SAU Community

What Type Of Turbo Do You Have In Your Stagea?

Brotato

Searched the topics, nothing came up but just wondering what type of turbo do you have in your car? Stock? Thinking about getting a new turbo for car, also wondering what the standard turbo comes with the series 2 stagea?

Many thanks for your time,

Happy lunar new year to you all :)

Standard turbo on the stagea series 2 is the R34 Neo turbo which is slightly bigger than the r33 turbo. It has the OP6 rear housing which is bigger then that of the r33 turbo. The easiest route to go down is to get your standard turbo highflowed by GCG or Hypergear. That way all the standard lines remain the same and it bolts up just the same as a standard turbo and the internals of the turbo are bigger and you get steel wheels which can hold more boost safely. Stock turbo is only good up until around 12psi. Any more and it will get too hot and potentially shagg out.

Do some searching - there are heaps of threads on this. Best bang for buck something like Hypergear. If you get a big enough turbo you are going to need thousands of $$$ supporting gear and then better brakes, suspension etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, M35.

Turbo's fail from oil supply issues and heat/tune issues. Which one caused yours to blow Damo? Blaming GCG won't help anyone, if they had done a poor job you would have known about it in the first week.

GCG seem to have a bit of a rep for building incredibly noisy BB core turbos, and then showing very little interest when customers start asking questions.

I spoke with them when looking around for a supplier for my highflow, I was not impressed at all. Super vague; they just wanted me to throw money at them, stop asking questions and get off the phone.

A friend who is building a massive dollar 351 XB Falcon TT engine for his ex Street Machine cover car was prepared to spend $10000+ for the right turbos, manifolds & supporting parts; they wouldn't even give him the time of day.

I don't understand them at all.

John at Precision Turbochargers (Wetherill Park) spoke to me for over an hour on the phone; then invited me to his workshop for an extended chat and actually showed me a M35 turbo that he was building. He then told me what he wished the customer would let him build then asked if he could build it for me.

I agreed and he was awesome.

I rang him after I had run the 13.8 at EC; told him, and he was absolutely over the moon! He was stoked that I'd taken the time to ring him back, but was really happy that his opinion on the specs of the turbo had turned out to be right.

I agree, but very few turbo builders will show interest once the turbo is shot. John and Stao are the only ones it seems that are genuinely interested and willing to go out of their way for the customer.

After seeing the crap built up in some of these engines, I can imagine the ease of which a small piece of crud could enter the restrictor and limit oil to the core. (which is why I used a small inline oil filter on my Garrett.) Most noisy turbo's would be caused by this lack of oil imo, only ball bearing cores are susceptible as bush ones require larger flows (bigger/no restrictor, more chance of the crud making it through the turbo.)

Bang on Scotty, most honest turbo builders acknowledge that if you're putting a brand new BB core on an old engine; it can very easily fail due to oil contamination.

Given the access issues with our set up; where do you have the filter? Is it straight out of the feed port on the block?

I have an open banjo on the block with a 3an fitting into braided teflon hose, the filter is then inline before 2 x 90 degree bends into the turbo, no restrictors as Garrett turbo's usually have a perfectly sized restrictor built in.

I can't get to it, but I don't seem to have to, it was clean when I swapped to the GTX3076 from the 71.

ATS Adelaide turbo services highflowed mine.

Stock nissan V45 front compressor housing, ported out to the max.

Garrett gt30 ball bearing core, internal wastegate

Avo .73ar skyline exhaust housing

Very happy with it. Owned for a few years now too. Was nice at 250kw at 16psi with leaking rings, now forged motor but not power tuned yet. Expecting at least +270kw on around 18psi.