SAU Community

Racv Insurance - Full Of Crap

Hi Guys

Just a little info about people insuring their V35 with RACV

I had someone broken into my car , smashing the rear window at end of nov 2012. Call RACV and they towed away the vehicle same day.

Nice lady called and said vehicle has been towed to Vidotto, then oopps the garage said car too complicated they cant work on that, then called few days later saying , nope same garage will try fix it i will have to pay excess 550$ , fair enough

Its now end of Jan 2013 and still chasing whats going on with mycar.

Same damn crap response, sorry, the fact your car is an import we are still sourcing the parts blablabla. And its not our fault cause you have an import car , but im also paying FCking $ for that so i expect a service. why the hell then do i pay?

I explained in the meantime im paying 100$ per month and how long should i wait and at least should have an idea or date, nope, bad luck you will have to wait.

So for all you guys insuring with RACV a lesson for you, make sure you have loads of patience and a spare vehicle in case you have an accident or incident as insurance is just a loads of BS.

Edited by fred73

What have you done to help the situation?

I understand your frustration but this is the realities of driving a rare car - parts are harder to come by and especially when you're relying on others to fund them for you.

RACV will replace parts with second hand parts if none are available new.

If you'd done your research you would have seen the rear windscreen that has been on eBay for a few months, paid for it to be shipped and fitted in a matter of days for not much more than your excess - and protected your rating.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-NISSAN-SKYLINE-V35-COUPE-REAR-WINDSCREEN-GLASS-/170919028906?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cb9168aa&_uhb=1#ht_1870wt_363

Welcome to the world of insurance repairs on imports....

ur case looks better than mine, try waiting 7 months and still paying full insurance the whole time the car was off the road.

^^ further to the Smokey, did they steal many things or are there other things that are covered by insurance too? What I am getting at, is that if their cost to repair/replace what was lost is not a whole lot more than $550, then you are pretty insane for claiming in the first place, as you will now suffer higher insurance premiums for many years into the future due to having a claim on your record (despite the fact it is clearly not your fault).

Sure, it sounds like your situation sucks, but you always have the option of finding your own parts and somewhat helping your situation yourself, as mentioned above.

Thats not quite true, rear windscreens on imports are not made new anywhere on the planet, you can order them new from the dealer only if they still produce the car which will take up to 3 months to arrive or call a jap wrecker and most windscreens for imports cost the $1000 mark. Fitting is cheap so if you found one on ebay for $500 thats really a steal.

Would you not have had the option for sending it to your choice of repairers or is that not in your policy?

As frustrating as it is, having a go at them is not really the best way to go about it, its not going to get your car fixed any quicker.

10 days was all it took to source a drivers side window, have it shipped over from WA and have it fitted way under the cost of excess when i had my car broken into.

Anyway good luck hope you get your car back soon enough!

Hi Guys

Thanks for you input :), i would have fixed it myself but forget to mention that they smash the window with a huge stone so breaking quite few stuff along the way and also the panel got scratch a bit.

So chosing to do it myself will be well over 1500$ at least i reckon, I didnt ask about chosing my own repairer else for sure it would have been quicker.

i talked to the repairer and asked while waiting for parts to come in, why not respray the car and but said no, windscreen has to be fixed and then electronics then paint

so looks like im for a long ride :)

post-90291-0-19835200-1359429853_thumb.jpg

post-90291-0-66220200-1359429870_thumb.jpg

...paid for it to be shipped and fitted in a matter of days for not much more than your excess - and protected your rating...

if you hadnt donated your hard earned money to insurance scum, you couldve fixed the car and still had money spare.

a rating means absolute f**k all when all they do is avoid paying any money back

But RACV confirmed it wont affect my A ratings as i wasnt at fault. Its just the long wait and also the lack of customer service and same shit response that annoys me.

If they would call to explain that it may take longer to source parts, totally understand. But they dont give a damn fck and just say, your car is an import so fcking wait.

And when i asked to make a small gesture towards the excess of $550 as while im waiting for them to source parts etc im paying them 100$ per month, they politely said go get Fck :)

I guess next time i will claim for my money

If you can get receipts for any parts that you source, they should be able to reimburse you.

Considering that you've been waiting a while, just say that you found a windsheild, can you reimburse me the $?

I tried but RACV only accept their repairer an i called them to say its 400$ on ebay but would only get spare parts where RACv has specified. so lets wait and see

I don't what understand what they meant by saying you have to wait while they try and source a new rear windscreen. When windscreens are replaced through insurance they are custom made by National Windscreens and turnaround would be only a week max. No insurer would source a brand new OEM one from Nissan, unless your car is brand new off the showroom when you claim.

My car had a full respray last year through insurance (JustCar) and the panel shop cracked the front windscreen while removing it. It was replaced with a new one after the respray was done but it wasn't glued properly, so they replaced it for the 2nd time. Both windscreens turnaround time was only a few days.

After the claim I ditched Justcar and went with RACV.. didn't know they are just as bad.

I was with Just car too. i had a toyota MR2 spyder , it got written off then i bought the V35 and thought why the fck was i driving a toyota lol.

The first day RACV was brilliant but after picking the car not a single calls to say we will take a bit longer to fixed it, as its an import car. The bitch i talked to, keep saying RACV is not doing anything wrong as if i shouldnt have bought an import car .

Im paying for a service and giving me the heads up would be at least something to do. SHe said ,we leave it to the repairer to do that , why the fck do i inusre my car with you then.

Maybe the fact we have import cars, they dont really put extra effort for us, but in terms of customer service also they havent impress me, i tried to negotiate the excess with them but same old response , RACV dont see why we should do that, bitch cause you are fooling me around and in the meantime im paying good money and no service

FInd out yesterday that the actual repairer will only fix my rear window and then i have to get car re spray etc

It sucks we dont have many options in terms of insurance.

Alvin, just out of curiosity how do you manage to get a full respray through insurance? I've heard of people doing it but i can't work out how you could claim it unless someone has keyed every panel of your car or something of the sort?

• 1 month later...

Whereabouts do you live? My bro has had some bad luck with his 250GT, but the reason we are still insured with RACV is because our preferred panel beater is RACV approved. Longest we had to wait for parts was 3 weeks, and that was a new door.

This is very very unlucky.... i hope it gets sorted soon.

Alvin, just out of curiosity how do you manage to get a full respray through insurance? I've heard of people doing it but i can't work out how you could claim it unless someone has keyed every panel of your car or something of the sort?

I got a full respray of my car when it got damaged as it has a CF bonnet and a custom colour and i said that due to the cf being damaged the sun would ruin it so it needs a spray. Then i went around to multiple shops who said sorry the paint is too hard to match. From there i just said well ive been to every painter around they can't match it and i got the go ahead to do a full respray. Sad thing is they ended up matching it almost 100%

• 1 month later...

Yeap my car was keyed on every panel.. It actually NEEDED a full respray. :)