SAU Community

Pullup Challenge

rev210

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly the same as mine.

PS - while doing cuban press to fix my right shoulder, I've hurt my left one.

The failure is strong.

Funny you say this, cause my left shoulder is also injured (though I can tell it's just muscular and temporary), most likely from taking up any slack of my right shoulder during exercise

Turning into you...must be all these squats I'm doing.

It didn't hurt during pullups or pulldown, only after the gym during resting state (not a terrible pain either, just one of thiose annoying twinges that hangs about), which made it difficult to diagnose what exercise was responsible. I took a week off gym to give it some recovery time and that seemed to do good for it, because I have no pain after a workout now...shoulder still clicks/creaks a bit with certain movements though.

If it helps with diagnosis, I tried the Cuban press exercise you two recommended and during the rotation movement (after the upright row) is where the shoulder ratchets/cracks. It used to hurt a tad doing this, but now it just cracks.

Re: boxing, I definitely had some sort of injury from it...woke up after a heavy bag session with what I thought was a small muscle tear (felt like it was in the bicep), which I ignored, but I'm fairly certain it has evolved into this. Probably the farking hook punches.

the problem with the rotator is that the pain is 'reffered' . Sometimes you won't feel the damage being/done at all. The inflamation has the result of reducing the ROM that might otherwise cause some pain. You get hurt more when weights reach a point of forcing a 'dynamic stretch' beyond that restricted ROM. You can do a few things to check it. If you have this reduction in ROM , treat it as serious as if you have screaming pain and do the rehab to restore it to normal first. No pressing at all. May get fixed in as little as a few days.

• Forward elevation. The motion involved in

reaching forward and up to a cupboard above the head. This is measured

from zero (lowest) to 180 degrees. . Do you rotate your rib cage to get to this position? If yes then you need some scapular ROM improvement too.

• Internal rotation. rotate

arm across back and walk the fingers as far up the back as

possible, Even try reaching over your back with the other arm. See if you can touch hands. If you have issues this may only be a sacral level on your back (if you can't get closer than the width of your hand then you suck at it). Compare the internal rotation of the injured side with the normal side.

• External rotation. keep

the upper arms flat against sides and rotate the forearms

outward. The range is from zero (straight ahead) to 90 degrees.

• The lift-off test. This tests the subscapularis. With the arm behind the back, make a fist with thumb pointing backwards, lift his hand off your back.

Appart from restricted ROM, that clicking (even on Cubans) you need to get motor control back into that shoulder. the muscles need to re-learn the sequence. I mentioned it before around the feedback. If you get no clicking doing the movement without a bar or weights then stick to that and go to fatigue and gradually train up in load.

Edited by rev210

People got one day left to step up.

Are we going to see a rush of vids tomorrow? Remember your form. Post early so you have a chance to re-do if needed.

Who will decide the next challenge?

Edited by rev210

I think these might be too slow..

Perhaps we should just set out a bunch of challenges that anyone can attempt at any time as part of their gym session.

squats for reps

bench for reps

deads (already done)

pullups

OH press

Tabata thrusters for the cardio kings

100m sprint?

rowing?

edit - create a thread for each and people can update each when they attempt it... only video entries count.

if you did 25 reps of OH press but didn't video it, then don't post.

thoughts?

Edited by TTT

Dunno, I like the way we've been doing it...I just think people are scared of pullups. Willing to bet bench will be much more popular.

Deadlifts got a good response, maybe because it was novelty but guess we'll see.

A week is too long

A month is absurd

Really? I don't think it's the time frame being too long, so much as there are only going to be a certain number of people participating. I think less people will participate ,with less than a week.

I quite liked the deadlift one going for a month, I don't think I would have put in the effort to improve otherwise.

I think the buy in for something like bench press is going to be more popular.

TTT's idea is good except I think each one should start from the rolling challenges we are doing. We have a deadlift 1.5x and a dead hang pullup. Could have a thread for each now. As winners pick new ones then they become a place for people to post progress? For the Competitive crowd maybe a leaderboard can be in there.

lol thanks Rev...I'll talk wih SRS13 about the next challenge cause I do believe in draws. Just pissy that my shoulder prevented another attempt at this :(