SAU Community

Looks Like Garrett Slipped Another Gtx30 Variant In .

Talk so far with has only been about the 0.63AR IWG Garrett housing, so I'm assuming that will be the one, but I should double check. Fuel will be pump 98.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't quite excited about it. Not only my first major mod, but also something a bit different from the norm. Hopefully it comes up with the goods.

Fitting one of those should be easier than all the other Garrett GT30 offerings because they use a smaller diameter compressor housing and a smaller inlet boss .

You maybe doing this at the right time because GCG tells me that Garrett are keen to ditch their GT30/35 IW turbine housings , and the plain type four bolt outlet types may all be going V band outlet .

I would go the 0.63 AR housing too on a GTX3067R because that's what Garrett generally offers standard . I would however ask for the big flap valve version if they aren't all like that now .

I'm also keen to hear the results of your conversion , going GT30 takes a bit of effort but once done any future turbo upgrades are much easier .

Hoping you''ll be impressed , cheers Adrian .

I've read about this big flap version of the housing elsewhere on here. Something about a -M on the part number or something, but everywhere else I've looked on the web I haven't been able to find any reference to it. Was starting to wonder if Garrett have just started offering the big wastegate flap version as standard.

I'll post full specs when I get the dyno plot to put up.

More reasonably recent threads are popping up involving the GTX3067R . There's an ongoing one at NASIOC where STi people are testing them and comparing them to GT3076Rs and GTX3071Rs . Some claim the 10 blade X67 wheel has better aero than the 11 blade vesrions , first I've heard of that .

Some are considering trying them with 0.82AR housings though most suspect more lag for small gain up high . Tial V Band housings are popular in the States and some opt for the 0.63AR ones with external gates .

Some numbers mentioned are 375 wheel Hp on their pump 93 PULP and again a bit over 400 on E85 . They get excited at full boost ~ 3000 revs and with limited tuning not so much at what goes on much over 6000 revs . Not saying they hit a wall just that they probably fall off in the 6-7 area .

The one that current uses love is the rapid boost transients and one feller who wanted an EFR 6758 reckoned basically why bother .

Good to see more interest in this turbo because for a truly light to moderate tune car it's looking like the tits so far .

Damn I wish these were out back in my FJ20 days .

A .

I think you would be the only person on this forum to use the words light and moderate in a sentence with the word TUNE.

The rest of us want to go fast, very f**king fast.

• Like 3

Indeed. Though in fairness while I would pick a different turbo for my needs, my little crystal ball suggests that a GTX3067R on stock manifolds and engine on E85 would make a pretty impressively quick all around usable car.

Quantify light moderate - meaning effort and expense too .

Reasonably straightforward with sub systems not overkilled to the 500 Kw degree .

For example don't need the antics of 20a current draw fuel pumps and 2000cc injectors swirl pots etc .

Don't need 3.5 to 4" booming exhausts or an intercooler that's looks like the car was bolted to it not the other way around . Or a hole saw .

To me light moderate means something that's very easy to live with on a daily basis , that anyone can get in and drive round town feeling fine . Not to say it can't have great squirt and scare people it they boot it but you can have both worlds IMO .

Hard arse means choppy cams and solid face clutches , turbos that do f**k all under 4000 revs .

Everyone seems to peg Mick Os Skyline as a benchmark , it could have run any of the GT30 turbos . Would have been smooth and flexible to drive around town and all that'd differ is the boost threshold and the numbers . I think the dryer he chose took most standard and light/moderate tune bits fairly close to their perceived limits and I congratulate him for a great result too .

However , for someone who wanted performance they could use all day every day and occasionally cruise down the expressways at 110 a 3067 could do it for them too .

This is not to put down a GTX3071Rs abilities it's just saying in round town use the 3067 is possibly a better all rounder .

A .

Talk so far with has only been about the 0.63AR IWG Garrett housing, so I'm assuming that will be the one, but I should double check. Fuel will be pump 98.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't quite excited about it. Not only my first major mod, but also something a bit different from the norm. Hopefully it comes up with the goods.

Hi sir, any progress? Keep us up to date, there are probably a few people quietly intrigued to see how this comes out :D

Hasn't been much to report as of yet unfortunately. Apparently were some issues sourcing turbine housing, but turned up yesterday.

I'm super keen to see how it goes as well. I promise I'll put up results for review even if it turns out crap.

Cool, man - it's the internally gated Garrett housing? What boost control etc are you running? May need a good electronic setup to make it come on hard etc.

Good luck :)

Yep should be the 0.63 Garret housing. Asked for confirmation on that, but didn't hear back as yet...

Have a Greddy Profec OLED controller going in. Hoping that will do the trick.

Brief update. Parts have all just about arrived and Galvsport are looking to start install on Monday.

Parts invoice says it's the 0.82 housing though, which surprised me. At least it's the genuine Garrett one.

I agree. Will talk to Galvsport about it, as he mentioned some issue about getting the right housing for this turbo hence the delay in starting the install. I'm not clear on what the issue was though.

0.82 rear should be fine. It will help the turbine breathe nicely in the top end, and hold off the det a little longer. 0.63 might still be a little small imo. If only there was a 0.73 option... Perhaps Kando do one?

So is it internal gate?

Bugger. I don't think being 0.82 will be a failure at all, especially given it will be run on pump gas - though not necessarily my first recommendation for someone aiming for the old GTRS type response territory. As mentioned by Scotty it will have its advantages in terms of not choking the motor, it may prove surprising in terms of power and really I still expect response to be pretty impressive... Just not quite as aggressive as it could have been.

Let us know how you get on

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk