SAU Community

Insight Motorsport

RiseofBrutality

Hi Guys,

My new turbo is going to into my R34 GTT soon and so a retune is in order

After a talk with my mechanic and him talking to Insight, my car is due to go on the dyno in 2-3 weeks

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had their car tuned there and what was your experience with them?

How was the staff? How did your car run afterwards?

Thanks in advanced

I and a couple of other members on NSCC have had there cars tuned by Scott at Insight. He did an awsome job on my car and sorted a few issues that were not picked up by my previous tuner.

His Dyno cell is a work of art in technology.

You will be pleased with the result

• 3 weeks later...

So the car got dropped off on tuesday morning and I picked it up around midday wednesday after the cold start tune

Car made 220kw on 16psi, Maxed injectors and AFM

I am loving the car, a lot more low end torque, boost is holding throughout the revs.

They also fixed an idling issue I was also having.

The guys at Insight were great to talk to, had a lengthly discussion on options for the car down the track

I am very pleased with the outcome

DVnSFhA.jpg

Just that the injectors and AFM were maxed.

Ill put 1000cc injectors and I'll need to change the ECU, thinking Haltech

Also a problem with the VCT which ill make sure is fixed before the next tune

Had to weld a new bracket for the wastegate as the one on the turbo wasnt strong enough to hold boost

That seems ridiculously laggy for the power output, GTRS especially. Did they say you had to address anything after the tune?

There are afew possible reasons that could have caused this, that R.o.B. hasn't mentioned, in terms of the extent of modifications........

There are afew possible reasons that could have caused this, that R.o.B. hasn't mentioned, in terms of the extent of modifications........

Hpi turbo to cat downpipe

Hks exhaust

Hks mushroom filter

R33 GTR Intercooler

Apexi PowerFc

Bosch 044 fuel pump

HKS GTRS Turbo

Turbosmart Wastegate

Greddy Profec B II boost controller

As an engine builder myself, having the right tune for start up (Standard - Standard Factory tune is sufficient.......Modified with Nistune or aftermarket ECU - for anything out of the norm, besides a test start up,dyno is recommended!) after a rebuild is critical. A handful of engine rebuilders I know (which includes touring car/race car engineers) will only warrant (high performance street) engines tuned by Scott at Insight Motorsport!

As a racer for years, both drag & rally, Scott's tuned some of the best. I've pulled up at his workshop & heard something on the dyno before I get out of my car, only to find Scott tuning something like Glenn Seton's old Peter Jackson Ford Sierra RS500 Touring car or 500kwatw F2 procharged street car!

My only advice, as an engine builder, is preparation. Plan - talk to everyone! Find reputable engine builders & tuners. Talk to them, tell them what YOU want to do, examine the pros & cons. Collect parts that are going to work for what you want, then start letting the spanners fly. Don't deviate from what you want your car to do (bigger numbers coming on at 6500rpm are not as good as slightly lower numbers at 4500rpm - depending on the application).That way,when tuning comes around, you won't be disappointed by a mismatch in parts.......

Ok, so your intake hasn't been greatly increased by a HUGE front mount. Are your cam sprockets standard? Is your intake manifold standard? How well does the Power FC handle the operation of them both?

Ok, so your intake hasn't been greatly increased by a HUGE front mount. Are your cam sprockets standard? Is your intake manifold standard? How well does the Power FC handle the operation of them both?

Sprockets and intake manifold are standard

Had to weld a new bracket for the wastegate as the one on the turbo wasnt strong enough to hold boost

Is your PFC causing this or is it an oil issue? The oil passages around there are pretty fine,make sure they aren't blocked. For a standard setup, when you hit 4000rpm, the engine should pull hard!

I ah, *AHEM* hate missing stuff, but yor PFC might be causing you issues.

My first question is, who tuned your car at Insight?

POSSIBLY, there could be timing issues that could hamper the operation of the VCT or manifold operation? Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong! How many km has your engine done? When was the timing belt changed, was it correctly fitted (as to cancel out a mismatch between crank & 120 degree reference 1 & 2 - 1 tooth advanced could make a difference!)?

Is your PFC causing this or is it an oil issue? The oil passages around there are pretty fine,make sure they aren't blocked. For a standard setup, when you hit 4000rpm, the engine should pull hard!

Unsure, my mechanic hasnt had a chance to have a look at the VCT since the tune

I'll mention this to him though

I ah, *AHEM* hate missing stuff, but yor PFC might be causing you issues.

My first question is, who tuned your car at Insight?

POSSIBLY, there could be timing issues that could hamper the operation of the VCT or manifold operation? Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong! How many km has your engine done? When was the timing belt changed, was it correctly fitted (as to cancel out a mismatch between crank & 120 degree reference 1 & 2 - 1 tooth advanced could make a difference!)?

Either Scott or Bob would of tuned it.

Engine has done early 150k from memory

Timing belt was replaced before I got the car (April last year)