failed. They are definitely not a serviceable part.

Seeing Nissan want $1800 for a new throttle unit and these are failing like hotcakes I would grab any second hand VQ throttle you can get. A 350z/V35 one will fit, I am running a VQ25DD throttle at the moment due to the same fault.

If you need a hand with clearing the codes, resetting the idle or changing the throttle over, a quick search and you will find the information on here. Otherwise PM me if you need someone to do the work for you.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll try source a VQ throttle and give it a go. $1800 seems abit steep lol, a quick search on Ebay and I've found a "New * GENUINE * Nissan 350Z Maxima Throttle Body" with TPS sensor for sub $250

Edited by stealth01

Thanks for your help guys, I'll try source a VQ throttle and give it a go. $1800 seems abit steep lol, a quick search on Ebay and I've found a "New * GENUINE * Nissan 350Z Maxima Throttle Body" with TPS sensor for sub $250

Post up a link to seller, or is it just a single unit?

Yes, whilst I didn't have a Z33 TB, my old VQ25det Stagea had a V35 (VQ35de) throttle body on it without issue.

So between Scott and I, that would mean that 350z, M35 and V35 throttle bodies all fit.

Prossibly J31 Maxima as well although I have not tested this.

What does the seller mean when he says "For your peace of mind this part comes with a 12 month manufacturers warranty at least."

...at least?

I reckon he's bought heaps of these at a clearance sale & will swap any faulty ones for as long as he still has stock.

Just to add to this, it seems that when it goes into limp mode, I can turn the car off, tap the pedal input sensor on the pedal afew times, start it up and its fine...

Is the pedal input sensor as interchangeable as the TB seems to be?

From what I understand the M35 Service Manual isn't available in English but the V35/G35 manual is a good reference for this sort of problem.

Jap manual is on here if you want it, can be good for pics and some use with googly translate.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/341609-stagea-workshop-manual/page__hl__manual__st__20