SAU Community

R34 Auto N/a Sedan Performance Upgrades?

Hey guys i just bought a r34 sedan auto, i'm buying new rims this week and getting it lowered, getting a full exhaust upgrade, just wondering for those who live in melbourne where is a good place to get a dyno tune and how much am i looking at cash wise which is still no problem just curious on the approx gain i will be expecting?

To be blunt, it's not worth doing all that many performance mods to an auto N/A skyline. You'll never get value for money.

Are you going an aftermarket ECU? A nistune board (which you can't have put in an R34 Rb25 ECU) would cost the best part of $1000 to have installed and tuned and I'd be very suprised to see more than an 8-10kw increase, if that.

Edited by Truffles

yeah i heard everyone say the same thing that there is no point upgrading performance on a n/a skyline but in the end of the day it will be turbo one day since i am 22 and i would just like to slowly enhance its performance for when i get to the turbo stage. Money wise also isn't a big hassle since i do work and have saved to spend money on this car without breaking a sweat.

Much smarter and cheaper to upgrade a GTT, there are a lot more differences between a GTT and GT than just a simple turbo. Save your money and buy a GTT mate.

• Like 1

yeah i heard everyone say the same thing that there is no point upgrading performance on a n/a skyline but in the end of the day it will be turbo one day since i am 22 and i would just like to slowly enhance its performance for when i get to the turbo stage. Money wise also isn't a big hassle since i do work and have saved to spend money on this car without breaking a sweat.

It's not about money being an issue, it's just about being smart about your money. By the time you've finished upgrading everything, you could have purchased a GT-T manual coupe that will be faster for cheaper.

There's not much point in spending all this money on your N/A if you want to turbo it in the future.

The best choice (money wise) is to keep the N/A stock, save more money and then when you want to then upgrade to a modified GT-T.

I have a r34 gts manual coupe. And I really don't want to have to find a complete new whole car since graduating to my full licence, so being that I'm still very interested in a turbo.

Is my best bet buy and rb25dett and slotting that in place of my neo 6 rb25de.

Or buy a more costly better aftermarket turbo manifold accesories ect ? And bolting on and tuning ?

Not really sure about the r34, but in the case of the r33, the turbo version comes with bigger brakes, stronger gearbox, 5 stud hubs, lsd. So while people might want to keep the car they know, the cost of turboing a natro properly will cost roughly the same as buying a whole turbo vehicle.

Thank's guy's i won't work on the performance of my car just replaced the rim's and got it lowered looking to put in a new full exhaust system in the near future and i will just replace all the stock speaker's and not get sub's but yeah when i am full licensed i'll just import a gtr. Overall i am happy with the way my skyline handle's corner's at 90km without sliding out. Everyone gave me grief before buying this car saying it will be crap because you will have to pay to much for insurance ect ect,I barely payed over $500 for insurance, rwc and car transfer. I am happy i stuck with what i love which is a nissan import and not a ford or commodore.

• 1 month later...

Not really sure about the r34, but in the case of the r33, the turbo version comes with bigger brakes, stronger gearbox, 5 stud hubs, lsd. So while people might want to keep the car they know, the cost of turboing a natro properly will cost roughly the same as buying a whole turbo vehicle.

not just that the compressions in the NA and turbo engines are different, you cant just add a turbo to a NA engine with a tune and expect it to perform the same its always going to be sluggish and it would have been better off staying NA.

im in the same position as you, restricted license and i have a NA R34 GT-4, im more then happy with the car in every way for now and was considering a RB26 upgrade when i get off a restricted license because ive spent over 10k extra on my car already and am fairly attached to it but its just not worth it, in the end ill have to sell to get a turbo but knowing a GTR will follow wont make it to hard ;)

You will actually find that a natro with a turbo booked on will put out more power and be more responsive than a factory turbo at the same boost level because the natro runs higher compression. The issue us that a natro with a turbo will be more probe to pinging/detonation so you are restricted by how much boost you can run before it starts to ping, which will be lower than what you can run on a factory turbo engine.

• 3 weeks later...

do remember these motors have a turbo for a reason, a 2.5lt gutless reason. if its n/a for power its a v8. yet even a stock turbo is slow. hence why we modify