SAU Community

Decoding Bnr Vin/ Model Of R34Gtr

Hey guys

I have used the search feature in regards to VIN decoding, however it doesn't give me the info i'm looking for

Long story short, there is an R34GTR (listed as Vspec) which i was interested in but it's in a different state to where i'm located.

I believe I am allowed to post up the compliance and VIN of this car because it is public knowledge by Australian road authorities

The Australian compliance plate VIN is 6T91MPV9712BRA008 and the car is registered in VIC.

I have also attached the Jap Chassis no and model details on the compliance plate.

2 questions.

1. Almost all imported Skylines I have seen start the Australian VIN with 6U9xxxBNR34xxxx. Why would this VIN be so different? It is registered with VIC roads and can be searched using their free Rego check service

2. On the Jap compliance plate, i thought all BNR34's chassis number were 6 digits. I.E BNR34-123456. This chassis number has 7 digits being 0000710

Nissan Fast does not pick up this VIN either?

Whilst I am being considerate to the seller and trying not to waste his time, I think i am doing nothing wrong by putting these details up in public forum.

Can anyone help?

post-74132-0-02976800-1363138258_thumb.jpg

The first part can be explained - that new VIN would be correct if it was complied under the old system. The 6U9XXX deal only started with SEVS in 2005.

Secondly, that plate doesn't look legit to me. You mentioned the chassis number having an extra digit which is a fair giveaway, but also, have a look at the condition of the plate compared to the condition of the firewall around it.

Double-checking my R34 encyclopaedia, I reckon someone has scored themselves a blank plate and stamped that themselves. It's a very good stamping job, but it's not a factory one. I'd be curious to see what the chassis number on the firewall is (if it's there).

To answer your question, yes it can be registered anywhere fine, but I wouldn't trust its history as far as I could throw it based on that plate.

True^^

Is this car Sonic Silver in colour?

The paint code "KR4" indicates that it should be.

Geez that VIN Plate is scratched up!

And yes, the rivets that hold the plate to the wall don't seem to be the usual look.

This could be a case of stolen in Japan and recovered in Japan and sold.

Edit: not a stolen and then sold car.

I've had a car in a similar situation. Not a skyline. A soarer though. Had a similar Australian Vin.

Thanks Chef. I've def scratched the idea of looking at the car now.

Terry, yup, car is sonic silver. The car is on carsales for public viewing, so if you do a search for GTR's in the 40-50K range it wil be there :-)

Thanks Chef. I've def scratched the idea of looking at the car now.

Terry, yup, car is sonic silver. The car is on carsales for public viewing, so if you do a search for GTR's in the 40-50K range it wil be there :-)

Saw it. looks pretty neat. Pity about the vin plate.

So I had a poke around Google and I believe i found a VIN plate that is legitimate. Compared the two and just put it together in MSpaint. Something to think about for prospective buyers to look at?

Not sure if I've pointed out the areas of interest correct though

post-74132-0-12818400-1363156181_thumb.jpg

*Edited* Didn't read it correctly, after going back over it I realized my post was a complete waste and I looked like a tool :)

Edited by SoulScene

i know that my gtr has had the legitimate VIN on the firewall and another one placed under the front strut bar (the bar between shock absorbers in engine bay). It was quite a nice way to hide it and may be something that people dont notice. Also i believe the tag on the drivers side seatbelt where it bolts to the bottom sill near the door has information about the date the car was manufactured and other car info which you may find useful. Not sure if this is the same for all skylines/gtrs